Millet Hybrid Construction Thread
Dec 16, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #377 of 441
Thanks!

Good to know, but now I have to ask, just because I'm that way
tongue.gif

Why are 1/4W resistors called out in the parts list, if 1/8W are OK?

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #378 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Thanks!

Good to know, but now I have to ask, just because I'm that way
tongue.gif

Probably cause they are the most commonly available.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #379 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam

The board is laid out to accept the bigger RN60 series resistors. There are some who claim that the RN60 sounds better than the RN55, but I am not a believer.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #381 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by diskostu
Do I need to connect the alps pot to the alps ground pad on the original revised millet board?

Odds are that if you do not you will have a grounding problem with the metal pot shaft of the alps. It will likely buzz when you are touching it. In my opinion it's safer to ground it as I've never had a problem by doing this, but I've certainly had issues when I did not.

My 2¢,

Nate

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #383 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by diskostu
Did you used the top left screw on the back of the alps for the ground connection (like wrapping the wire around the screw)?

Thanks

-David

Yep, that's the place I did mine and it cured that buzz you get Nate was talking about. Just wrapped it around the screw and soldered the other end to the pad for ground.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #384 of 441
quick question: it's my understanding that the gain in this amp is pretty much set and not much can be done to change that, however I find my volume is way too sensitive right now. what can be done to change that? right now I listen to the amp with the volume knob around 7 to 8, Id like to have a little more range of motion in the ALPs pot.... what should I do?

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #387 of 441
I built up two boards: one that uses the BOM from diyforums.org and the other uses the same BOM with the exception of C7, which Elna Cerafine 470 uF. I'm powering them with the Elpac power supply, it's rated at 24C, 0.75A from the same BOM.

When I try to turn on either boards the power supply dies. It goes from 24V to ~2V and the LED's flicker. I think the inrush current is tripping some protection circuit in the power supply. If I take the tubes out it powers up fine and the LED's light up. Has anyone else had the same problem?

TZ200116020655696.jpg

TZ200116020656243.jpg

-David

Jan 16, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #388 of 441
David,

What are the details of your power supply, specifically it's rated maximum current? I have used 24V/450mA supplies without a problem but I wouldn't go much below that.

Nate

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #389 of 441
Nate,

I'm using the Elpac FW1824 from the diyforums BOM. It's rated at 24V, 0.75A max. I figured out that it is the inrush current that's shutting down the power supply. If I leave the tubes out and turn the amp on the LED's flicker until the circuit has stablized (caps charged). If I leave the tubes in the LED's flicker and the power supply outputs ~2V. Here's the catch, if I first power on the amp without the tubes then put in the tubes the amp works.

Once I get the two Millets cased, I need to build a couple of Steps. It'll be a couple of months till I get them cased up.

-David

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #390 of 441
Hey guys, I have a quick question that I'm sure has been asked many times before, but I have not seen an answer to.

If someone could please roughball an answer as to how much a Millet would cost to build with standard parts (not really premium grade stuff), what would be the figure? I need to do a Senior project for school and I'm debating as to whether I want to build the PPA or the Millet. I would really like to hear the warm sound of the tubes for myself but I want to save money while doing so.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back