Mingda help! please
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Derek51

New Head-Fier
I just received my new Mingda MC84-C07 amplifier and I'm struggling a little to get it to work. It came with a non U.S. power cord plug of some origin. I bought a new power cord that seems to fit with the U.S. standard grounded plug end. I've got the L & R line level inputs going to it from a cd player. Turn it on and NOTHING??? The tubes seem like they are in correctly. Any ideas? No manual in the box as I can't read a word of Chinese. Gettin a little anxious.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 26
Does the unit power on at all? Does the tubes light up? If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then it could be a switching issue. There are two switches on it. One on the back and one on the side. The one on the side switches between the speaker outs and the headphone outs. The headphone out won't work if the switch is on speaker. Also make sure the switch on the back is on the correct input. It switches between the pc(which is the 1/8in jack) and the cd input(which are the rca jacks). If the unit doesn't power on, then check the fuse. It's located on the back where the power plug is.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the unit power on at all? Does the tubes light up? If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then it could be a switching issue. There are two switches on it. One on the back and one on the side. The one on the side switches between the speaker outs and the headphone outs. The headphone out won't work if the switch is on speaker. Also make sure the switch on the back is on the correct input. It switches between the pc(which is the 1/8in jack) and the cd input(which are the rca jacks). If the unit doesn't power on, then check the fuse. It's located on the back where the power plug is.

No it doesn't do anything no tube goodness, noise, lights, nothin. I have the switches set correctly for the cd player and headphone output. The original power plug that came with it is some kinda 3 prong with all the prongs being flat? The sticker over the plug reads AC 115 50/60? Thanks again for any ideas.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you check the fuse? If it is ok, you may have a 220v unit.

Got it. It was a bad fuse. Thanks for the advice. I would not have even known that there was a fuse holder under the power cord. Now I can give it a whirl. Thanks again your a sanity saver. Brand new gear that doesn't even fire up. I was about to go postal.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 26
I had to open up my MC-7R preamp when it first arrived to set the slider switch from 230V to 115V operation. You may have to do something similar.

See the black slider switch in the bottom right hand corner of this pic...it will be close to the IEC outlet of course.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/images/MC_84_C07_Insides.JPG

Skylab has this amp and will chime in on it's use when he sees this thread. So hang tight.

Peete.

EDIT: I didn't see the fuse post. Glad to see it's up and running for you now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 26
Got her fired up and HOLY S%$T BATMAN! Crappy stock tubes and no burn in it is a BIG step up from the internal amp in the Apogee Duet. Driving a pair of DT990 2005's that I was thinking about sending back. I may have to take another listen to them. Thanks again for the help.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better tubes will give you another surprise.

Got some Mullard NOS coming. I really want to take it in stages so I can appreciate every change. Even if the stages are only a few days apart. LOL!

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Indeed, it's a very nice amp - I just saw this thread but glad to know that you got everything working, and you will be very happy when you put in the NOS Mullards
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, it's a very nice amp - I just saw this thread but glad to know that you got everything working, and you will be very happy when you put in the NOS Mullards
smily_headphones1.gif

The Mingda just ate it's second fuse. Any idea what the rating is? If it's printed on there these old eyes can't read it. Any special procedure when firing it up? Like don't leave the headphones plugged in or let it warm up for 3 minutes and 17 seconds before giving it the input signal. I'm grasping at straws here. Thanks again for any help.

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem before, and after replacing the fuse with 3A fuse, it works fine for me.

Thanks 3A it is. I'll try that. Glad to hear yours is working after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back