Mingo WM-2 Wooden Earphones: Review and Impressions thread
Aug 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 73
My Shure SCL2 recently died on me and today I tried the SE110 and didn't like it much - bass too bloated.

Maybe I should give Mingo's WM-2 a shot as price is decent ... are they comfy?

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #32 of 73
Went to Mingo's shop today and tried both versions of the WM-2, liked the darker one more (i.e. the more bass heavy version), though I did find the bass abit overwhelming but of ok quality.

Also tried Senn CX400 and thought it had nicer highs compared to WM-2, but price range is different so probably not a fair comparison.

I am seriously thinking of getting a pair of WM-2 now ...

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 73
While the CX400 has a goodly amount of bass and less quantity, its control is worse from the housing. but then, i am really really up on the housing thing - reason which made me get rid of my atrio and denon and the reason the ie8 was a poor option for me. cheers

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 73
OK, so I have had the Mingo's for a few days (both silver and gold). First thing, I had a hard time finding the right tips/insertion that worked. I tried the large stock tips, Sony hybrids, regular silicon tips, foam under silicon, and now dual flange.

I started listening to the gold, but prefer the presentation of the silver wich is closer to my IE8, C710, and NE-7M. Not that the gold is bad, but it is a preference.

Initially I wasn't getting the overwhelming bass shigzeo was talking about, but I did find it with the Sony tips when inserted very deep. These have super smooth mids regardless of the insertion depth, but the bass is greatly affected. I thought the Sony's were going to do it for me, but I was having difficulty finding the sweet spot with those tips, took a lot of work with each insertion. I am sure it would improve with time, but for now I am using dual flange tips which are more comfortable for me and much easier to get in the right position. There is a good deal of bass depending upon my source with the dual flange.

And the cables are microphonic, even just sitting at my desk, so I am wearing them with the cables up, behind my ears. This also helps with the angle in my ear; I am not sure if it is just my ears, but I experienced the same thing with the ADDIEM, over the ear is much better for me from an insertion angle perspective.

OK, how bassy are these? Depends on my source (and tips/insertion depth). With my AMP3 I find the bass is just right, not too strong, but strong enough, tight, deep, just what I want! With my sound card, these are pretty bassy on bassy songs and the overall presentation is thick in the mid-bass! From my SC trance sound OK, but everything else sounds kinda thick.

From the HP out of my Fuze these are somewhere between the SC and AMP3. More bass than the AMP3, but the bass sounds exaggerated and a little bloated (the player, as it sounds similar with my other IEMs). My SC is warmer and has much tighter bass, but is also more laid back and drier in the top end (the gold might be a better fit). With the Fuze it does sound thicker than the AMP3, which takes away from my enjoyment of the IEM with the Fuze comparatively, but it isn't bad at all. I do think they sound very good with trance from the Fuze, save the slight bass distortion. If you are a true basshead, pairing these with the Fuze would be a treat! With the AMP3 these things sound fantastic with all genres!

I can see the issues with the cable construction, there are metal bands (gold or silver) at the plug and y-split which slide around and may become problematic. I plan on gluing these sometime in the near future to alleviate those issues.

More when I get more time to do some dedicated listening.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #35 of 73
thanks for the new thoughts. it is funny how you are not getting the extreme bass. i honestly have never heard so much bass in my life from a pair and i have experienced the ie8, victor fx500, atrio m5 and a host of other 'bassy' phones! cheers

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #36 of 73
No problem, thank you
wink.gif
I have figured out how to get extreme bass: shove them deep into my canals with the back of the IEM facing down as far as I can get it! Must be the shape/size of my canals and the source. My initial listening was all done with the AMP3 and not inserted all that deep.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 73
I exchanged emails with Thomas Law (thomas@tms-trading.com), but ended up getting a deal I could not pass up, used!

Here is an excerpt from an email from Thomas:
Quote:

Let me introduce myself & TMS TRADING Co. We are the Authorized Distributor of Mingo WM-2. We do handling ordering from Oversea & Local(HK).
We do ship to USA, however, Please advised which states of USA for us to calculate shipping fee.

