Mini plug keeps falling out of amp...
Mar 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gbx2006

100+ Head-Fier
I have done a lot of searching, and I can not seem to find a solution to keeping a mini plug from falling out of my portable amp.

The headphones mini plug in the amp (2move) is so loose, even if I move the amp the wrong way, it pops out sometimes. Like moving it from one table to another, it pops out for sure.

Does anyone have an ideas for keeping the plug connected securely to the amp?

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Pics?
eek.gif

That really doesn't sound right at all; without looking at pictures of your amp, I'd say you got a lemon.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Send it back to get checked out. I would in a second.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the quick replies.

I really can not say it is the amps fault. I think it is a combination of the Ultrasone HFI-780 ALO MODIFIED JenaLabs Cryo cable headphones and this amp together.

This is one sweet cable on these headphones, but it is so much stiffer and heavier then the stock cable, that is pulls the plug right out the amp every time I move.

Plus the headphone jack on this amp is recessed, which I do not think is helping the situation any either.

I was trying to think of a way to add something to the plug itself to make it fit tighter, but I do not want to put anything in the headphone jack that will cause it to lose connection.

Tricky situation.

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 13
This is actually normal. Unfortunate, but normal. My 2move, and most others it seems have this trait. I cannot walk around with my Neutrik/mini starquad recabled Grados without having to plug it back in a few times.

The issue is a combination of the headphone jacks being a bit recessed, and the jacks not having enough clamping power to begin with.

Though it is annoying, it's my only gripe with the amp.

A small modification can be made to the PCB in order to bring the jacks forward. Attempt at your own risk.

Info about the mod, and others having jack problems can be found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/my-...oday-p-292201/

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 13
If the 2move has the same jacks as the Headsix I used to own, that's normal. For some reason, he didn't use locking jacks. Seems like a pretty stupid decision.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 13
gbx2006;3933047 said:
Plus the headphone jack on this amp is recessed, which I do not think is helping the situation any either.
I found this was the problem I had with HD595's falling out of the headphone jack of an iBasso D1 using the Sennheiser-supplied 1/4"-to-mini adaptor. I bought a short 1/4"-to-mini cable, and have not had the problem of the plug falling out since.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done a lot of searching, and I can not seem to find a solution to keeping a mini plug from falling out of my portable amp.

The headphones mini plug in the amp (2move) is so loose, even if I move the amp the wrong way, it pops out sometimes. Like moving it from one table to another, it pops out for sure.

Does anyone have an ideas for keeping the plug connected securely to the amp?

In all of my years here, I've never seen this complaint...but when I saw the subject of your thread, I knew it was a 2Move. I had a 2Move and had similar problems and returned it last week.

The jacks on the 2Move are a little funky in that they really don't "click" like a regular jack when your plug is inserted. After awhile, any slight twisting of the plug (which is quite possible on a right angle plug) makes the plug pop out unexpectedly.

Contact Jan Meier and he will help you out. It ends up that the jacks can't be recessed AT ALL, or this will occur. Take your 2Move apart and try the jacks with the faceplate removed. They're still funky, but they lock properly without the faceplate causing a gap.

He had me try scraping the front of the pcb to shorten that distance, but it didn't work well enough for me. In the end I gave up and sent it back (even with his offer to repair it and return to me).

It's too bad because I liked the rest of the unit otherwise....

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Seems that Jan Meier changed the jacks of the move in his new revision cause my move doesnt have any fit or clamp-force problems, nor I have heard of anything concerning this matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems that Jan Meier changed the jacks of the move in his new revision cause my move doesnt have any fit or clamp-force problems, nor I have heard of anything concerning this matter
smily_headphones1.gif

The original Move was having "grounding issues" with the jacks according to Jan Meier. The jacks on the 2Move are new and different from the old ones (and apparently have their own issues).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back