Military Career Suggestions
Feb 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 51
I don't know how it goes in the US armed forces but here in Israel it is mandatory. 3 years for men and 2 years for women. I'm enlisting at March 2011.
I say go for it, 3 years aren't so much and you will only gain from it and be a more responsible person and leader. Good Luck!

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #32 of 51
Sorry for the late responses. I have been working my dead end job (Server at the Olive Garden). I was thinking about joining the Air Force and doing something with computers (I consider myself well above average in that I build and tweak them). I'm basically looking for a job in the Air Force that will allow me in 3-6 years when I get out to actually be able to live a happy civilian life with financial security and make ends meat and live comfortably.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the late responses. I have been working my dead end job (Server at the Olive Garden). I was thinking about joining the Air Force and doing something with computers (I consider myself well above average in that I build and tweak them). I'm basically looking for a job in the Air Force that will allow me in 3-6 years when I get out to actually be able to live a happy civilian life with financial security and make ends meat and live comfortably.

While I obviously would not say stay away from the USAF (I like it), 3-6 years will not provide financial security (retirement is 20 years). 4-6 will get you the GI bill, as well as some pretty damn good experience.

Just a heads up - the AF is currently not in serious recruiting phase, so make sure you do stellar on the ASVAB. Your wait may be a long one.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I obviously would not say stay away from the USAF (I like it), 3-6 years will not provide financial security (retirement is 20 years). 4-6 will get you the GI bill, as well as some pretty damn good experience.

Just a heads up - the AF is currently not in serious recruiting phase, so make sure you do stellar on the ASVAB. Your wait may be a long one.

Well if I end up thinking its for me I would most likely stay in and make it a career.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #35 of 51
Of course Canada is just doing whatever the US is doing. I'm fine with that.
Seems like CF doesn't have much infantry jobs left. Aw. If that's the case I'll apply for artillery or arms tech.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #37 of 51
Well I don't dig the chicks. I dig the gear, the team, the spirit. Also the toughness is a form of fun for me. Also headphones. Heck, might draw up camo'd bulletproof orthos.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry grawk. I agree with you. Lets keep it that way. I am glad some posts were deleed.

That explains it, I couldn't understand what grawk was talking about. I must have missed it.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #42 of 51
Here's one that I know, I'm pretty sure there are more out there.
FREE ASVAB Test Preparation - Short and Full-length Practice Tests, Study Guide and Tips

I just have a question to those that have experience. Is there any chance that you won't get into AF, even if you passed all qualifications? Is it like applying to a college, that can they choose who to recruit or not? Also, is having Army as a back-up in case I don't get into AF a good plan? or should I just have community college as the back-up? How different is Army from AF and is army as good to female recruits as AF is(as far as I hear from family, they are the best branch for females)? I just wanna know from someone that actually can tell me the truth and not someone who I have a feeling just wants me to sign the dotted line
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't dig the chicks. I dig the gear, the team, the spirit. Also the toughness is a form of fun for me. Also headphones. Heck, might draw up camo'd bulletproof orthos.

Very cool, most paras throughout the world have a very tough reputation. I was a paratrooper for more than a few years. It's worth doing, in the US the airborne units get a bit more funding, better missions, etc.. I was in the airborne unit in AK and in the 82nd in NC. I'm not sure what Canada has, but you can pick a technical field and still jump, learn something and be adventurous.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 51
Well, I only spent 20 years, 1 month and 11 days (not that I was counting). I was a Senior Personnel Sergeant and with that came alot of responsibility and demands. What did I learn? Discipline and a work ethic. I still miss the comradre and how folks look out for you and you for them as well. Don't see that alot out here in the civilian world. My advice to you is to take the ASVAB test and talk to a recruiter to see what they can offer you. Make sure you have the agreement in writing in the contract. Once that is done you go for it. For me the US Army was where I had and raised by children (4) and they got to experience Germany, Italy, Holland, Japan, Okinawa and France along with almost every country in Europe. They are all doing fine now and still talk about all the fun they had overseas. Instead of goofing off all your time in the military get as much college at night and stuff as you can as almost all college's accept the military college time for credit and you can really put a dent in a degree and it is dirt cheap while on active duty. Well, that is my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back