Mini Review: GO-Vibe V6
Mar 8, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #31 of 58
Great photos and a nice continuation of your review!
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear the issues you had have been cleared-up with the new version.

Do you know whether this new version is compatible with a 24V external power supply, like the V5 is with the same op-amps? It makes a very big improvement in sound quality with my V5S.

Cheers, Dex

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lz7j, how long did shipping take?

It was shipped on Monday and I received it on Wednesday - 2 days
smily_headphones1.gif

Just note that Norm lives 2hrs (drive away) from me.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great photos and a nice continuation of your review!
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear the issues you had have been cleared-up with the new version.

Do you know whether this new version is compatible with a 24V external power supply, like the V5 is with the same op-amps? It makes a very big improvement in sound quality with my V5S.

Cheers, Dex

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not certain whether or not it is compatible. However, Norm will attest that the new V6 at 12v is superior to the V5 using the 24v ELPAC.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 58
I'd like to chime in with my *initial* thoughts of the V6. The only headphone amp that I have used besides this one is the Xenos 0HA-REP (new version) so I have nothing else to compare it with. And I am using it with an AKG K-501.

The first thing I noticed right off the bat was how much punch the V6 packs. The K501 which is very demanding if you want bass out of it and it sounded noticeably fuller and had more bass than the Xenos.

Secondly, I dont know how to explain this but - it just feels like a faster amp. I can sense the fast back-and-forth movements of the violin bows in "Flight of the Bumble Bee" in the "Bolero" album made by Reference Recordings recorded at the MN state orchestra (which I think is the fastest paced flight of the bumble bee I have heard yet). But in the xenos it appears to be a little fuzzy.

And finally I think the V6 has a smooth pleasant texture to the sound v/s the xenos that has a little sharp steely sound - like the edgy sound of dominant odd order harmonics. But that would have to wait a couple of weeks till I do a full blown RMAA test to confirm that.

If anyone can affirm (or dispute) these observations please feel free to sound off.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #35 of 58
I also recieved my go-vibe v6 yesterday. ill try giving it a review in a few days after i've burned it in but the problem i have right now is when im using the line out out of my av710, i hear a very present hiss from the amp if i turn the gain. im using a low gain version with grado 225 and it is annoying when i can hear it prevalently during quiet parts in songs. the higher the gain i turn on the amp, the louder the hiss is. but then if i use it on my laptop or ipod, the hiss is still there but a lot less apparent. meaning i'd have to turn the gain higher to hear it. so im thinking it my be my soundcard. any ideas on how to fix this?

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lz7j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, Norm will attest that the new V6 at 12v is superior to the V5 using the 24v ELPAC.

When Norm first expressed this sentiment on his site, he was referring to the AD8397/825 pairing which accepts a maximum voltage of 12V.

I've heard the difference that a 24V supply makes to the AD8620/8610 pairing in the V5 and it is not subtle. So if the V6 will only perform at 12V maximum due to its charging capability, I would think that the other aspects of the design would need to make up a lot of ground for it to exceed the performance of the V5 at 24V with the same op-amps.

So hopefully, somebody who has both on-hand will come along with some comparative impressions.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recieved my go-vibe v6 yesterday. ill try giving it a review in a few days after i've burned it in but the problem i have right now is when im using the line out out of my av710, i hear a very present hiss from the amp if i turn the gain. im using a low gain version with grado 225 and it is annoying when i can hear it prevalently during quiet parts in songs. the higher the gain i turn on the amp, the louder the hiss is. but then if i use it on my laptop or ipod, the hiss is still there but a lot less apparent. meaning i'd have to turn the gain higher to hear it. so im thinking it my be my soundcard. any ideas on how to fix this?

It is evident the go-vibe is amplifying the hiss from your source (sound card). I've encountered the same problem using my av710, directly connected to my amp. The consensus agrees the underlying problem is caused by electronic interference within the computer case. Sadly, your notebook will suffer from the same interference, mildly exacerbated in my laptop. Generally, they tend to be worse due to the poor onboard sound card embedded in them.

I eliminated the hiss, while improving the sound quality by adding an external dac into my audio chain (EMU 0404usb). There are other cheaper alternatives like the TBAAM ($20 ext. soundcard).

Are you using your ipods line out dock? If not, it is something to look into.

Does your amp hiss without any source plugged into the input?

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to chime in with my *initial* thoughts of the V6. The only headphone amp that I have used besides this one is the Xenos 0HA-REP (new version) so I have nothing else to compare it with. And I am using it with an AKG K-501.

The first thing I noticed right off the bat was how much punch the V6 packs. The K501 which is very demanding if you want bass out of it and it sounded noticeably fuller and had more bass than the Xenos.

