"Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube
Apr 18, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #92 of 507
  Do you have a Greenlee punch for the DIN size stuff? 

I do not, but now after I have googled what it is I wish I had :)
I usually build my panels using a good old drill, Dremel and small files...
Last time I built a panel I promised myself to use the 3D printer and print a panel the next time, but naturally my old one is broken at the moment and my new one is still in prototype stage so it's not usable yet.

Have you used a Greenlee punch? Are they good for aluminium panels and such? No bending of the panel when using it?

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #93 of 507
I have four of them, one for DIN connectors and the rest for tube sockets. They're exquisitely expensive but worth it if you build a lot. Great for aluminum, steel and copper as long as it's not super thick. It won't bend it. I've heard of people running into problems with diecast metal, but I've personally had no issues. Gives a super clean cut... no need for deburring, etc. 

Looking forward to see that 3D printed panel when you're back up and running :) 

As far as my NuHybrid, the parts are coming... I just have to be patient. 
cool.gif
 Trying to decide between a Hammond case and a cigar box for enclosure. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #94 of 507
  I have four of them, one for DIN connectors and the rest for tube sockets. They're exquisitely expensive but worth it if you build a lot. Great for aluminum, steel and copper as long as it's not super thick. It won't bend it. I've heard of people running into problems with diecast metal, but I've personally had no issues. Gives a super clean cut... no need for deburring, etc. 

Looking forward to see that 3D printed panel when you're back up and running :) 

As far as my NuHybrid, the parts are coming... I just have to be patient. 
cool.gif
 Trying to decide between a Hammond case and a cigar box for enclosure. 

I just cut my panels with an abrasive waterjet system. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #96 of 507
haha that might be doable .  . . . 

I frequent a makerspace that has a small 2-axis waterjet system. About a 3'x7' cutting area iirc. Costs $55/hr in increments of .01 hour for me to use it. That's only slightly low pricing (an hour of cutting uses $20 worth of abrasive and a lot of electricity) but i also have a key to the shop and can wander in and use it whenever i want. The university charges $1/minute but since i am not a student or even technically a faculty dependent anymore i would have to talk my way in, and they probably wouldn't let me use it at 8pm on a sunday. 

I am considering cutting faceplates for some amps out of stone tile. I got some really detailed vent work going for my Max.Custom tube protectors are standard hardware + a few minutes in cad + a few minutes cutting + whatever finishing. Waterjet does leave the edges of soft metals kinda rough, and sometimes there is some haze from overspray during piercing. 

I might be willing to cut out some panels for cost of cutting + donation to the makerspace. we're too disorganized and chaotic to figure out how to charge people dues let alone how much that should be but every now and then we get in commercial waterjet work that pays the bills for a month or two. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #97 of 507
Nice! There are similar places in Baltimore / Catonsville, MD, but nothing with a waterjet system... and they are quite disorganized as well, seems to be par for the course. I'm certain some of the people here would be interested, and a donation to a facility that empowers builders to build is an easy spend in my book.  

May 5, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #98 of 507
Just finished putting together a NuHybrid and it sounds amazing but I do have an issue.

It sounds as if the gain is incredibly high, had to switch from my ethers to my DT 770 250 Ohms just to get a listenable level. The only part different from the BOM is the TKD pot. I looked over the solder joints and all look good. Is there anything besides de-soldering and checking each component separately that I can do to troubleshoot?

May 30, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #104 of 507
I just finished my NuHybrid Headphone amp yesterday night.
It worked fine before I put it in the Hammond enclosure, so hopefully it will still work fine when I get the chance to actually try it out for real tonight :)
Oh, and the volume knob is only temporary until the right one arrives.
20170529_222555.jpg
20170529_222612.jpg
20170529_222907.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back