['Mini-Con'!] Arizona Head-Fi Meet: February 10th, 2018 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 33
Sounds like y'all had a good meet and time! Greg, I'm going to go ahead and put the September meet down in my plans - unless something major happens I definitely intend to make that meet.
That would be so very cool.
I hope everything falls into place man as I’ll finally have an opportunity to meet and hang out with you. Stay in touch!

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 33
I only had a chance to stay a short time, but may have the long distance award (minnesota).
Great to meet a few of you..Coolzo, nice to put a face with the handle. Great time with the Stax
And getting to know Justin from AmpsandSound. Jumping on the Leeloo train.
Great meet!
Hibuckhobby

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 33
Awesome meet everyone! Big thanks to our organizers @Coolzo @Destroysall and @koover, I know a lot of effort went into this and it is much appreciated! Also thank you to @Jason Stoddard and the Schiit team for sponsoring our event and sending the awesome Schiit Kit along!

Also a big thank you to Peter @HeadAmpTeam, Chris @Audeze, and Justin @ampsandsound for taking the time and effort to travel to Phoenix to take part and provide some of their gear to sample!

And a big thanks to everyone else that managed to visit. We had a lot of fun and these things feel really empty if no one schleps their gear to the meet. It takes all of us to make these as fun as they have been.

I tried to do a better job of taking some photos for this thread than last time. I took them early in the day so apologies to anyone that arrived or setup a little later and I didn't capture (or forgot >_< ). Also apologies for my *very* poor photography skills :p

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

13.jpg14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg

19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 33
These are not all the photos, I wasn't able to get through editing all of them, but I hope to upload some more by this weekend. This meet was brilliant! I got to hear all kinds of new setups. My highlights were Audeze's LCD-2C,.the Spirit Labs, and the plethora of ampandsound's product lineup! Thank you everyone who came down to our humble meet and I hope to see you in Fall!

IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0230.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 33
These are not all the photos, I wasn't able to get through editing all of them, but I hope to upload some more by this weekend. This meet was brilliant! I got to hear all kinds of new setups. My highlights were Audeze's LCD-2C,.the Spirit Labs, and the plethora of ampandsound's product lineup! Thank you everyone who came down to our humble meet and I hope to see you in Fall!

Good thing my ridiculous hipster haircut was looking good that day. Got a pretty good pic of the back of my dome lol.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 33
Looks like I missed this one. Wish I made it. Ray LaMontagne's Trouble album needs a better pair of cans to go through. Darn-tootin'. Won't be able to make the next one, or anymore for awhile. Have fun guys!

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 33
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 33
This was my first meet, and I was blown away over how awesome it was. Got to try out some much gear. Big thanks to everyone involved in setting up the meet :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 33
I forgot to post my impressions. These are my raw notes from the meet. Add two grains of salt.

Apex pinnacle
Very full sound. Able to reach deep and very full

Code-sex
BW2 not enough juice
Compared to pmx2- pmx2 seems to have a little fuller mids
Maybe a but soft or light on the bass
Similar results on a milo

He-560
Very nice
Not all the comfortable. Pads were compressed, which might explain
Good stage
Very details. Bass could a little tighter
Extremely good for $350-$400
Maybe a little sibilant

Eddie current mass drop ZDT jr
Quite similar to the BW2
Does not extend as low as the BW2, maybe. Still very good

LCD-4 200ohm
Very tight bass and good detail and instrument separation.
Utopia is more dynamic
LCD-4 is very laid back compared to the utopia.
LCD-x is more neutral. Good bass extension. Still missing a sparkle

LCD-2c
Good bass. Pleasant to listen to. Comfortable. Audeze’s house sound. Laid back, but good. Maybe an HD650 upgrade.

RME dac
Skippy really likes it
Small

Aficionado
Very clean. Good bass slam. Clear. Also using a yggy dac

Mainline
Very retro
Sounds good. Not as much slam as the black widow

Amps and sound mogwai
Special tubes (80/pair)
6889 to kt88 adapter
1850 stock tubes
25% off this one
Very very impactful with stank
Great stage
Mogwai special edition (from grizzly beast)
Sounds great. As impactful
Only using iPad as source.
Excellent tonal balance

Susvara
Headamp gs-x mk2
Very clean sounding, but dry
More like electrostatic sound, better bass than electrostatic, but smoother, less dynamic punch, than the utopia

Sundara
Comfortable
More bass than susvara
Less critical than the susvara, more fun
Would recommend.

----

after hearing the Mainline, I ordered one! It was on sale :)
I'm still finishing my Crack, but the mainline should be a fun upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back