Mini Review: GO-Vibe V6
Mar 10, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've got the one with the green LED, no? That's the version with the AD8397.

Oh. Yeah. I meant if I could desolder the current AD8397 and install the newer AD8620/AD861's into it. According to the site, that would give it better battery life and a 'more refined and detailed sound'.

But I guess it would be hard to solder something THAT small! Maybe I just won't bother. It sounds good enough as it is!

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. Yeah. I meant if I could desolder the current AD8397 and install the newer AD8620/AD861's into it. According to the site, that would give it better battery life and a 'more refined and detailed sound'.

But I guess it would be hard to solder something THAT small! Maybe I just won't bother. It sounds good enough as it is!

How long have you had your GV6? I'd give it more than a couple of weeks before you consider butchering an already excellent unit. I doubt very strongly the AD8387 is inferior in sound quality in any way to the revised unit. Just different. And different, depending upon your specific variables, i.e. headphones, DAP, etc, isn't always better.

Enjoy your GV6 as is.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

I have the AD8620 in my V5S on premounted Brown Dog adapters and they are just silly-tiny! I certainly wouldn't try it.

I've heard the AD8397 on another V5 and it was very impressive. If you can live with the lower battery-life, it should be a keeper. Besides, you can simply recharge it overnight and you're all set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, let us all join in a Head-Fi moment of silence for the wallet of a fellow Head-Fier. There, now I can congratulate you on your new amp purchase. Back in late 2003, when I was looking to buy my first headphone amp, it would have been SO sweet to have been able to pick up an amp as capable as the amps in the Go-Vibe line have become for as little as the price of a Go-Vibe V6. As it was, I ended up spending $400-ish on a PPA (which I am still using very happily today), but everytime a Go-Vibe V(N+1) comes out, the margin between the latest Go-Vibe and my PPA becomes ever narrower. So, again, allow me to enjoy with you your new amp purchase.

* observing the silence with much trepidation
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #51 of 58
Dang! I pulled the trigger last night and I am USD135 poorer. My GV6 will be shipped this Monday and should arrive within 6-10 days time (to Malaysia).

Norm will prep my GV6 specifically for use with ETYMOTIC ER-4S and will be set at 2.8 Gain (AD8620/8610)

I am already happy with my zune + ER-4S synergy, but I do need some help with soundstaging and perhaps more control with instrument separation. Transparency is a must for me because I loved the sonic presentation of zune/ER-4S - let's see if GV6 can give me all those.

I have given up hope on SuperMicro IV because my order took forever. Dr. Xin didn't even bother to reply to my mails properly. But Norm on the other hand responded to me immediately. The moment my Paypal was charged he instantly furnished me with shipping details - that's super customer service if you ask me.

When I have my GV6, be on the lookout on my review which I plan to write extensively (Synergy with zune, Rio Karma & Notebook PC)

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenzee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8397-equipped V6 is an absolutely beautiful sounding amp.

I absolutely and enthusiastically concur. Now that I am done "reviewing" it for myself and picking at the things I wished I were a little different, I am finding its strengths growing on me more and more.

I am still ordering the 8620 version (because I'm both curious and hopeful), but the 8397 version is so good that I will not mind one bit the wait for the new one.

It's a wonderful piece of work.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang! I pulled the trigger last night and I am USD135 poorer. My GV6 will be shipped this Monday and should arrive within 6-10 days time (to Malaysia).

Norm will prep my GV6 specifically for use with ETYMOTIC ER-4S and will be set at 2.8 Gain (AD8620/8610)

I am already happy with my zune + ER-4S synergy, but I do need some help with soundstaging and perhaps more control with instrument separation. Transparency is a must for me because I loved the sonic presentation of zune/ER-4S - let's see if GV6 can give me all those.

I have given up hope on SuperMicro IV because my order took forever. Dr. Xin didn't even bother to reply to my mails properly. But Norm on the other hand responded to me immediately. The moment my Paypal was charged he instantly furnished me with shipping details - that's super customer service if you ask me.

When I have my GV6, be on the lookout on my review which I plan to write extensively (Synergy with zune, Rio Karma & Notebook PC)

Great! You won't regret it.

Good thing your writing a proper review, as I certainly couldn't... Its harder than I thought to write reviews of things :O

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

But I guess it would be hard to solder something THAT small!

Two suggestions if you are really considering this:

1. Watch Tangent's soldering tutorial movies, especially the one about surface-mount devices.

2. Read some of the PINT agony threads to get a feel for how easy it is to mess up with these small parts. And many of these were experienced builders.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang! I pulled the trigger last night and I am USD135 poorer.

First, let us all join in a Head-Fi moment of silence for the wallet of a fellow Head-Fier. There, now I can congratulate you on your new amp purchase. Back in late 2003, when I was looking to buy my first headphone amp, it would have been SO sweet to have been able to pick up an amp as capable as the amps in the Go-Vibe line have become for as little as the price of a Go-Vibe V6. As it was, I ended up spending $400-ish on a PPA (which I am still using very happily today), but everytime a Go-Vibe V(N+1) comes out, the margin between the latest Go-Vibe and my PPA becomes ever narrower. So, again, allow me to enjoy with you your new amp purchase.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #56 of 58
for those of you who've gotten your govibe v6s. how long does your battery last? i bought to whole package (v6, battery, charger/power supply) off the go vibe website from norm. the battery for me probably lasts about 6-8 hours at most. is this normal? i thought it would last a lot longer. when the battery is going out the sound starts getting all funky. bass gets distorted, vocal frequencies are completely cut out, etc...

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for those of you who've gotten your govibe v6s. how long does your battery last? i bought to whole package (v6, battery, charger/power supply) off the go vibe website from norm. the battery for me probably lasts about 6-8 hours at most. is this normal? i thought it would last a lot longer. when the battery is going out the sound starts getting all funky. bass gets distorted, vocal frequencies are completely cut out, etc...

Looks like you got the first version with the high-current AD8397 op-amp, which eats power like there's no tomorrow. I'm sure this is the reason Norm switched to the AD8620.

So if it's not working out for you, you should contact Norm and he'll probably swap it for the newer one.
cool.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for those of you who've gotten your govibe v6s. how long does your battery last?

On a full charge with the AD8397, approximately 8-9hrs @ 50% volume driving my HD650, 10-12hrs using iem's. AD8620, 28-30hrs in similar conditions. This is with the optional MAHA 230mah battery.

I've been using Energizer E2 (alkaline) since Friday (I forgot my charger), so far, 70+hrs and still playing.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back