Mini Comparsion - Shure E500 vs. ER-4S
Mar 14, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

For a same or a smaller price you might also buy a very good amp that will give you back the meat on the ety's while it'll let you keep a precision and a cohesiveness that the shure don't have...

An amp will certainly improve the Etys, but there are none that will give them the same bass presence/impact as the E500. That is asking just a bit too much...

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amp will certainly improve the Etys, but there are none that will give them the same bass presence/impact as the E500. That is asking just a bit too much...

I agree. Actually, in my experience, amps haven't helped the Etys that much. I have always needed EQ to make a really noticeable change.

And it's the other way around with the E500; an amp can make a big difference and provide the detail and treble extension that was missing.

I guess the Etys have a very specific sound signature you can't do much about, while the E500 just need to be driven properly.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #48 of 53
IMO you still have a phase issue with e500. You can't avoid phase distortion with passive cross used for the multi driver. And for me this problem is really audible with headphones. Probably because you have a much better perception of the phase with headphones than with speakers.
While with ety (4s), an amp and a small bass boost the sound is very consistent and goes quite low.

Sorry to insist but someone has to say it. You are losing one of the great benefit of the headphones, the phase consistency thanks to a mono driver (which is only really "doable" with headphones)… Multi driver for headphones is just a marketing trick that let you believe that three drivers are three times better for three times the price. So, if you are looking for quality, you will end up paying for it (what I did actually) without knowing you are losing something…

Cheers

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #50 of 53
After owning the ER4Ps I decided to try the E500s to find out if they would provide a better low end (bass) foundation to compliment the outstanding mids and highs of the Etys. Interestingly, if the E500s are not inserted too far into the ear canal they do provide a nice top to bottom balanced sound. However, if they are inserted to provide the best external noise isolation, IMO the bass overwhelms the mids and treble to the point where the detail is lost compared to the Etys. I sent my E500s back (30 day trial--thanks headroom) since for close to 1/3 the price on Amazon the Etys were more than worth it. An important feature of the Etys is to use the correct tips (for me the Westone Comply worked the best) to get the best seal possible. you will be amazed on how much better the bass is...
NOW, on a side note, a recently bought a pair of Ultrasone proline 750s (see the Ultrasone thread..). after the requisite 200 hours of burn in these cans totally blow away both IEMs. I am glad to own both the Etys and Ultrasones (depending on application), but to me the Ultrasones are the king of overall tonal balance...

equipment:
Ultrasone proline 750s, Ety ER4p
RSA Hornet amp
ALO jumbo cryo mini to mini
RWA iMod

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cannot make a blanket, categorical statement that any multi-driver headphone will exhibit audible phase problems. Some may, and others may not.

Actually mainly all multi driver system will cause phase problems. It's inherent to cross filters and driver placement that create phase distortion. It's not a problem particularly linked to headphones but it seems to me that it is more obvious with headphones.
Cheers

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #52 of 53
I have to add.

I wish I have the money to buy E500, I know it's a good IEM.

Being a hardcore full time ER-4 user/admirer I can declare that ER-4S has succeeded in my spending spree/agony for the perfect headphone. Before ER-4 it was a sinking wallet with holes for me.

ER-4 is NOT the easiest of IEM to start with. comfort was an issue, so does the fatiguing treble sparkle. But with patience and time, I have found the sweet spot with the stock foamies which I can wear the whole day now comfortably. And the foamies are sonically full sounding. But most importantly is the shift from ER-4P to ER-4S which helps a lot to refine the sound and tame the Treble sparke - so no more pericing highs. Plus that ever so sweet deeply extended bass that I have never heard before from my previous cans. Not even MS-1 (my old fav) can match ER-4S bass depth.

So if you want to tread the Ety path, go all the way with ER-4S and invest time to experiment with the tips. Once you found the right combo, rest assured you will have your Audio Bliss wherever you go

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #53 of 53
i sold my er4s simply because they did not sound very good (to me) out of my ipod. They sound fantastic with my total bithead, but there was something missing without the amp.

my sure e500 sound fan-fing-tastic out of my ipod. I have recently realized the soundstage of the headphones open up significantly, I am 90% sure that it is the cable. i have an alo headphone cable that i started using with them and it only has about 10 hours on it, while my stock shure cable has closer to 150-200. the sure cable sounds terrific, the sound stage is huge and the highs seemed to come out of no where. I didn't believe in burn in until yesterday when i was walking down the street and relized what had happeend.

that said, i can't wait till my alo cable is burned in =)

and all of this out of my ipod. . without my bithead amp. . I am a happy man

thats my two cents

-mk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back