Millett Max Hybrid Problem
Sep 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fatboyigloo

New Head-Fier
Yo headfi,

I recently ordered a millett hybrid minimax from whiplash and I can't get it to work. I connected the tubes, plugged in power source, headphones, rca cable->computer, and got silence. I can take a picture if needed, but I think I'm probably doing something wrong (this is fresh out of the mail).

I'm a total novice at anything having to do with tubes or circuitry, so I'm hoping it's not a serious issue.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 12
Are your tubes glowing? If so you have power. Sounds to me like a source to amp problem. You're connecting your computer's analog stereo OUTPUT to the amp's stereo INPUTS, correct?

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 12
The LED's lighting the tubes glow. For the tubes themselves, only a small wire near the middle of the tubes is glowing.  Not sure how much of a glow is normal for these things.  

Also, upon powering down, the amp gives me a short, fuzzy, pop.through my headphones.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 12
The tube glow is OK, and the pop you're hearing at power down is normal too. What about your source connection to the amp? I suspect that's where your problem is.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Are you waiting about a minute before you expect to hear sound?

The miniMAX has a power on delay circuit. It takes about 45 seconds or so from power up before sound is allowed through the amp. This is to prevent DC current from potentially hurting your phones.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Couple of questions.

1) upon power on, after 45 seconds or so, do you hear a faint click? I am asking if you hear the power on relay switch.

2) have you verified your tubes are completely seated in their sockets? It might take a little bit of force to completely seat the tubes. Gentle, yet firm.

3) most important, can you verify there is any output from your computer? Have you ever hooked anything up to the Jacks you are using on the computer? Do you have any other source you can use? A cd player, iPod, anything else besides the computer just to test things out?

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Just saw this post, but my first reaction is have you contacted Whiplash Audio?  They will stand behind the product, I'm sure.

As Jake says, if everything appears to power up OK, one would suspect that the relay may not be engaging, but there may be other things going on as well.  Sometimes you have to set a different music source on your PC before something like the output jacks are activated - they may not be the default on your PC's sound card.  Again, Jake's 1-2-3 questions above are good things to check.  If you can verify those items, further trouble-shooting should not be your responsibility.  Give Whiplash Audio a call and see what they can do to help out.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Alright, I finally tested your suggestions:

1: The relay switch click is there. 45 seconds in, just like you said.

2. the tubes are fully connected

3. I've tried computer, iPod, and turntable, but haven't had any luck with any of them.

I'll probably call them if you guys can't think of what's wrong.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Alright, I finally tested your suggestions:

1: The relay switch click is there. 45 seconds in, just like you said.

2. the tubes are fully connected

3. I've tried computer, iPod, and turntable, but haven't had any luck with any of them.

I'll probably call them if you guys can't think of what's wrong.

Well, it may be something as simple as the leads coming undone from the terminal block.  Still, you shouldn't have to mess with it.  I'm sure Whiplash will respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back