MIGHTY FINENESS OF GERMAN AWESOMENESS
May 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 24
Well they look pretty nice. I wish I could try them, along with 30 other headphones. No way I'm killing my wallet just to try them though.
tongue_smile.gif

May 12, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 24
On the subject of sibilance: I tried the DT880 250ohm some time back and really enjoyed the refreshingly differet sound from what I was used to. The only problem I had was sibilance. Track which exposed this: diana krall's s'wonderful. The setup was MacBook pro to crazy cheap DAC (forgot the brand) and a very basic home amp ( I think it was like a maxed out cmoy with a wall wart). When I moved to a dedicated CD player, playing the same track to a bigger amp (corda swing iirc) siblance was gone. 2 variables: 320 aac source file and extra juice from a dedicated cdp and bigger home amp. I guess one could improve the source an the juice driving thes cans to remedy the sibilance.

May 12, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 24
I say exactly the same thing about law school. In Hong Kong at least, everyone's crazy here. 

Quote:

“But where do you get the cash to afford all these mighty fine morsels of musical heaven???” Well my good sir, there are some advantages to being an engineering major who hardly does anything during the semester except study(I think I really spent around $100 in entertainment last semester). All the money I don't spend on movies, parties, concerts, and Carl Jung action figures, and all the stuff I depressingly don't get to do during the semester(but would like to) pays off in the end. And in my case, it pays in headphones.

May 12, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:

Now, I know what you're thinking. “He couldn't really have bought another pair of headphones... could he?” Yes sir, I could, would, and will again.

“But why? A headphone is a headphone is a headphone... right?” Absolutely wrong. Headphones have personality, character, flavor – each has its own unique identity. And there is no one best headphone. Different headphones are suited to different moods, different styles of music, not to mention the personality of whoever bought them(I'm not sure what this implies about people who like to buy multiple headphones. Hmm...).

Ha, that might have been a good intro if you were posting it in any kind of normal forum, but i don't think that explanation is nessecery in the Head-fi Audiophiland.

May 12, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 24
A home amp can definitely cure sibilance on some headphones ... the K701 is a monster straight from my portable, but it's alright with anything else. I wish I knew the technical reason though.

Quote:
On the subject of sibilance: I tried the DT880 250ohm some time back and really enjoyed the refreshingly differet sound from what I was used to. The only problem I had was sibilance. Track which exposed this: diana krall's s'wonderful. The setup was MacBook pro to crazy cheap DAC (forgot the brand) and a very basic home amp ( I think it was like a maxed out cmoy with a wall wart). When I moved to a dedicated CD player, playing the same track to a bigger amp (corda swing iirc) siblance was gone. 2 variables: 320 aac source file and extra juice from a dedicated cdp and bigger home amp. I guess one could improve the source an the juice driving thes cans to remedy the sibilance.

A sense of humor mate. 
smile_phones.gif
 Best audio related tweak after alcohol. 

Quote:
Ha, that might have been a good intro if you were posting it in any kind of normal forum, but i don't think that explanation is nessecery in the Head-fi Audiophiland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back