Link below is the shipping fee reference.
Hongkong Post - Postage Rate

Overseas Order :
Retails Price : 81USD(USA/Canada/Australia/Japan/Others)
All areas include one-year warranty.
All overseas prices exclude Shipping fee.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #40 of 73
Does Mingo is the brand name or Company name? It seems you score highly to the phone. Plus the YUIN PK1, OK1, and Hiosoundaudio's PAA-1 ,It seems Chinese earphone strength are growing. Maybe someday, They will surprise us with UE11 alike, IE8 alike, Or HD800 alike phones with the $80. Who know? Hope the day coming soon.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 73
I've been using these for a little while now, so some notes:

1) The build quality is horrible. The cable is microphonic as hell, and the whole earpiece just feels dissappointingly cheap after seeing the product pictures.

2) The bass is very dominant on these phones. Whilst the highs and mids are reasonably musical, I was very shocked to find just how deep the bass goes on these.

3) Soundstage wasn't too bad. There was a certain airiness in the sound, but its no IE8 killer.

4) I found that these didn't work well for Jazz at all. What it did work well was for rock and other similar types of music.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using these for a little while now, so some notes:

1) The build quality is horrible. The cable is microphonic as hell, and the whole earpiece just feels dissappointingly cheap after seeing the product pictures.

2) The bass is very dominant on these phones. Whilst the highs and mids are reasonably musical, I was very shocked to find just how deep the bass goes on these.

3) Soundstage wasn't too bad. There was a certain airiness in the sound, but its no IE8 killer.

4) I found that these didn't work well for Jazz at all. What it did work well was for rock and other similar types of music.

NSX, thanks for sharing your experiences, here here are how my experience with the WM2's fall into your 4 points:

1) I don't think the build quality is that bad, but definitely below average. The y-split and plug need some gluing. But I am pretty gentle with my headphones. Microphonics are the worst I have experienced so I wear them with the cables over the ear, which also helps with my ear angle.

2) Depending on my source, they can seem very thick with bass and dark sounding which clouds the rest of the spectrum somewhat (sound card), or they can sound a little clearer, yet still have quite a bit of bass (Fuze), or they can be very detailed, clear, and controlled with great yet controlled bass impact and awesome space and reverberation of acoustic instruments (AMP3).

3) Nothing to write home about with rock/pop, but suffers compared to the IE8 and C710 with trance and really sounds small to me with live recordings.

4) Don't have a jazz collection, so I don't know!!! Does work very well with soft rock, rock, pop, classic rock, and that type of music. OK with metal and some of my electronic.

When paired with the AMP3, these are almost the perfect IEM for me, the soundstage (compared to the IE8 and C710) is the one thing missing. They still have been getting most of my ear time with the AMP3. I am not sure these would get much if any ear time with my other sources. But then I bought them to pair with my AMP3.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #43 of 73
I love how everyone hears differently. I concluded that anything vocal was amazing with these. Jazz ended up being one of them. If Mingo could redo the build of these, I think they would have a hit. It might even be better than the victor fx500 for a few things. build however, keeps me from recommending them.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how everyone hears differently. I concluded that anything vocal was amazing with these. Jazz ended up being one of them. If Mingo could redo the build of these, I think they would have a hit. It might even be better than the victor fx500 for a few things. build however, keeps me from recommending them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I just found the vocals on these to be quiet undefined and almost harsh when I was listening to Diana krall, Norah Jones or Madeleine Peyroux.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my IE8....

Yea, amazing how everyone hears things differently...to me the IE8 has a veil over it. The presentation is smoother, the smoothest I have head, and the vocals do stand out more with the IE8, but the clarity of the vocals is better with the WM2. The IE8 sounds pretty bad in comparison when switching to it after listening to the WM2 when using the AMP3 as a source, well except for the wider stage. And just recently I played around with the IE8 tips to see if I could get them to sound better, but came back to the same tips I have been using.

Have you tried bi-flange tips with the WM2? By far the best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back