Mini Meet in Columbia University
Apr 10, 2007 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
Myself, hydrocity, laxx and nankai (of head-direct) got together for a mini meet in the city just to try out each others gear and hang out

Equipment List

I brought
Alien DAC (powered by USB, made by MisterX)
Grado SR-225s w/ bowls and 414 pads
Koss KSC75
Xin Supermacro LE
Cantsleep mini to mini inteconnect (copper silver hybrid)
Toshiba Gigabeat S60 (mp3 player)

laxx brought
AKG K701s
Corda Aria
laptop w/ external HD
Yuin PK-1s
Shure e500s
Grado SR-60s

Hydrocity brought
AKG K501s
Portaphile V2^2 Maxed
Ipod G4 running Rockbox
Little Dot 2+
Gilmore Lite v2 w/ DPS
Yuin PK-1s
Sennheiser HD580 w/ stock cable and cardas cable and some other cable which I forgot
Sonic T-Amp
Koss KSC35s recabled with something I forgot
Sony Discman (I forgot what model it was)

Nankai brought
Yuin PK-1s w/ and w/o custom tips
Yuin PK-2s w/ and w/o custom tips
"Dirty Box" amp
PA-HA-6000MK3SE amp
Mini-Box D
VS-R02 IEMs
his new Signature Amp
Toshiba DVD player
silver mini to mini interconnect

theres probably more that I forgot. If there is feel free to add!

real impressions coming soon!

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 11
ok real impressions time

This meet I finally realized that only Grados are for me. Theres a lot of hype surrounding the AKG k701s and I understand why there is but its just so boring and not involving when it comes to rock and country. Theres A LOT of detail but not much else. I put on my most "fun" tracks, Ratatat's Lex, Wilco's Heavy Metal Drummer, Bright Eyes's Four Winds and it did nothing for me. I just wanted to take them off and put on my Grados. The Senns did a much better job. Much more rock-worthy and fun compared to the AKG. Theres also a step up in detail and bass quantity then the Grados but not as much impact and sparkle as the Grados. I can definitely live with a set of 580s but not with the 701s. Not at all.
(Steve(laxx) will probably post later about how he hates my 225s and loves his k701s so wait for that!)

The AKG k501s were great. Coupled with the Xin supermacro with bass boost, these are THE trance phones. Great soundstage, imaging, bass quality, bass quantity (with the bass boost) and clarity make it perfect for trance. It wasnt that bad with rock either. Much better then the k701s imo. The Grado SR-60s were much worse then I remembered them. The highs were very piercing and annoying. I couldnt listen to them for more then a few minutes before reaching for some other phones.

I tried Steve's (laxx) e500s on the way to the meet on the LIRR and I was surprised how much I liked them from the last time I tried them. They had great clarity, decent bass control, decent highs. Probably the best IEM that I've heard so far. It sounded dangerously close to a closed hd580. Dark and slow-ish sounding compared to the hd580s but the sound signature was very similar.
pict1007fs7.jpg

The PK-1s and PK-2s were still as great as I heard them last. I still wish they went deeper in the bass department but Nankai told me that custom tips will make the bass deeper and completely change the sound signature. The PK-1s coupled with the "Dirty Box" amp was pretty nice. The sound was much deeper and the sound stage opened up a little more. I wish it was a little more detailed but it was a good match with the PK-1s. When I tried the amp with the HD580s, the sound changed to something weird that I didnt like.
pict0988dy0.jpg

Note: This is a prototype. I dont think Nankai expects anyone to buy an amp this ugly, no matter how it sounds!

I finally got to spend time with the Gilmore Lite, an amp that I was seriously considering for my 225s. First off, the Gilmore Lite is like the Grado of amps. Small soundstage, very punchy bass, nice clean highs and good detail. When paired with my 225s, it made them "grado-er." It emphasized their good points and brought out their faults. Sounded great with rock music but not much else. When my 225s were coupled with the Corda Aria, the highs smoothed out a lot, the bass was fuller and detail was much greater then the Gilmore Lite. It made a good match with the k701s. Like the Gilmore, the Corda Aria emphasized the good points of the K701s and brought out its weaknesses.
pict0986jf2.jpg

Both the Gilmore and the Aria was sourced from the Alien DAC with is a new toy of mine. It seemed to do a decent job except it clipped at higher volumes and wasnt close in SQ with a decent discman.

