Mini Review: GO-Vibe V6
Mar 2, 2007 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

lz7j

New Head-Fier
I ordered a Go-Vibe V6 standard-gain (4), with a rechargeable MAHA 230mah battery, 12v circuit-test adapter and a 6’ mini-mini Cardas cable.

The package arrived 4 days later in a secured box with popcorn filling, each part sealed in individual bags. Well packaged.

The amp is housed in the Hammond aluminum case with durable plastic end caps securing the board. The volume knob feels nice – firm, but smooth at the same time. Adjusting the volume, there’s no scratches unlike my PA2V2 (low-gain, 2.5). Overall, I’m very impressed with the build quality. No imperfections that I’ve noticed.

gv_1.jpg

gv_2.jpg

The equipment I used is as follows:
Headphones – Sennheiser HD600 (with HD650 drivers and HD650 cable), AKG K701 (still burning in, 30 hours), AKG K81dj’s (150+hrs) and both my Westone UM1/UM2.

Source – Creative Zen Vision: M using the LOD and Cardas mini-mini interconnect cable. MP3’s encoded via LAME - - extreme.

gv_3.jpg

Other amps – EM-U 0404 usb, RSA Hornet M (friends amp 250+hrs, iirc) and a PA2V2.

gv_.jpg

The GV6 has been burning in for 50+hrs using pink noise. And so far, here are my initial impressions regarding SQ.

For this test, I used my ‘HD625’. Before I start, I’d like to point out that there’s no “thump” during turn on or audible hiss with high impedance cans (HD625 and K701). However, with my iem’s (UM1/UM2), the ‘thump’ is audible on turn on and off (static fade off) – this might not be the case with the low-gain version. Also, it’s true what they say about the Hornet M. NO NOISE!

Soundstage - free flowing, good depth and width. I can vividly pin point instruments while listening to my limited collection of Classical music.

Mids – Transparent, good clarity and delivery. I feel that the sound isn’t tainted with warmness, unlike the PA2v2. The sonic signature is similar to the Hornet M. With the HD625 connected through my ZVM’s headphone jack at max volume, it sounded very anemic, lacking with no energy. With the GV6 inline, my 300ohm cans are being driven effortlessly. Listening to “The Art of Glenn Gould,” I was very surprised to hear the intricate details in the background – ie: him breathing.

Treble – Clear, good extension and has air. To be frank, I’m not too sure what to listen when it comes to treble. Though, I can attest that the GV6 sounds much like my friends Hornet M in both mids and highs.

Bass – Punchy, powerful and extends deeply. Not quite as much as the Hornet. This is where I was able to discern the two. I’m able to replicate the Hornet M bass performance with adjusting the EQ. At 80hz by + 3db and 250hz by + 1db.

On a blind test between three people, none of us were able to correctly guess which amp was used between the GV6 (EQ adjusted to compensate for bass) and Hornet M. Even with no EQ, it is still very difficult to correctly guess.
Songs used were: Beethoven - Symphony No.9 (Scherzo), Martha Wainwright – I Will Internalize, N.E.R.D – Things Are Getting Better.

Battery life – charges in 4hrs. With high impedance cans at 50% volume, I’m able to get an average of 9-10hrs using the 230Mah optional battery.

Problems with my GV6:
I’ve contacted Norm regarding a problem with my AKG K81DJ’s (2 weeks old), stock other than the foam removed. For the life of me, I can’t get these headphones to work properly with my GV6. Anything pass the 10 o’clock position, clipping/distortion starts and a blanket of white noise is added. Once the white noise ensues, I can turn the volume to minimum and yet, the white noise is still audibly present. I would have to turn the amp completely off for 2-3 seconds for the white noise to dissipate. I tried everything to no avail – whatever I do, I still can’t pass the 10 o’clock position on the volume knob. And no, it’s not my headphones as the problem does not exist on the Hornet M, PA2v2, or my EM-U 0404usb. Norm has offered to send me a low-gain version to see if the problem can be alleviated. Talk about customer service!

I’ll report back.

Thanks for reading!

UPDATE March 8/06

I received the new Go-Vibe V6 from Norm yesterday as promised. He sent me a low-gain version with the revised op-amps (AD8620/8610). I'm here to report that the problems with my AKG K81dj's no longer exists with the new amp!

Sound quality has improved in a dramatic sense, to my hearing. The AD8397 sounds warmer compared to the AD8620 - which is brighter, more analytical/detailed op-amp. Fast!

gv_4.jpg

new - top. With the blue LED.
gv_5.jpg

Sound Quality

Mids: Slightly recessed. It's not as pronounced or forward as the AD8397. Still clear and well defined.

