Millett Hybrid....??
Apr 27, 2006 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about a millett hybrid as my first amp. The only problem is that I don't know where to get one. Rockhopper has stopped selling them, but they have a few left. The only problem is that I probaly won't have enough money until the summer months, which means that they will probaly be all gone. I just talked to MisterX, it seems that he does not build them. Are there any other respectable DIY'ers I should contact? Or are there any businesses that make Millett's? If there are any other good amps in this price range ($200-250), tube or not, it doesn't matter. I would like the amp to synergise well with most headphones, (ie. can be used with both grado's and sennheisers) Thanks for all your help.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, I wouldn't worry about not being able to find a Millett in the up coming months. They pop up on the FS forums pretty regularly.

You could always consider building one yourself too. I have 2 boards coming from a fellow head-fier and will probably be building both over the summer assuming everything goes well. I'm taking a bit of a leap trying this, but the benefits out weigh the consequences, hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply. Well I don't think that building by own would be a very good option. First, I have absolutly no idea about anything DIY, Second, I have no tools to build with, and Third, I would probaly end up hurting myself by trying. I could buy used, but especially with DIY, I just don't know whether it would be good quality (ie. well soldered, build quality isn't crappy). I know this is quite narrow minded of me, but I would rather pay the extra buck, and get it done right. I was also thinking about a M^3.

Edited: M^3 configuration.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 12
Looks good to me.

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Looks good to me.

Really? nothing to upgrade. What op-amps would you recommend? I'm thinking the AD8610 because the OP627 would be too expensive. I'm still very new to amps.

PS. I'm still looking for DIY builders for a Millett Hybrid

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Really? nothing to upgrade. What op-amps would you recommend? I'm thinking the AD8610 because the OP627 would be too expensive. I'm still very new to amps.

PS. I'm still looking for DIY builders for a Millett Hybrid

get the m3 built with cheap opamps (or even jumpers if your source makes adequate voltage) and use better caps.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

What power supplies does he offer? Only upgrade I cant think of is a TREAD. You can opamp roll later.

I would have thought, with specs like that, $300 easy.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 12
The real significant difference between MisterX's and Rockhopper's M3 builds is the case. Cases aren't a dime in the bucket.

To answer your question about further upgrades to MisterX's specs, try a TREAD (because that should fit in the Hammond case). I wouldn't worry about upgrading the caps. The AD8065 opamp is fine, AD8610 is fine too. You can't lose either way you choose. To save money you could omit the bass boost. Maybe get a sexy acrylic top panel?
eggosmile.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Are you sure you don't want to take a shot at building the Millett Hybrid? It really isn't that difficult. $25 of tools will do it and soldering is not difficult. Even better, the DIY forum here will quickly answer your questions and you'll learn something, too.

If you want the PCB, you can buy one here:

http://www.diycable.com

And the AudioXpress article is here:

http://www.pmillett.com

There are a lot of construction threads here and at Headwize, too.

Really, it's not hard. I stuffed and soldered my PCB in under two hours. Biasing is a cakewalk. Casing? Well, depends on what you want. But it's not difficult.

For about $100, it's a terrific deal. Think about it.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Yeah, I don't need bass boost. I wonder how much money that could save me (if any). I am also going to ask MisterX if he can add a gain switch. After doing some research, I think I'm going to get the AD8610. Hmm....I think I'll get a nicer case, or maybe some better knobs and switchs.....NO I must resist...I don't have money....
evil_smiley.gif

You can turn the bare pot shafts, knobs are a luxury.

Get a TREAD. Don't skimp on the power supply. It shouldn't be that expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back