Millett Tube Portable amp
Jan 30, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #16 of 371
I have my money ready and waiting!!! I sold my Darkvoice 336i today to help generate the cash for when this becomes available.

I got to hear this amp this past weekend and it blew me away. I think all of us at the DFW Meet were in shock.

Pete, I know Steve and I both requested it in black, but honestly I don't care if it's pink with purple and yellow poka dots... I gotta have one of these!

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #18 of 371
Very cool. He's not the first though... but the other two designers that I am aware of who did it never marketed designs. Also unsure what kind of battery life they were able to achieve. 40 hours and ability to drive all headphones with authority is an amazing feat! Nice work Pete.
340smile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 371
What tubes does this portable millett use? The same as the "regular" table MH? And also how much abuse can the amp/tube take? Portable things tend to fly around more...
smily_headphones1.gif

This will definately be one of the portable amp to get, when it is published. Sole leader of the league. I dont think LittleDot can stand the competition, unless with the lower price, but SQ wise I think Mr. Millett can be trusted blindly.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 371
Quote:

What tubes does this portable millett use? The same as the "regular" table MH? And also how much abuse can the amp/tube take? Portable things tend to fly around more...

It uses different tubes... battery subminiature types. Sometimes called "hearing aid tubes". They are very rugged, I don't think there will be a problem being abused.

Quote:

How warm does it get?

It doesn't. If it got warm, it would be dissipating enough power that it couldn't run on a battery. Total power dissipation for the whole amp at idle is something like 100mW. This is about the same as most of the portable "opamp" amps.

Pete

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How warm does it get?

not very if at all. I didn't feel any heat from either of the prototypes that had been running almost all day.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 371
This is definitely going to be my new portable/home amp hybrid soon if it's released. I tend to use my pa2v2 straight out of my sound card and leave it on and plugged in at all times, but I'll be using this in it's stead. Does it matter if I leave it plugged in? Will I have to worry about overcharging?

Is it noisy at all? I hate my pa2v2 because of the noise, i want a black background like my little dot.

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 371
Man this looks really interesting. I've never tried a tube amp but a portable tube amp sounds very interesting and something I'd like to have a look at. Do we have any idea as to when they might be available?

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #28 of 371
if there is a list I want #23
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my money ready and waiting!!! I sold my Darkvoice 336i today to help generate the cash for when this becomes available.

I got to hear this amp this past weekend and it blew me away. I think all of us at the DFW Meet were in shock.

Pete, I know Steve and I both requested it in black, but honestly I don't care if it's pink with purple and yellow poka dots... I gotta have one of these!

Oddly enough Britney Spears cancelled her order, and her Pink with Purple and Yellow poka dot amp is the only one available. I'd suggest a nice Chartreuse YoTank for your iPod, and a new Plum cable from Alex.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. He's not the first though... but the other two designers that I am aware of who did it never marketed designs. Also unsure what kind of battery life they were able to achieve. 40 hours and ability to drive all headphones with authority is an amazing feat! Nice work Pete.
340smile.gif

You can't believe how it sounds Jason! This will make many desktop amps obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back