Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Aug 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #632 of 1,063

Quote:
Yep, that's it.

I have been testing it on for two hours, it doesn't really get hot IMO, I would say warm, about the same temperature as my COMPAQ laptop. BTW, it's hot in Seattle with no AC at home, so I think folks that live in an AC environment probably don't have to worry too much.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #636 of 1,063

Quote:
Are you using the 12v adapter it came with? I see the AMS1117 there is 5v, same as mine.

Yes. One thing I notice is that the PCB doesn't feel like plastic, I am not sure what material is used, but that could be why the heat is spread more evenly.

P.S. What setting do you guys use in Windows? I set 96khz 24bit, is that optimal? 

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #637 of 1,063

Quote:
 I prefer the Metrum overall (without considering the price difference)

Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I actually first learned about Metrum from your comments in this thread a few months back... then the 6 moons review, and noticed that the Octave has been sneaking into reviews against other gear, and winning.  Against something like 5-6 DACs now, couple costing about 4-5x the price (TotalDAC and a higher end Zodiac).

Decided to pull the trigger today on an Octave.  Total shipped to the US, Paypal fees + conversion, is about $1060.  That's for silver w/ 14v psu, same as the 6 moons review.  8-10 week backlog, yikes.  Oh well, have been running an Ack! Dack! 2.0 w/ high resolution caps for about 6-7 years now, tried other DACs and they just don't grab me.  The main issue I have is there can be significant digital tearing on lesser recordings, something I understand is typical on simple TDA family DACs but not on NOS in general.  Also the fact that the Ack! fell out of favor years ago, considered to be trumped by even much less costly options like Scott Nixon's offerings.  Thinking this will be the one for me for the next several years...

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #638 of 1,063

horrible workmanship lol.  it smells burnt and i havent even plugged it in yet.  welp looks like im out at least 15$ shipping this POS back to its seller.  workmanship is one thing, but if i smell a electrical burnt smell, theres no way i should attempt to use it right?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #639 of 1,063

Quote:

horrible workmanship lol.  it smells burnt and i havent even plugged it in yet.  welp looks like im out at least 15$ shipping this POS back to its seller.  workmanship is one thing, but if i smell a electrical burnt smell, theres no way i should attempt to use it right?

Aren't you even gonna try? What's the worst thing that could happen? Just use it with a fire extinguisher aside.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #640 of 1,063
After 24/7 for  two days, the unit's temperature is less than warm, I could barely feel any heat from the surface. You guys got me worry, I was thinking about buying different charger and heatsinks and other stuff, turns out I don't need any of them. However, it doesn't sound like anything I imagined. Thinking of buying the PCM1793 version now.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #641 of 1,063
Since you have the WHITE PCB version which is saying 15-18 V input, and running it from a 12V PSU it's a totally different story. You are actually using Voltage lower than specified - no wonder it stays cool :))

Quote:
After 24/7 for  two days, the unit's temperature is less than warm, I could barely feel any heat from the surface. You guys got me worry, I was thinking about buying different charger and heatsinks and other stuff, turns out I don't need any of them. However, it doesn't sound like anything I imagined. Thinking of buying the PCM1793 version now.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #642 of 1,063
And I'm still running mine on 9v. Maybe it's not a good idea to be using such a drop in voltage (?) but it seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since you have the WHITE PCB version which is saying 15-18 V input, and running it from a 12V PSU it's a totally different story. You are actually using Voltage lower than specified - no wonder it stays cool :))

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #644 of 1,063
I briefly tried the PSU it came with but didn't like the buzzing noise coming out of it. When I cranked up the PSU I have been using to 12v I noticed the unit got warm fairly quick. So I guess I'll stick with 9v.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #645 of 1,063

Quote:
Well - I feel the pressure. I'll get into it. (...in august.....)

When I a/b-ed them initially, they felt quite similar, and I planned to do this very thourugh blind a-b session with a pal and we never got to it, yet. And I'm perfectly happy with both - having them in two different rigs. 

With another user buying the octave I have to ask, any word on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back