Mini Blog: DAC1 vs Grace Design M902
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
Headphones used using direct amplification:
HD-650
ER4-S
RS-1

K-1000 is also power amped by a Pass Aleph 3.

Music:
Dido, Groove Armada, Pumpkins, Jewel Kilcher, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation
... LOSSLESS of course.

Firstly, I would like to thank Dimitri (dvse) for selling me this awesome DAC in mint condition.
k1000smile.gif

This is actually pretty cool. I can do a direct comparison of DACS between the two as the M902 accepts analog inputs. Though there would always be some coloration through interconnects.
Anyway - though I haven't had much time yet to really explore the DAC1, I can already see some distinct differences between the listening experience.
Firstly, I'm a big fan of a little crossfeed when listening to headphones. It's an extremely subtle effect but I find it actually makes the music seem more intimate and "in your head".
Also - discovered pretty quickly that the treble out of the RS1 when amped by the DAC1 is quite harsh and there is a lot of sibilance. Though it's extremely high fidelity, it sounds a little cold. Would love to try a tube buffer with this setup to see if it warms the sound a little. Another annoying thing is that because the Grado series is so sensitive, the DAC1 potentiometer is not very suitable for it. It is a stepped attenuator, but for an RS-1, quite large steps. The M902 has at least 20 times more volume control than the DAC1. In other words, for every increment on the DAC1, there can be 20 increments on the M902.
DAC1 is a marvelous amp for the HD-650. Totally brings the music to life. I remember Zanth giving a good description about the RS-1 sounding like you are on stage with the musicians, the HD-650 right at the back of the hall and the GS-1 somewhere in between. Well - when I chuck on the 650's powered by the DAC 1, it moves you forward and you sound a lot closer. This is especially true when listening to Vanessa Mae's violin. With my old setup, the K-1000's sound as if I was right next to her while the 650's sounded as if I was appreciating the music at the back of the room (hearing all the other instruments on top of her violin). No experience is better than the other, as the track was designed and engineered that way with the other instrumentals, but sometimes you just want to concentrate on her awesome violin which is what the K-1000 does.
... and sometimes you want a balance which is where the DAC 1 comes in.
cool.gif

Both would serve as excellent DACs for a K-1000 setup. Didn't really find much difference between them when driving the K-1000's. Though I believe that in my setup, the K-1000's unique traits would come more from the Aleph than my DAC/preamps. The DAC1 probably has a little stronger bass, but nothing worth noting.

The biggest differences between the two would certainly be their features and ease of use. Probably easier just listing the differences.

Grace M902 pros over the DAC1 in order of importance:
1. USB input - a definite must for laptop users and makes the M902 more portable in the sense that you can take it to friends' houses, work etc...
I mean, who has access to a coaxial output at their workplace, really?
2. Analog inputs - allows the M902 to solely act as a headphone amp only.
Very cool for your turntables. Allows the M902 to act as a mini audio hub.
3. Crossfeed - it's a feature I like. Each to their own on this one.
4. Highly accurate and versatile stepped attenuator. As I mentioned before, twenty times more control than the DAC1
5. Looks - so much nicer than the DAC1
6. LED's to allow the user to see what rate the music is sampling at.

DAC1 pros over the M902:
1. Balanced outputs - excellent for anyone with a balanced system at home. Really wish the M902 had this.
2. $700 in your wallet.

One more thing...

Both are highly susceptible to power fluctuations and spikes within your home which sucks balls for such high end equipment. The DAC1 far more than the M902 though. Everytime the compressor of my fridge starts and stops, I get a jump and a static spike on these DAC's. It loses it's jitter lock for a second and then resumes. Also happens when girlfriend turns on washing machine or air conditioner. Try to have them plugged in on a separate grid to the rest of your appliances or even better, a dedicated sine wave power plant.

Hope this would make choosing one or the other easier for newies.

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey, thanks for the review. Very informative. These are two components that I've been looking at the for a very long time, especially the M902. Do you know how well it syncs with the GS-1000? HD650?

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 9
KrooLism;3265223 said:
One more thing...

Both are highly susceptible to power fluctuations and spikes within your home which sucks balls for such high end equipment. The DAC1 far more than the M902 though. Everytime the compressor of my fridge starts and stops, I get a jump and a static spike on these DAC's. It loses it's jitter lock for a second and then resumes. Also happens when girlfriend turns on washing machine or air conditioner. Try to have them plugged in on a separate grid to the rest of your appliances or even better, a dedicated sine wave power plant.
Sounds like your wiring is faulty rather than the electronics. Is your AC outlet really on the same circuit as your appliances? That is not good at all. Each appliance should be on its own circuit let alone combined with your electronics. I am not a professional but I believe spikes like you mention can damage your equipment.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I suppose a more fair comparo would be DAC1 USB vs. M902?

Thanks for the write up! I'm going to grab a DAC1 USB to pair with my PS-1's and Lisa III. It seems that the M902 is classified more as an amp and less as a DAC/source where the DAC1 falls more in the DAC first and amp second arena. I would be interested in comparing the DAC only on each with the same headphones and same separate amp to see what the differences are. I believe there is a switch on the back of the DAC1 to bypass the hp amp if you are running balanced or rca out.

If the DAC1 does not mate well with my PS-1's the Lavry and Grace would be next on the list. Lavry for SQ but the lack of USB and RCA outs is a major turn off for me due to the need to by more crap to make it functional for my uses.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for the review. Very informative. These are two components that I've been looking at the for a very long time, especially the M902. Do you know how well it syncs with the GS-1000? HD650?

Haven't tried with the GS-1000's yet, but judging by the 902's sonic traits, and based on what other people have said about the GS-1, I think it would be a good match indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like your wiring is faulty rather than the electronics. Is your AC outlet really on the same circuit as your appliances? That is not good at all. Each appliance should be on its own circuit let alone combined with your electronics. I am not a professional but I believe spikes like you mention can damage your equipment.

I don't have a choice. I live in an old crappy house with only two outlets in the basement which is where my DAC 1 is at the moment. I have the DAC 1 and my computer on one outlet and the bar fridge on the otherside of the room on the other. It still happens. It even spikes when the washing machine turns on and off. To be honest, I think I really need an electrician to have a look at the house because I agree with you... it can't be good for any of my electronics.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another annoying thing is that because the Grado series is so sensitive, the DAC1 potentiometer is not very suitable for it. It is a stepped attenuator, but for an RS-1, quite large steps. The M902 has at least 20 times more volume control than the DAC1. In other words, for every increment on the DAC1, there can be 20 increments on the M902.

The DAC-1 has several attenuation pads inside, ranging from 0 to 30dB. Nowadays -20dB is the default. If you set it at -30dB, you get more usable range for the volume knob. This does not affect sound quality according to Benchmark tech dept.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC-1 has several attenuation pads inside, ranging from 0 to 30dB. Nowadays -20dB is the default. If you set it at -30dB, you get more usable range for the volume knob. This does not affect sound quality according to Benchmark tech dept.

i think this option only affects the line outputs, and doesnt lower the gain of the headphone amp, i may be wrong. however the DAC1 USB does have the option of lowering the gain on the headphone amp through dedicated internal jumper that has no effect on the line outs, the reguar DAC1 doesnt have that gain jumper.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think this option only affects the line outputs, and doesnt lower the gain of the headphone amp, i may be wrong.

You are correct, the attenuation pads in regular DAC1 only affect the balanced (XLR) outputs, I just checked this from the manual.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 9
I would like to see dac1 as dac and m902 as headphone amp's impression once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back