Nankai's signature amp was pretty sweet for the money. I felt that it kept up with the LD2+ pretty well. I didnt spend enough time with it to get a good feel with it but it had really good midrange and it did pretty good with the PK-1s.
pict0997ea7.jpg

My favorite rig surprisingly was the Sony Discman with the Little Dot 2+ with my SR-225s. Its just so much fun and it even makes badly recorded songs sound good! I could have spent the whole day listening to that rig. I'm pretty sure it was the orange peels that did it. hydrocity said it reduces resonance or something but I think its magic. The orange peels have some black magic that magically makes it better.
pict0996wp1.jpg

Also a comparison of the Xin Supermacro and the Portaphile V2^2 is in order. The supermacro had the solid tube op-amp in L/R and AD8397 in 3/4th. They were complete opposites. The supermacro was warm as heck with decent good soundstage and the Portaphile was cold and sterile. Lots of bass impact, clean highs, small sound stage. Bottom line, the Xin kicked butt.

Me and hydrocity tried to blow up Columbia with what we called the Tower of DOOM.
pict1008fq3.jpg

Turn anything on and a nuclear explosion occurs.

Also, I tried the the Vsonic VS-R02s which I'll be writing a full comparison review on at the headphone forum.

I hope I covered everything.

EDIT: I'll post more random pics soon. Also, sorry for my crappy english, its way too late for me to write anything!

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 11
So the 225 and 701 get their chance to redeem themselves. But fail once again, especially since I was tired and wasn't in the mood for tinny sounding things. Even my mutated 501s lay unused for most of the meet.

I focused on using my 580s across all the amps there so...

The first thing i heard actually for the day was e500 with a foam out of portaphile and teh xin later. They fit surprisingly well- feeling light and almost falling out like etys though much softer and comfy. The sound was alright- not too bad in the bass area. The low end was actually borderline textural, but still a bit soft. The overall impression was balance leaving really nothing to left to desire. Expensive though. The comfort alone may be worth it as I don't see them falling off or being irritating for long term usage- plus the highs are kind of lazy so there is really nothing to get tired of. Some may not like this laid back feeling though- i sure did especially during my.. "off" days.

The xin looked like something out of a super star destroyer. I would buy it if they didn't silk screen anything on it- just for the little cute switches and evil look. With that said, I really won't judge it because we all know how much opamp choices impact the sound. Noise level was almost nonexistant, bass boost worked suprisingly well (maybe not for the shures tho) , crossfeed was allright. Gain and impedence switches are smart though for a portable... I doubt I would have time to do technical stuff like think about headphone stats while i'm out...

This was my third time trying out the minibox- but this time there was channel imbalance so I really couldn't listen to it for more than a minute before I started biching to myself. Maybe Ill get to listen to a newly functional one someday...

There were two new amps- one is the ugly plastic box thing and the other one which is in a real case. Also- the big black amp looks like the phil amp but this one is like an upgraded or maxed version

The new amp in the case that says O1 earphone sounds warmer than my LDII+. Either roll off on the highs or something else, but it made the right tradeoffs because not much detail was lost. Powerful enough to be almost satisfactory with the 501s, and very much adequate with the 580s. Sounds like a giant go-vibe5. Maybe even a basic pimeta with the burr browns. Recommended for people starting out and who need an desktop amp because it fills a niche in the amp market- sounds decent and inexpensive to boot.

The ugly thing. It is supposed to be a complement amp to the pk1's. The aim was to introduce depth into the wide soundstage. When I used it with the buds, I felt like there was just something added, the depth no doubt resulted from slight coloration. The thing was, it kind of robs from the midrange just a tiny bit and the highs sound compressed. Was not my cup of tea, but it does do as advertised and add depth (not enough to distract too much but it's there). Headroom was very sufficient and did not at all feel like it would limit the pk1's.

The reference? phil heavy thing compared to the O1 was obviously a no brainer. Sounds transparent and leans towards neutral. Not overly bright but didnt not hinder detail like most of the other amps did.

Gilmore lite. Well didnt like it at home so i sure as hel didnt like it during the meet with my mood that day
rolleyes.gif
. One word would be compressed. Oh don't get me wrong- it is as prefect as could be at the price with the dps, but I guess i just expected too much having listened only to its big brothers before buying.

