Mini-->RCA adapter-->IC vs. Mini-->RCA short cable
May 8, 2003 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a DIY mini to RCA cable right now that I made with Belden 89259, Cardas SRCA's and Neutrik mini plug and though it's nice I find the Belden 89259 a little bright.

Scenario One:

Get a short Mini to RCA cable like the kind from Bolder, the Pivot, Kimber, etc. Even heard good things about the Acoustic Research.

Scenario Two:

I have a pair of Bolder Cables Type 2 (with Bybee inline filters) interconnects that are fantastic cables, besting many under $300 cables I have owned and would love to use them and would pair them with a mini to RCA hard adapter like the one in the picture from Radio Shack. Or, try to find a better mini to RCA hard adapter of higher quality. Anyone know who makes a good one? I love the sound of these interconnects, they are very full and a little warmer sounding and could be great paired with my Sonica/computer digital source and the quite detailed Gilmore V2 amp.

274-883.jpg

I know that adding the hard adapter brings in more connectors, that's a negative. The signal path is quite short though and I would get to use the nice IC's I have. Not to mention cost is very low, I'd only be looking at $6 for the Radio Shack model or if I found a higher quality adapter I can't imagine it would be too expensive.

Any opinions?

Source: Sonica
Phones: HD600/Cardas
Amp: Gilmore V2.

May 9, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 11
IME the advantages of the better cable tend to outweigh anything the adapter is doing. I'd say use the adapter if you've got decent interconnects. I've used them from time to time, and haven't heard anything objectionable.

May 9, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 11
I also wonder if there's any good mini to RCA cable that can rival a high quality interconnect mated to the radioshack adapter. Until I get something better than a supermini, I want the best solution that goes from RCA to mini.

May 9, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
IME the advantages of the better cable tend to outweigh anything the adapter is doing. I'd say use the adapter if you've got decent interconnects. I've used them from time to time, and haven't heard anything objectionable.

Thanks, Hirsch. I was kind of hoping you might reply. I found a whole bunch of posts you made not too long ago about the Acoustic Research cables and in them you mentioned there is two series in particular that were decent. I've been thinking of giving the $12 three foot mini to RCA cable people talk about. You had said their line of cables above these were a little better, more transparent but also a little darker. That interests me, do you know if they make a mini to RCA cable in that higher up line of cables? The Acoustic Research web site has been down recently so I have been unable to find this out myself.

Well, I decided I'd get over to Rat Shack and pick up an adapter today. I'm not hearing anything at all objectionable but am hearing a much more pleasant and refined sound now with that interconnect in the loop. This Bolder cable is basically a shielded Jon Risch 89259/89248 twisted pair with Bybee filters/Cardas SRCA's. Have used them for quite some time and haven't found better, perhaps others with a tad bit more detail but they have a hard time matching the tonal performance of these cables. Straight 89259, which is what I was using in a DIY mini to RCA, is good but a little light and slightly too bright sounding. Currently using a Sonica as source and matched with the Gilmore V2 it's been detail overload. That's even with the HD600's.

Starting to wonder if I might want to give the Equinox a try as I hear it's a little more forgiving than the Cardas. ever heard both the Cardas and Equinox?

May 9, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 11
I was wondering about this too, thinking maybe I should replace my IC + adapter with a RCA-> mini cable.

But this has reassured me, thanks Hirsch. :)

May 11, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I know that adding the hard adapter brings in more connectors, that's a negative. The signal path is quite short though and I would get to use the nice IC's I have. Not to mention cost is very low, I'd only be looking at $6 for the Radio Shack model or if I found a higher quality adapter I can't imagine it would be too expensive.

A [/B]

Sean,

the RS adaptors are not good. Grado one sounds better if you have to use adaptors.

May 11, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, Kuma. I just checked the Grado web site and don't see a small mini--> female RCA adapter like the Radio Shack adapter in the picture I posted in this thread above. I see they have some adapters but not seeing a 1/8" stereo mini --> female RCA adapter. Send me a link to it if you can. Thanks.

May 12, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Thanks, Hirsch. I was kind of hoping you might reply. I found a whole bunch of posts you made not too long ago about the Acoustic Research cables and in them you mentioned there is two series in particular that were decent. I've been thinking of giving the $12 three foot mini to RCA cable people talk about. You had said their line of cables above these were a little better, more transparent but also a little darker. That interests me, do you know if they make a mini to RCA cable in that higher up line of cables? The Acoustic Research web site has been down recently so I have been unable to find this out myself.

Starting to wonder if I might want to give the Equinox a try as I hear it's a little more forgiving than the Cardas. ever heard both the Cardas and Equinox?

I've got the AR Premium series AR mini to RCA (blue cable, $12 at Best Buy). It's a decent cable, particularly at the price. Still, something like the Kimber RCA to mini at Headroom is a better cable. I haven't heard of an RCA to mini in the other AR series, but it's been awhile since I've looked. It's all a matter of how much you want to pay. I'm intrigued by the RCA to mini at Boldercables.com, but price is starting to climb...

I've heard both the Equinox and Cardas Senn cables, but haven't compared them directly. I'm happy enough with the Cardas that I'm in no hurry to buy another cable. It's been too long since I heard the Equinox for any comments about its sound quality from me to be meaningful.

May 12, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I'm intrigued by the RCA to mini at Boldercables.com, but price is starting to climb...

I have been quite happy with my Bolder M-80 mini to RCA; it's very flexible and sounds great.

However, I decided to sell all my portable gear, and don't need this cable anymore. It's up for sale here, if you're interested (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=33311)

May 12, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Toby
Does anybody make a mini to mini cable negating the need for an adaptor?

Lots of companies do. Most popular commercial brands (monster, AR, radioshack) all have mini-mini cables. If you're looking for a step up from that, I recommend MarkerTek (I have one of these).

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back