Secondly, I dont know how to explain this but - it just feels like a faster amp. I can sense the fast back-and-forth movements of the violin bows in "Flight of the Bumble Bee" in the "Bolero" album made by Reference Recordings recorded at the MN state orchestra (which I think is the fastest paced flight of the bumble bee I have heard yet). But in the xenos it appears to be a little fuzzy.

And finally I think the V6 has a smooth pleasant texture to the sound v/s the xenos that has a little sharp steely sound - like the edgy sound of dominant odd order harmonics. But that would have to wait a couple of weeks till I do a full blown RMAA test to confirm that.

If anyone can affirm (or dispute) these observations please feel free to sound off.

I for one can echo your findings. I'm assuming you received the newer version with the ad8620/8610 op-amps installed.
lambda.gif

Just curious, is your led light green or blue? And did you get the low or standard gain version?

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #39 of 58
funny you should ask - actually I just learnt about the whole AD8397->AD8620 saga with the V6 only a couple of hours ago!!. I honestly dont know whether to be happy or sad about it or whether it makes any difference but mine's an AD8397 with a green led, regular gain.
I had no clue this was in the works when I ordered my V6 last week.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #40 of 58
I received the 8397 version yesterday (long transit time to California). Overall it really is noticeably better (cleaner-sounding, more open, more detailed) than the V5 w/LM6171. And that's saying a lot: I liked the V5 enough that it completely replaced my SR-71, which I sold.

Yet in small ways the V6/8397 is somewhat less to my taste than the V5/6171 was. I listen on Etys, and one of the things I liked about the V5 was the way it delivered really clear, sharp attacks - percussive hits had a lot of snap. The V6/8397 mutes those attacks a little bit, and that's a disappointment (though not necessarily a huge one, and possibly completely irrelevant if you're listening on something that doesn't go up as high as the Etys).

So I'm looking forward to reading more impressions of the V6/8620. From what I've read so far, it sounds like it may be just what I want.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yet in small ways the V6/8397 is somewhat less to my taste than the V5/6171 was. I listen on Etys, and one of the things I liked about the V5 was the way it delivered really clear, sharp attacks - percussive hits had a lot of snap. The V6/8397 mutes those attacks a little bit, and that's a disappointment (though not necessarily a huge one, and possibly completely irrelevant if you're listening on something that doesn't go up as high as the Etys).

So I'm looking forward to reading more impressions of the V6/8620. From what I've read so far, it sounds like it may be just what I want.

The AD8397 is a fuller sounding op-amp, yet I feel it colours the sound by a tad in some cases (classical, jazz) while the ad8620 is a lighter sounding amp - very airy and produces a larger soundstage. The latter is a wonderful op-amp; out of the box, I favoured the ad8620 version over the burned-in ad8397. If fast, concise, sharp and energy is what you're looking for, I'm willing to bet my gv6 (ad8620) is the ticket for you. It's really up to your preference neither is essentially better. It all depends on usage and existing hardware. Give the ad8397 some more time to mature and it will sound less congested and slow once it settles.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 58
I had a little bit of that feeling about the AD8397 -- a PINT I have affects me somewhat the same way. It's almost slightly AD843-ish. In some configurations I've found the 8620 a little too "splashy" in the highs for my taste, but I'll give the GV6/8620 a try.

Thanks very much.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny you should ask - actually I just learnt about the whole AD8397->AD8620 saga with the V6 only a couple of hours ago!!. I honestly dont know whether to be happy or sad about it or whether it makes any difference but mine's an AD8397 with a green led, regular gain.
I had no clue this was in the works when I ordered my V6 last week.

The AD8397-equipped V6 is an absolutely beautiful sounding amp. I received mine from Norm about a week ago and after running no fewer than 6 different pairs of headphones through it (from CX300's to Portapro's, Marshmallows to Sony DJ cans) I am nothing less than 100% satisfied with the product. I'm sure once Norm receives the GV6 in question (K81DJ noise) he'll be able to effectively diagnose. I'll look forward to those findings, if they become available.

Norm and his products have a fan for life in me. Terrific product, service, and person, esp. for the price.

GZ

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenzee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8397-equipped V6 is an absolutely beautiful sounding amp. I received mine from Norm about a week ago and after running no fewer than 6 different pairs of headphones through it (from CX300's to Portapro's, Marshmallows to Sony DJ cans) I am nothing less than 100% satisfied with the product. I'm sure once Norm receives the GV6 in question (K81DJ noise) he'll be able to effectively diagnose. I'll look forward to those findings, if they become available.

Norm and his products have a fan for life in me. Terrific product, service, and person, esp. for the price.

GZ

How hard is it to desolder my current older opamp in my V6 and replace it with the newer AD8397? I've never done anything in audio DIY... Could I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back