The aria (out of what a alien dac? i didnt notice) listened for like 1 minute but was hungry. After eating I forgot about it. Next time mister aria next time!

Grados sounded better this time but i still don't regret selling em. K701 sounded equally annoying.

I guess i was just being a bitch that day..(nothing to do with headfi just personal stuff..)

read: don't go to meets when tired and/or exasperated.

and now to lighten up the mood:
kirbydance.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read: don't go to meets when tired and/or exasperated.

and now to lighten up the mood:
kirbydance.gif

or hungry, you ate my bagel like there was no tomorrow

laxx said he'll post sometime during work.

Question for ya: what was the model number of your discman?

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Alright. I've procrastinated enough. =T

It was a very long day. Who decides to have a meet at 10AM? I had to walk up at 8... earlier than I do for work during the week. =[

So I woke up that morning and realized I forgot to charge my Meizu M6 dap, so I plugged it into the charger. As I was getting ready as fast as I could so that I wouldn't miss the LIRR, I forgot my dap. I was rather sad to not be able to try the Xin Supermacro. I think it would have been pretty fun.

I actually didn't listen too much that day. It was much more fun just talking about our hobby than it was to listen to the gear that we had. But ultimately, I still had a few impressions.

Gilmore Lite + DPS. It's just not what I'm looking for in an amp. It sat on top of my Corda Aria, fed with an Alien DAC with the Aria connected to the loop out of the GLite. I first tried it with the HD580's. Wow, HD580's are so different than the K701's. Listening to some Diana Krall , the HD580's with GLite sounded like Diana decided to walk to the back of the stage while all of the instruments decided to move to the front. It was very strange sounding. Much less intimate than the K701's where I feel are very balanced, instruments are in the right place and Diana's just slightly closer to me than the band. Perfect imaging? I think so. =T The GLite sounded a bit congested. I'm not good with instrument names, but drum cymbals (at least that's what I think it's called) sound like one flat sound, instead of hearing 10 taps, it sounded like one long tap. There was just a lack of overall detail. So I had to try it with my K701's. Good imaging, better texture, but still the same one note cymbals. I'm not a big fan of Jazz, but there's just something magical about Diana's somewhat raspy voice. With the HD580's, her voice is very smooth, but I'm not looking to hear her voice smoothed out, I like that subtle raspiness when she's singing her heart out. =T Ultimately, I felt the Aria just did everything better than the GLite, but that's just for my taste.

Ok, I'll post more impressions later, there's just too much work to do.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 11
So who actually is at Columbia? I'm only a few train stops away. (96) *shakes fists*

What an interesting meet. Nearly everybody didn't like many things.
very_evil_smiley.gif
My kind of meet.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So who actually is at Columbia? I'm only a few train stops away. (96) *shakes fists*

very_evil_smiley.gif
My kind of meet.
evil_smiley.gif

I think everyone walked home realizing they only liked what they brought, lol. Though that's not entirely true, I thoroughly enjoyed the Phil Audio amp alot, though it's huge and ridiculously hot (hot to the point the volume knob kinda burns when you turn it).

Also, none of us attend Columbia, lol. Fang had friend who works(?) there and he got us a room. It was either there or at my house in Queens, but I'm the only one with a car, lol.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or hungry, you ate my bagel like there was no tomorrow

laxx said he'll post sometime during work.

Question for ya: what was the model number of your discman?

thx for the bagle! its a DEJ-855

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif
My kind of meet.
evil_smiley.gif

I really should have started a meet thread beforehand. Since it would have taken place at peoples homes or small places I thought the masses a thread would attract would be bad. Guess I was wrong.. I didn't realize like half the people would not show up.

Yea Ill make sure every time i got to a meet that i be cold hungry and tired. My wallet sure appreciates it.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea Ill make sure every time i got to a meet that i be cold hungry and tired. My wallet sure appreciates it.

Well at least you'll have $ to eat reaaal well
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif
My kind of meet.
evil_smiley.gif

That was mostly true for me. I basically only REALLY liked my grado 225s and hd580s (which I have at home). The k501s were great with my supermacro with solidtube opamp and the PK-1/2s were awesome as usual.

I think my next purchase is gonna be either PK-1/s when Fang gets the cheap ear impression kits out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back