Midrange IEMs with microphone (headset)?
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

theriel

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Most of discussion on this forum concerns IEMs without a microphone. Having used Etymotic Research HF3 (effectively HF5 with microphone), i have been wondering - what are the alternatives, at similar price range?

So far I have only managed to find B&O H3. All the usual recommendations (Shure SE215, RE0, Brainwavz R1, GR06) do not have a microphone.

What else is out there, worthy recommendation?

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 11
UE900

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 11
@Timeshock - This is a good idea, but there aren't really that many IEMs with detachable cable at HF3 price ($120), or even sub-$200... with the notable exception of Shure SE215.

@artpiggo - UE900 are available in the UK only at $400 (sic)...

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 11
FiiO F9 Pro and NuForce EDC3 - both are well under 200, has removable cable and actually include both normal as well as mic cable.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 11
There have been quite a lot of additions to the IEM market with detachable cables in the budget sector. To name some: iBasso IT01, Brainwavz B200 / B400, MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 / P2 / PX. If you want to go even cheaper you can look at the KZ lineup or head over to the china IEM thread.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Unless I am mistaken, all the options mentioned, unlike Etymotics HF3, have over-the-ear cabling... ? I guess that's what you have to get if you want a detachable cable at this price range...

So, really, not many options with already built-in microphone, apart from HF3, B&O H3, and the previously mentioned overpriced UE900?

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 11
OK, so... regarding noise-cancelling IEMs with microphone, without the over-the-ear design, we only have the choice of HF5 and MEE (which ends up costing even more than HF5 once you add the extra cable) ?

That seems crazy.

Oh well, I guess I might as well get used to the over-the-ear cabling...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 11
Did you actually do some research yourself? All of the MEE Audio Pinnacles come with a mic cable. Then you have the popular 1MORE Triple Driver which has no replacable cable but comes with a mic and down the ear style. Just look around this forum a bit and you will find plenty.
If you widen your search to chi-fi you get a lot more options aswell.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 11
@TImeshock - I never post on any forum without having done any research myself. But I must admit that there have been few topics dedicated specifically to IEMs with microphone.

The reason why i have been asking (and hoping to get more responses from other people) is because I consider paying over $200 for Etys HF3 a huge stretch, especially given that they are not durable at all (I need something which will withstand London underground, gym, jogging and trekking - not listening in a studio). I appreciate your suggestions and I have been reading a lot about MEE P1 and FiiO F9 Pro, currently leaning towards the MEEs (as there seem to have been quite a few negative comments about the overly-high treble in Fiio). I am still not convinced about the price/value ratio (I used to pay $110 for Etys HF3, so paying $190 for MEEs which are considered to be same-class, is a bit frustrating - I guess viva Brexit...), but I take some comfort in the fact that they should last much longer (as I can always buy a new cable at a fraction of the price).

Thank you also for suggesting the chi-fi. I will read more about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back