Miles Davis
Apr 19, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 42
[no response]

To other members - no flames, please......
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 42
[cough]

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 42
My first Jazz CD was A Love Supreme by Coltrane. I was intoxicated by Coolvij advertising for it!
I bought it a Monday afternoon, copied it on MD the evening and it stayed in my MD player untill the end of the week. I listened to it three times a day (at least) for 4 days straight. Nothing else.

At first, I couldn't make much sense of it. It was just burst of notes and tones followed by silences. But at the end of the week, it had become one of my all-time favorite.

The rythm of it, the luxuriant vibrations at the end ... I'm hooked!

So --> Take your time!

I love Miles Davis as well. Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain are among my favorites ...

P.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 42
So let me get this straight....

You don't like Beethoven, one of the two or three greatest musical geniuses of all time and one of the greatest minds in the history of western civilisation ...

You don't like Kind of Blue, almost certainly the greatest jazz recording ever made and one of the greatest musical works of the twentieth century ...

You should either stop trying to appreciate great music, or you should try a lot harder.

Ross

Apr 19, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 42
well....er.....

perhaps try some bossa nova (Stan Getz for instance)?

but please put some more time into those classics man, they're worth it.

Apr 19, 2002 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 42
Hey Lou,
At the risk of a flame job...
maybe you should try some of the "smooth Jazz". or more fusion type. Look for Spyro Gyra or Soulive Then you can ease yourself into the more traditional Jazz. For many, this is an aquired taste, but once your hooked your hooked. I will be working on that compilation cd we talked about this weekend and will get it out to you next week.

Of course, theres allways Pink Floyd
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 42
Lou,
If certain posters are offended by your comments, there is a solution...they dont have to read them! I for one enjoy taking part (if only vicariously) in your music search. I look forward to your daily posts about what you discover you like and don't. So, please, don't stop those great posts!

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 42
I aggree with 2 channel, please share. The board is often very "politically correct". People don't challenge commun beliefs enough. Then a few threads like "Sony a44 rediscovered" or "what albums do you secretly listen to" throw a light hearted and iconoclast note. I think it is good.

I dare say, I don't like Beethoven symphonies either, except for the 9th. And I don't like the voices in the 9th. I don't like opera. I don't like Verdi's Requiem (much prefer Faure).
I know those are considered musical masterpices. So what? I -as in me, individual- don't like it.
I'm willing to avoid labels of quality music and easy listening. You should not listen to specific music pieces in an effort to belong to an "elit". It is about enjoying, right?

Due to limited audio budget, I did not buy much equipment. For me the main benefit of this borad has been discovery of new music. In a few months I discovered:
- Michael Hedges
- Nick Drake
- Phish
- Coltrane
- Miles Davis
This is much better than buying HD600, in my opinion.

So, please keep on rambling about your musical discoveries and disappointments.
And anyway, just take your time, give music a chance, whatever people think of it.

P.

Apr 19, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 42
LTUCCI, keep posting -- even negative comments! As long as they're polite, they're very entertaining, and you may learn something.

One possible thing for you to do is to take that Miles Davis recording and play it over and over again. Play it while you do other stuff in other parts of the house, or whatever. Just keep playing it two or three times a day for a few weeks. Eventually you may get used to it and start enjoying it.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 42
Keep posting your opinions. ESPECIALLY in the music forum, there's really no need (*cough*ross*cough*
wink.gif
) for people to disparage other people's opinions.

I agree that Kind of Blue is one of the greatest pieces of music ever recorded. But I have friends who aren't into jazz who can't stand it. People like different kinds of music. 'nuff said.

At least you're trying new things. That's commendable.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 42
You know, if you just don't like the brightness of Miles' trumpet, there isn't much u can do.

The trumpet isn't a very dark, smooth instrument. The flugelhorn isn't, even!

The tenor sax IS however, so definetely go for some Coltrane.

A Love Supreme is a great album.......

(I love advertising for Trane.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back