midnight Halo 2?
Nov 11, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #46 of 69
I was playing with my brother, and have to say that it isn't nearly as impressive as the first game, too much dependence on cutscenes, and way too linear for my taste. Well, back to FarCry, and waiting for Half-Life 2.

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #47 of 69
If by linear you mean constantly moving forward instead of going backwards through levels you've already completed and somehow calling that a new level, then yes, I agree, it's too linear. Although there are 2 story lines that kind of converge in the middle so I guess it's not that linear.

As for the cutscenes, who really gives a crap? The game play is perfect, the graphics are beautiful, and the levels are HUGE and incredibly well paced & laid out. An infinitely better game in my opinion.

I just beat it on my friend's xbox on normal. I haven't owned a video game system in a few years. I'm saving up to get my own xbox + halo2 + xbox live subscription, just for halo2. It's simply the best first person shooter that I've played, and probably my favorite game since Soul Calibur.

Nov 11, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #48 of 69
I just went in and bought a copy, no wait, plenty there. I'm hoping that I'll have all day tommorow to play it thru.
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #49 of 69
Funny thing is a friend of mine went to Electronics Boutique when they opened at 12am on Nov 9 and bought the game even without reserving it beforehand. Needless to say this was much to the chargin of many other people in line who had pre-bought the game, some over two years ago! He waited in line for only an hour while some who had pre-bought the game had to wait two hours since they formed two different lines--those who had pre-bought and those who had just reserved the game. Guess which was longer. He got into the reserved line and when he got to counter he simply asked if he could buy a copy although he didn't have a copy reserved. "Sure", they said, "no problem!"
biggrin.gif
It just goes to show that there is no need to reserve a game, much less pre-buy one.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #50 of 69
I picked mine up at my local GameStop the day of, but during my lunch hour. The guys said they had 2 lines - the paid in full line was shorter than the deposit only line. They did not accept any walk up.

In fact someone bought a defective one, returned it, but they could not give him a new one. All the Halo2s were spoken for. BTW, the customer bought the SE and the game disc had a dimple on it. Don't know if it was a production defect or it happened during shipping.

Apparently MS went cheap with the case, even though its metal. Usually when ther are 2 DVDs (all those Disney SEs and re-releases that my kids have) there is that extra flap that houses 2 discs. MS, for some whacky reason placed the discs on top of each other!!!

BTW - the game is great. More of the same, but more of it!

Regards - reynman

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #51 of 69
I picked up my copy of Halo 2 at the release party at Universal City Walk in Los Angeles. #252 in the city to get his game.
biggrin.gif

I also ordered my xbox a day later.
tongue.gif
(Don't worry, I've been playing it on my friend's xbox)

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Funny thing is a friend of mine went to Electronics Boutique when they opened at 12am on Nov 9 and bought the game even without reserving it beforehand. Needless to say this was much to the chargin of many other people in line who had pre-bought the game, some over two years ago! He waited in line for only an hour while some who had pre-bought the game had to wait two hours since they formed two different lines--those who had pre-bought and those who had just reserved the game. Guess which was longer. He got into the reserved line and when he got to counter he simply asked if he could buy a copy although he didn't have a copy reserved. "Sure", they said, "no problem!"
biggrin.gif
It just goes to show that there is no need to reserve a game, much less pre-buy one.
rolleyes.gif

I think that if it was playstation, they would be sold out. Xbox is just not the same size market as Sony.

On a lighter note, I smell a marketing ploy here, possibly the outlets are only allowed to make advance sales for a period of time to create a false sense of urgency to pre-ordering.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #53 of 69
I was enjoying 480P 90" Halo 2 on my projector last night, unfortunately today the projector is going in for service
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I think that if it was playstation, they would be sold out. Xbox is just not the same size market as Sony.

It varies per state. In Washington the xbox is the king but I dont expect much less from the home of microsoft
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by yblocgerg
I was enjoying 480P 90" Halo 2 on my projector last night, unfortunately today the projector is going in for service
frown.gif

LOL, that's what happens when you try to beat Halo 2 in one night.
biggrin.gif

I think I played for 10 hours straight.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Nov 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

This is why I never pre-order any games anymore. Unless they do a midnight madness sale, I've usually gotten the game later because other stores broke their release dates and sold early, or there was a sale that day. I've even been burned by EB where I pre-ordered, and they said they didn't have any left when I went to pick it up.
rolleyes.gif

Although I did "pre-order" Halo 2 this time.

I pre-ordered by 40 minutes.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #57 of 69
there were 500 people at my EB waiting to get it, but I went to a small game shop and walked in with no line and bought it at midnight, they begged us to bring more people over there. Does noone here play it on live? I'm already at Level 9 in Rumble Pit on live
smily_headphones1.gif
. Gamertag: BigEKF

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin

It if was on the Playstation 2, I doubt it'd be as good of a game. :p

Nov 12, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

This also all depends on who is releasing the game. When Ninja Gaiden was released I had to wait a week and a half for any of my local game stores to have any, all they had on release day was enough to fill the preorders. Microsoft seems to do releases on a much bigger scale, especially for what may well be the most hyped video game ever!

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #60 of 69
Honestly, I think Halo 2 is a disappointment as far as multiplayer split-screen action is concerned. What do you guys think?

To me it's pretty obvious that the most of the multiplayer levels are set up to be played with at least eight players. Very few levels are enjoyable with 2-4 players--they're simply too big! Also, although the weapon balance is better none of the weapons are as satisfying to use as say the shoot gun or the pistol in the first game. Actually, thus far many weapons seem very ineffective in multiplayer such as the plasma sniper, grenade laucher or the human pistol. Furthermore thus far none of the maps seem to have the simple brilliance displayed in those of the first game--take Hang 'Em High or Boarding Action and compare them to those in Halo 2. Most in the sequel seem lacking in creativity, are overly complex, and in all honesty, just aren't very fun to play.

Also they really screwed with the physics engine. I think my friend said it best "They took Halo and made it play like every other first-person shooter." The physics in Halo 2 just aren't as solid as those in the first game--take the way the vechiles move. No longer to they undulate with every bump and curve of the terrain with you fighting to control them--instead they seem to glide along moreso--especially the Ghost. Also grenades don't have the range they did in the first game, nor do they bounce off structures as easily which makes them less effective. Perhaps this is the point but to me it takes away some of the strategy of integrating grenade and gun tactics that shined in the first game.

And what is with the blurry graphics? My friends and I compared the split screen multiplayer graphics of the original Halo with those of the sequel and Halo 2 is noticably blurrier. Because of this Halo 2 actually looks worse than the orginal game (as far as slit screen action is concerned).
eek.gif

Also the menu system for setting up games is unnecessarily cumbersome with players having to log in one at a time. Why even change this from the first game? It worked perfectly in the first title.

I've yet to play Halo 2 online but I really think Bungie and Microsoft dropped the ball in making Halo 2 I better party game than it predessor. I prefer the orginal in almost every way.

Dual weapons is a cool idea, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back