Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Jul 30, 2004 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

james__bean

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got started listening to jazz. At first I started out listening to Herbie Hancock and that was great. I also listened to School Days by Stanley Clark. (There's this 4 minute stretch in the bulk of the first song that I just can't get enough of.) After doing a little more research and reading some opinions I came across this album. Man, this is a really great album. It's very spontaneous and it has this amazing way of just changing the tempo in a split second. It's like they'll go into this fast drum beat with the trumpets going in the background and the keyboard going crazy, then all of sudden it will just go into this smooth solo trumpet with a faint whisper of symbols. I really love it. I can't even describe in words how amazing this album is.

Anyways, I guess now I'm just looking for more albums of this caliber and style. I was thinking about picking up E.S.P? Are there any other albums that some of you might recommend? Not just Miles Davis but anyone really. I'm getting 20% cd's at work on the 6th so I'm looking to stock up
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 19
That period of Miles between 1964 and 1974 is my favorite. Here was a guy on top of his world and he just reinvents not only himself but the music as well.

To really understand this metamormophosis you should get "The Complete Concert 1964 My Funny Valentine + Four & More" which is Miles, Herbie Hancock, Tony Willimas, Ron Carter, and George Coleman at the very end of that groups existance. Incredible show.

Then get yourself "Miles In the Sky". What's the first insturment you hear (besides a little tick-tock of Tony Willaims' cymbals)? Herbie Hancock on electric piano - his first appearence on an electric insturment and the first time one was on a Miles recording. What a mind-blower that must've been back in the day! This is one of my favorite CD's of all time.

Then get "In A Silent Way", the precurser to "Bitches Brew".

Then get "Nefertiti", "Water Babies", "Filles de Kilimanjaro", and "On the Corner".

Lastly, if you really dig Bitches Brew, seek out the 4-CD columbia box set of that album. Listen to the edits and the unreleased tracks and see how they put them all together to make a whole composition.

I'm erix and I like Late-Sixties Miles Davis.

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 19
I forgot to mention "Panthalassa - the Music of Miles Davis, 1969-1974" reconstruction and remix by BIll Laswell.

This is a KILLER CD! Laswell had unrestricted access to the master tapes and he put together four tracks that melt different pieces (sometimes from different albums) into one seamless trans-inducing composition. A must-have.

I think there's a remix of THIS album which should be awesome as well...

ok,
erix

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 19
erix, thanks, now I there are more Miles Davis cd's I have to buy. Between Davis and Coltrane, I may never have time to listen to anything else. Kind of Blue is another classic Miles Davis cd. Bitches Brew is one of my favorites at the moment.

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 19
If you're open to things other than Miles and want to explore more of that fusion sound I would recommend some of these:

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy
Weather Report - Heavy Weather or Black Market
Jean-Luc Ponty - Imaginary Voyage

I've enjoyed all of these for many years.

Aug 1, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 19
If you're into Miles, I recommend Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain, both of which are almost constantly playing in my headphones.

If you want a taste of Coltrane, get A Love Supreme or his Live Olatunji Concert recording. Or if you want a more challenging task, try and trace the evolution of his legendary "My Favorite Things" recordings over the years.

If you like the more bass-centric style of Stanley Clarke, I recommend listening to artists like Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, or Christian McBride.

Aug 1, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 19
I really dig Bitches Brew as well. It's a very hypnotic album, and one of only a few that can put me in a complete trance when I listen to it (the others being Fennesz's Endless Summer and Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. II). You might like those, but if you are into Herbie Hancock at all and are looking for something in the same vein as Bitches Brew, I'd recommend the album Music is Rotted One Note by Squarepusher. Tom Jenkinson has been called "the Miles Davis of the sampler," and you can definitely here why on this album. It has some of the same unpredictable, eerie chord changes and smooth-yet-angular electric piano as Bitches Brew, but it has some "glitch" elements that, while absent from Mile's stuff, doesn't sound out-of-place in the slightest in Jenkinson's compositions. Check it out if you are interested in electronic music at all.

Aug 1, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 19
Actually I'm into a little bit of electronica. I listen to Sasha, DJ Tiesto, Crystal Method, Oakenfold, Bjork (if you want to classify her as that
tongue.gif
) and a few others. I've actually always wanted to check out Aphex Twins because everyone talks about them. So much music, so little time
biggrin.gif
I'll have to check out the Squarepusher though, thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 1, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJHK
If you like the more bass-centric style of Stanley Clarke, I recommend listening to artists like Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, or Christian McBride.

I have to agree with all the recommendations about Miles. "Flamenco Sketches" (Alternate Take) on Kind of Blue is truly outstanding as is "Blue in Green" from the same album. With Coltrane, Bill Evans, Wynton Kelly, James Cobb, Paul Chambers, and the inimitable Cannonball Adderly playing with Miles, that album was and is a piece of genius.

It's really too bad Jaco left us way too soon.

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 19
Check out anything from the Yellowjackets since Bob Mintzer joined the band.

"Blue Hats", "Timesquared" or "Mint Jam" (Live)...A perfect mixture of contemp, straight ahead and fusion. Absolute masters on their instruments.

More fusiony?? Dennis Chambers "Outbreak"...Dennis is regarded as top 2-3 drummers in the world.

There is lots of stuff out there.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Since jazz and electronica are being mentioned in the same thread I would like to make mention of the band Jaga Jazzist. They have a couple LPs out that are very good. 70% jazz 30% low fi sampling/electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back