Millet Max or M^3 for Grados?
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Walie

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided that ifs finally time to get a proper home amp for my 225s. I've narrowed it down to either of these two amps and i'm torn between the two. If it helps, the source will be an AlienDac that I have no intention to upgrade from.

Anyone else have experience with these two amps with Grados that they would like to share?

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 19
I have built two versions of each, and did listen a brief time to both with 225 (my only foray into Grado), but my bias is so strong to tube it would be best for me not to comment.

IFF you like a warmer presentation, take the Max - cooler and more precise, take the m³. I'd strongly suggest the 637/627 opamps with the Grados on m³.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 19
You can't really go wrong with either. Buy one, try it. If you like it, stick with it, if you don't, sell and buy the other. Your own ears matter more than anyone else's.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 19
I've heard the Millet at a meet and I own an m^3 and I prefer the m^3 but I havent heard the millet long term. If anyone wants to loan me one ...
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 19
Why? Nothing wrong with a little high pass in the feedback, and when its turned all the way down, its basically bypassed. Is there much of a diff between a shorted cap and no cap at all? Anyway, I rather like the feature. If I was going for a clean feedback, I'd go for zero feedback
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 19
but its not exactly in the signal path, its.. just.. kind of..
edit: okay, fair enough, it does have enough of an influence on the signal to be more 'in' than 'out' of the path, even though its not in it at all. But, I'm really not sure how ill of an effect it has on a signal that goes through a feedback op-amp anyway, especially while turned 'off'. That being said, a lot of people would prefer having a variable bass boost than none, specially when they can choose to have it off and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference compared to if it weren't even there to begin with, while still being able to use it if they desired. I've got loads of music that I like with a little more oomph, and to have an amp that can deliver it is rather nice
smily_headphones1.gif

This doesn't set my stance at all regarding the OPs question.. I have both amps in question, and generally prefer listening to my MAX, but depending on the music, I reach for the M³ on occasion. I also haven't listened to a max with any grados yet either, so. also..

OP: what music do you listen to most often? This may help others answer you better..

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Mainly rock and acoustic, with some dabbling in jazz and techno.

I'm leaning towards an M^3, but I can't escape the allure of tubes with a Grado, hence the Millet Max

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 19
well, like I said, I still can't comment on how the MAX is with grados, though it's something special with rock! acoustic is great too.. jazz can go well on either, but I think techno is better on the M³, generally speaking. MAX is def more 'musical'.. you would love both.. and tube's are definately worth a shot, I'm sure you'd love them. Is your interest in building or buying?

Cause if you're building.. you'll want to build them all.. they're both nice builds... so it becomes, which one first? but you've been here long enough to know that already... hmm.. I guess its like that if you're buying too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back