Mid range IEM Recommendation
Mar 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MadDesign

New Head-Fier
Hello, and let me start of with saying I'm not a audiophile.

This is my first post in any Audio type forum and I am mainly a computer/graphic designer geek
tongue.gif

I joined here as I saw you have an amazing amount of info here and I am in need of some.

Intro done, time for the questions:

I am in need of a new IEM, I have just received my new iPod touch and my JVC Marshmallows died. I have had 3 sets of Marshmallows and I love them compared to the crappy Apple stocks.

I live in the UK so my price range is £60GBP.

My iPod is mostly filled with RnB, Urban, Dance and Rock. I have a little of everything but I like a bit of Bass in my tunes.

I have been looking at these IEM's
  1. Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio
  2. Senn CX500
  3. Bose TriPorts
  4. Shure E2C (My friend has these and I don't like the tips, hard to get in)
  5. Etymotic ER-6i

If you could help me make my suggestion I will be forever gratefull
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance.

MadD

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 20
Stay away from the E2c. The ER-6i won't have the bass that you (probably) require. TriPorts are way overpriced and muddy as well. SF3 Studio sounds great but it doesn't have a whole lot of bass. I haven't heard much about the CX500.

I know there are a lot more IEMs in your price range, but I don't have much experience with them. Someone will post here soon and help you out more than me, hopefully.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 20
ER6i with the Shure Black foam tips is generally my recommendation. However, CX500 will probably fulfill you bass requirement better on the expense of detail. If you can get CX500 for cheap than go for it, if the price is close to ER6i than you will be better off with 6i.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the replies guys,

I have been looking at the bundle on Jaben.net

Bundle : Beyerdynamic DTX 50 [Black Only] + CrossRoads MylarOne X3 Earphone + CrossRoads iPod Line-Out Dock
[US$99.00] - Free International Shipping

This seems like a perfect match for me, as I can use 1 for my ipod and 1 for my phone, or just keep a spare
smily_headphones1.gif

How do these 2 IEM's compare to most?

Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with that.. The E2c are above the SE110, and other IEMs like the SF3 Studio will perform much better for the price.

The SE is an upgrade to the E2c and they have better drivers. I own a SE110 and it sounds great.

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the SE line is an upgrade to the E/SCL series, most people on here say that the SE110 is inferior to the E2c (I'm not sure if it's due to it's cost or sound or both), IIRC. In any case, the SF3 studio is a better value and sounds better anyway.

I don't think many people have actually listened to both the e2c and the se110 - usually some other se series IEM. The 110 is dynamic though, unlike the other se IEMs (and like the e2c), so I think you'd really have to compare them for yourself.

in my experience, the pricerange the op suggested is all about tradeoffs - anything you get will be flawed, just pick which flaws you care the least about.

If you can save up just a tad more, it is a totally different game in the 100 pounds/200 dollars range. If not, a used pair of super.fi 5 pros might do you well.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 20
I had the SE110's and the E2C's, and I have to say I prefer the E2C's over the SE110's. This is primarily because the SE110's were just a muddy mess all over the frequency range.

I got the e2c's for $60 and the 110's for $110 both new, and its ridiculous how the e2c's are better in almost every way than the 110's for $40-50 cheaper. Just stay away from the new Shures until you hit the 310.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 20
I just had a look at the Westone UM1, and I do not like the over the ear design and the look of it at all, looks like a hearing aid
tongue.gif

I am 90% sure I'm going for this Jaben bundle.

Bundle : Beyerdynamic DTX 50 [Black Only] + CrossRoads MylarOne X3 Earphone + CrossRoads iPod Line-Out Dock
[US$99.00] - Free International Shipping

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 20
IS the Super Fi 5 Pro a good IEM? Better than the others mentioned in this thread? I'm looking for a good set of IEM's for an Ipod Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back