Millett Biasing Problem
Apr 1, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 91
Okay, I put the D2 back in, so I still really don't know if that was the problem, but I measured resistance from cathode to ground on both tubes, and they both can be adjusted to 1.1k ohms, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that both the trimpots are in working order. I'm gonna go test voltages one more time, and then if you guys have any other suggestions...

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #32 of 91
Okay, I just tested the voltages again, and the left side is still reading full voltage
frown.gif
What other tests do I need to do, measuring-wise, to get a better diagnosis on my problem?

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy
Okay, I put the D2 back in, so I still really don't know if that was the problem, but I measured resistance from cathode to ground on both tubes, and they both can be adjusted to 1.1k ohms, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that both the trimpots are in working order. I'm gonna go test voltages one more time, and then if you guys have any other suggestions...

The idea of putting D2 back in is that the resistor did not fix the problem. I'm out of ideas because everything checks out. There isn't anything left to measure.

You rechecked resistance between grid and ground?

Have you tried measuring bias after removing the buffers?

I would question the tube socket. If you have 1K between the cathode and ground, 0-50K between grid and ground, your heaters are working, your tubes are good, and the CCS is good, with about 24V on the input side, and connected to the tube plate, the thing has to bias.

Did you stick wire in the socket and measure resistance from the wire? I took a VD RN55 resistor, bent about 1/2" back, and tightened the loop with a pair of pliars. I then spread the V shaped lead a little and stuck it in a couple tube socket pins. I was able to get good reliable readings after clipping my meter probe on with a grabber clip.

In an old thread, I recall you were using a $3 DMM that gave you very strange readings on your Steps. Did you replace the meter with something better?

If you cannot do the above with a bent lead, you may be able to pull the tube up an 1/8" or so, enough to maintain contact with the socket. You could then stick a probe tip in and check the resistances we discussed. I can't try it directly with mine because it is cased, but I lifted the tube a bit and it still heated up. If one the key pins is open to ground, that may be your problem (or you may just have the tube pulled too far out).

I have one idea left, pretty much a Hail Mary Pass and it will take a little courage. What I am suggesting below I actually did on my Millet and it even fired up afterwards....
k1000smile.gif

This will test the CCS.

1. Remove the buffers
2. Remove the tubes
3. Bend the lead of a 5K resistor as I suggested above and put it in the tube socket, Pin 7 (plate).

4. Put one end of an alligator clip lead on the other end of the 5K resistor.
5. Here is the scary part. Clip the other end of the alligator clip lead to ground.
6. Put the DMM across R5, measuring volts.
7. Power it up.

You should measure about 0.56V across R5, assuming you used a 0.56ma CCS. If it is significantly higher, say more than 1 volt, your CCS is probably shorted. If it is significantly less, some other problem.

You do not actually need the 5K resistor. I grounded the plate right to ground when I tried this (I knew I had a good CCS), and then tried it with the 5K resistor just to ascertain the measurement would be as I thought. The 5K resistor protects R5 in case the CCS is shorted, limiting the current to about 5ma or so (just under 1/10 watt). If you don't have a 5K or so resistor use something lesser but more than 2K and don't leave power on too long, especially if your voltage across R5 is more than one volt.

I can't guarantee you won't blow something up but I tried this on mine and from the above you can see I tried to anticipate the worst case (shorted CCS). If I were in your shoes I would do this, but do it very carefully.

I hope you are learning something from all this
k1000smile.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 91
One other Hail Mary Pass to try.... what exactly did you use as a ground point when you measured grid and cathode to ground?

Ideally you want to use the negative lead of your 24V supply line because everything that is "grounded" should reference back to that. If you used something else, such as your input jack ground or the ground plane vias that surround the board, measure resistance from the negative 24V lead to that ground point, and the 24V lead to the input jack ground in particular. It is possible that what you think is ground is not continuous throughout the circuit. I would check all the ground points, including the ground side of the cathode trim pot to make sure there is essentially zero resistance to ground. You don't have anything better to do at this point...

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #40 of 91
I tested resistance from the negative/ground power in on my socket to the ground plane points scattered on the board, and the resistance always reads 0ohms...
frown.gif
frown.gif

The cathode side of the trimpot does indeed read 0ohms
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

after taking the buffers out, no voltage is read between either of the test points, and biasing is impossible

The TEST POINTS are on the output side of the buffer, so they cannot be used when the buffers are removed. Remove the buffers and use the plate pins instead of the test points to measure the bias voltage.

Technically, the test points measure the voltage at the plates. I think the test points were put on the buffer output because of some concern that cheap, low impedence DMM's might affect the measurements. I use a Wavetek 16XL and I get identical measurements on the test points and the plate when the buffers are installed. I mention this because you have not answered many of the questions I raised last night, including which DMM you are using.

Do the bent resistor lead thing that I discussed in last night's post, and measure the grid, plate and cathode resistances directly from the tube sockets and report ALL the measurements back to us.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

I tested resistance from the negative/ground power in on my socket to the ground plane points scattered on the board, and the resistance always reads 0ohms...
frown.gif
frown.gif

The cathode side of the trimpot does indeed read 0ohms
frown.gif

If the CATHODE SIDE of the trim pot measures 0 Ohms, then the cathode is shorted to ground. I thought we covered this measurement long ago.....

If this is the case- the cathode is at ground - then your problem is simple- find the short to ground. There is a single trace that runs from the cathode pin to the trim pot, C2 and C3. If the problem is the LEFT channel, then the two trim pot pads closest to the center of the board should be checked to make sure they are not bridged to the surrounding ground plane. Same for C2 and C3- one pad on each should not go to ground. If you are sure you do not have a bridge, then I would remove C2 and C3 and recheck bias. It is possible that C2 or C3 is internally shorted, which you cannot determine without removing them. Once removed you can check resistance across the leads. C3 is not necessary for proper audio operation of the amp, but C2 is. Neither is needed to bias the amp. Also check the [edit: TUBE cathode] socket pad, of course, for a bridge.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #43 of 91
Okay, I'm really sorry, the cathode to ground resistance varies with the trimpot, and it was turned low, so I thought it was at 0ohms, but it changes, so sorry about that. I'm doing the other resistance measurements right now.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #45 of 91
Pin 1 (Grid) to ground - 1ohm
Pin 2 (Cathode) to ground - Variable with trimpot
Pin 7 (Triode Plate) to ground - 25ohms

Edit: measuring from the leg of the socket (the flat part) to ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back