mini^3 or pimeta?
Oct 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
Which is better based on sound quality?

A mini^3 or a portable/semi-portable pimeta?

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't tried the Mini3, but I did have a Mini^3-fied PINT and I would say that I liked my portable Pimeta more. I had it running AD8066/AD8610 buffered by a single BUF634 on each channel and I enjoyed the sound quality more. Now I have it running OPA637/OPA627 and think it's pretty nice as well
smily_headphones1.gif
Mind you that the Pimeta is somewhat larger and I run off 2x 9V batteries.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the Mini3, but I did have a Mini^3-fied PINT and I would say that I liked my portable Pimeta more.

The Mini³fied PINT is very similar to the old, never-released Mini³ v1. The current Mini³ v2 is different. Just thought I'd point that out.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 9
If this is your first build I would suggest the Pimeta.
(socketed op-amps and plenty of board space make it a very easy amp to debug)
Problem is the BUF634's have become very hard to find.
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is your first build I would suggest the Pimeta.
(socketed op-amps and plenty of board space make it a very easy amp to debug)
Problem is the BUF634's have become very hard to find.
frown.gif

Nah, I've already built a cmoy before.

So are you saying that the mini^3 is better (SQ-wise)?

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

So are you saying that the mini^3 is better (SQ-wise)?

Nope.
I have one of each in front of me and I dunno that I could pick one over the other if the decision was based on sound quality alone.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Also realize that they are just very different. Mini^3 is small while Pimeta is large. Mini^3 runs on 9V while Pimeta runs 9-24V. Mini^3 does not allow opamp rolling while Pimeta does. Mini^3 has a built in regulator and charger while a Pimeta does not. Pimeta can be built high-end while Mini^3 is what it is. Etc, etc, etc.

I think a Pimeta CAN sound better than a Mini^3, but not all Pimetas do sound better than a Mini^3.

I would say my 24V OPA627 Pimeta was better than my Mini^3. But my 9V AD8620 Pimeta was not better than my Mini^3.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also realize that they are just very different. Mini^3 is small while Pimeta is large. Mini^3 runs on 9V while Pimeta runs 9-24V. Mini^3 does not allow opamp rolling while Pimeta does. Mini^3 has a built in regulator and charger while a Pimeta does not. Pimeta can be built high-end while Mini^3 is what it is. Etc, etc, etc.

I think a Pimeta CAN sound better than a Mini^3, but not all Pimetas do sound better than a Mini^3.

I would say my 24V OPA627 Pimeta was better than my Mini^3. But my 9V AD8620 Pimeta was not better than my Mini^3.

Yes of course, it's almost all about what opamps you use.

You could use any opamps with enough current in Mini3, I think. Why not do some opamp rolling
wink.gif
. I have a modded Xenos with AD8066 as L/R and LMH6642 as ground, but it's more or less a Mini3 in a Xenos box. I prefer the sound of AD8066 to AD8397, at least when used with HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back