Mini-iPods
Dec 23, 2003 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Dec 24, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 111
good news as long as the new players are cheap. should push down the price of Muvo2, Nitrus, etc even more. Not much reason to buy the flash memory based players anymore...

Dec 24, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 111
why is there no market for flash players anymore??

the mini ipods will still have hard drives ... mini by "capacity" standards .. not by "actual size" ...

flash players have the size advantage and always will. not to mention they don't have moving parts so things like battery life are much better. storage is more expensive for less space yes .. but you get a player that you can put in a paint shaker and it wont skip. can't say that for the ipods or other hard drive based players. there's going to be a market for flash players for a long time to come.

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by digitalemperor flash players have the size advantage and always will.

Looks possibly they may use the new thin .8" wide Toshiba drives. It's hard to get 4 GB (or anything close) of flash memory in smaller space than that at this point. We're on the verge of a 4 GB player being the same size or smaller than most 64 MB flash based ones. Shock and other considerations are still valid, but not sure about the size advantage. Will be interesting if we get to a point when a flash based player (say 128 MB) can hold a decently compressed album and be embedded in everyday items (pen, watch, etc.) and only add a few dollars to the price. Except for the price we're sorta there already, but will be interesting to see what the future brings. Maybe we'll all being carrying around "hearing aids" to listen to our wireless streaming tracks from the home computer and memory won't even be the issue.

Dec 24, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 111
Sounds promising!
Not sure if I'll bite on the non-removable media yet..... hard button to button if you ask me. I had a hard enough time getting used to >one Album discs.

Very exciting too see what these will look like. Maybe a nice rounded disc, like a UFO
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 111
Just saw this at iPodlounge. I think it's awesome. If the price is right, I may get a new 4 gigger to replace my original 5 gig. Or maybe I'll just get a new one as a beater.

Now I know that the new 1.5gb Rio player is very small, but compare:
$300 for 1.5gb
~$100 for 2gb
Not hard for me to decide, espeically since the iPod syncs with iTunes. And personally, I think the iPod is the perfect size to use as compared to the super-small Rio.

Dec 26, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 111
evil_smiley.gif

I can't resist......................
I sure hope Apple includes support for WIN98SE and compatibility with USB 1.1.

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
L Maybe we'll all being carrying around "hearing aids" to listen to our wireless streaming tracks from the home computer and memory won't even be the issue.

Battery battery battery.

By the time we advance battery technology (which we haven't much in the last 30-40 years, we've just made more efficient devices) to power a device to produce music with decent fidelity -and- run off bluetooth (or its replacement, won't be long), we'll have auditory nerve implants anyway. Wireless technology is moving relatively quick (though sucks power like crazy) but batteries are advancing at a crawl.

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by davidtoc
yeah, about that win98 thing...i wouldn't hold your breath somehow.
etysmile.gif

dave

LOL. I won't! Just a hope and dream. They make one that does this, though, I will buy,,,,,if it is as cheap as some are reporting. Good for gifts for my bros, who have XP and USB2.0 and firewire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back