Treble: So that's how it's supposed to sound! Breathes new life in my flat sounding K81's (I didn't know that these could sound like Grado's with healthier bass) and UM1's. Crispyness that extends in the higher range. The new soundstage is phenomenal - 'much larger than life'. Lots of 'air'.

Bass: Not as prominent as the AD8397, but still tight, refined and textured.

--------------------------------------------

PROS: Synergizes especially well with my "dark" sounding HD650's. Compliments my other cans quite good, too (k701, k81, um1/um2). Longer battery life (3x) 28-30 hours. More powerful! Despite of this amp being the low-gain version, it powers my high-impedance cans the same as the standard-gain AD8397, same volume position. Background noise/hiss is less using my sensitive iem's to check.

Now I can plug in/out my headphones without turning the amp off. You can't do that without risking damage to the op-amp using the AD8397 - from Norm.

CONS: Turn on thump is more audible, turning off thump is even louder, "turn on/off noise is normal and harmless" according to Norm.

I tried a pair of Grado sr60's with the new amp. To my ears, it was too shrilly and unpleasant. I guess I'm too much of a basshead and slightly unattuned to good sound, says a friend who loves the grado + ad8620 combo.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 58
Nice review, would you say this is a significant step up from the pa2v2? I've been looking for a rechargable replacement that I can use both as a home and a portable amp.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW have you checked the plug in your K81DJ?

Hey mrarroyo, what should I be looking at?

To me, it seems like a grounding issue. If I insert the plug half way into the GV6 (only left channel working), the problem I mentioned isn't there.
Then again, the k81's work perfectly fine with the Hornet and PA2v2. I'm puzzled
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, would you say this is a significant step up from the pa2v2? I've been looking for a rechargable replacement that I can use both as a home and a portable amp.

Yes, I can assure you that the GV6 is a marginal step up from the PA2V2. The only thing I liked about the PA2v2 was the battery life. On certain passages, the PA2v2 seemed very congested and I didn't like how it warmed/coloured the sound on my Senns.

Apparently, Norm has revised his GV6 by substituting the op-amps ad8397/825 to the ad8620/8610 to better battery life...

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 58
i bet for whatever reason you're getting some oscillation with the k81's...but i'm no expert...and i'm waiting for my GV6 to arrive any time soon, and i'll see how my k81's react...

the AD8397/AD825 combo's main advantage is having a lot of current output (and subsequent higher current drain) and actually drain the batteries faster. But the high current is why the amp can drive headphones directly without an output buffer. It can be quite the tricky opamp for some...

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 58
Nice review! There are some of these on the way for me (Thanks to the coolest head-fi'er ever, jmmtn4aj) so its good to know that they are good!

I think they were ordered yesterday... So hopefully I'll get it with the new op-amps?

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 58
good review. I also have a ZVM but have never considered hooking up headphones via the adapter on the bottom, but rather using the point on the top. I will now give this a go. Have you found it much better than using the top??

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by goobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good review. I also have a ZVM but have never considered hooking up headphones via the adapter on the bottom, but rather using the point on the top. I will now give this a go. Have you found it much better than using the top??

Using that to plug in your headphones and not a headphone amp in-line will make your ears explode.

Nice review. I was considering one of these but am too afraid that V7 might be right around the corner or something.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using that to plug in your headphones and not a headphone amp in-line will make your ears explode.

Nice review. I was considering one of these but am too afraid that V7 might be right around the corner or something.

Thanks to this review I have found that hooking my govibe in via ZVM bottom LOC is much better than using top.

This is slightly off topic but I have compared my GV4 with 8620 opamp (the one now being put in the GV6) and it is better than my stock standard GV5 with better treble.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lz7j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, Norm has revised his GV6 by substituting the op-amps ad8397/825 to the ad8620/8610 to better battery life...

Gosh, it's getting pretty difficult to keep up with Norm these days. After a nice build-up for the V6, he's already switched things around again.

Now I am so happy I got the V5S! I installed the AD8620/8610 just over a week ago and it's sounding really sweet, especially at 24V (or 22V, with my D.I.Y. 2x9.6V external battery pack):

BrMeet15.jpg

Unfortunately for those considering the GV V6, I'm guessing that 24V is no longer an option due to the charging circuitry, which is a real shame because of the substantial gain in performance to be had at higher voltages.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 58
Ooh cant wait till my Govibe 6 arrives! Only problem is, I don't think it will have the new op-amps... Is there a way to replace the current ones with the new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back