Mini-RCA cable for iPod
Jun 6, 2009 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mellows

100+ Head-Fier
I want to make my own Mini-RCA cable and I've seen the tutorial. My problem is my iPod's cover -only a very narrow jack (~9mm) will fit through it into the iPod's earphone-out port.

Could someone please provide a link to find such a jack. Nothing over the top - just something that will fit.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 17
AFAIK, You're not going to find a DIY plug that small.. because it would be impossible to solder wires and screw the top on to a plug like that.

I suggest you make an LOD -> RCA cable instead.
Since you're going to RCA, I assume that it is connecting to an amp of some sort.
.. This would be the better way to do it anyway. (SQ wise)

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 17
Perhaps a Neutrik? Those have a "angled rigde" that might just fit.. I don't know the exact word for it in English
tongue.gif

Neutrik%203.5mm%20Jack.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 17
nullstring,
The reason I wanted to make my own was because I thought it would be easier to find more different types of plugs that way, but I don't mind getting a pre-built one. Why would a LOD have better sound quality? It's still using the iPod's DAC. But that is actually a good idea, probably more convenient too. Yes, to plug into an amp.

Bonthouse,
Ya that looks like a possibility. Got a link?

tenzip,
The case is a combination of hard rubber and glass type stuff - enlarging the hole wouldn't be so easy. But yes, a LOD seems good, my stingy self is just worrie about the increase price though...

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 17
The reason a LOD sounds better is because it doesn't have the iPods low quality amp in the path. And it has a line-out volume, not an adjustable one.

Try looking for the nearest shop that sells them via Google. I have no idea who sells them in South Africa..
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 17
As bonthouse said, it sounds better because it bypasses the ipod's crappy amp stage. The DAC in 5G ipods is actually quite good FWIR.

The price increase is negligible for me.. (increased by $4USD), but I'm sure things are a bit different in south Africa because of shipping.
iPod/iPhone Dock Connector ordering

Anyway, the Neutrik connector that Bonthouse displayed is a NYS231BG.
There are different colors.. but all in the series start with NYS231.

good luck

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 17
If you can stretch to 9.5mm then the narrow Pailiccs plug will fit.

Edit: The Neutriks one Bont posted I just measured at 9mm so that's your plug right there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 17
I have created VERY inexpensive LOD cables buy purchasing ipod USB cables on ebay for around $1.90 each with shipping and the neutrik connectors from Dale for under $2.00 shipped. The ipod dock connector was fairly easy to open and the pins pulled out and were easy to put in the proper position for left right and ground. I then cut off the USB connetor and soldered on the neutrik mini connector...viola LOD cable. Cheap, yeah, works, you betcha! You can build something better for more $$ later but an LOD for under $4.00, you decide.
[edit] Sorry I noticed that you wanted RCA, please substitute some RCAs for the mini jack. I have used the cheap cables that always ship with audio gear that I never use but seem to accumulate. They will do in a pinch!

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have created VERY inexpensive LOD cables buy purchasing ipod USB cables on ebay for around $1.90 each with shipping and the neutrik connectors from Dale for under $2.00 shipped. The ipod dock connector was fairly easy to open and the pins pulled out and were easy to put in the proper position for left right and ground. I then cut off the USB connetor and soldered on the neutrik mini connector...viola LOD cable. Cheap, yeah, works, you betcha! You can build something better for more $$ later but an LOD for under $4.00, you decide.
[edit] Sorry I noticed that you wanted RCA, please substitute some RCAs for the mini jack. I have used the cheap cables that always ship with audio gear that I never use but seem to accumulate. They will do in a pinch!

Hey, can you link to the specific ipod USB cable you bought?

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

The reason a LOD sounds better is because it doesn't have the iPods low quality amp in the path. And it has a line-out volume, not an adjustable one.

Try looking for the nearest shop that sells them via Google. I have no idea who sells them in South Africa..

Oh right. Ya I'll have to order from overseas, nothing doing here in SA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

As bonthouse said, it sounds better because it bypasses the ipod's crappy amp stage. The DAC in 5G ipods is actually quite good FWIR.

The price increase is negligible for me.. (increased by $4USD), but I'm sure things are a bit different in south Africa because of shipping.
iPod/iPhone Dock Connector ordering

Anyway, the Neutrik connector that Bonthouse displayed is a NYS231BG.
There are different colors.. but all in the series start with NYS231.

good luck

Thanks for the link. I've just emailed them to see if they can make and send me a LOD cable. Ya I'm just wary of ordering a cable all the way from the US only for it to arrive and not work. The LOD idea is quite attractive

Quote:

If you can stretch to 9.5mm then the narrow Pailiccs plug will fit.

Edit: The Neutriks one Bont posted I just measured at 9mm so that's your plug right there

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Quote:

Hey that's also a possibility. I've got the standard USB cable that comes with the new iPods (the very thin connector). And I actually have older ones. Have you got a link to a tutorial for finding the right connectors inside the connector etc? I would probably still have to order the cable and RCA connectors from the US...

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Jun 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Jun 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 17
It is a bit fiddly, but I just applied pressure with a pen knife blade and worked the seams. Gently does it though. It came apart cleanly, I swapped the pins about secured them with a dab of hot glue and then superglued it together again after I tested for continuity and shorts. Be careful lots of small parts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back