Mid-range as clear for vocals or clearer than the HE500 under $500?
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 9
To me, my Beyerdynamic T70 (closed) and T90 (open) headphones offer the best clarity.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Yep - HD600 is a pretty safe bet.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Is vocal clarity the only thing you care about? A Grado SR325e would probably meet your criteria. But they're only good for a limited selection of music. I haven't heard the HE-500, but I imagine it'd have the a bit better clarity than a HD600 based on its price.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 9
One more vote for HD 600, but ONLY IF you're willing to properly amp it. Well actually one other caveat: you have to be ok with less bass than what most would call neutral. Many amps have a bass boost feature; I'd recommend that for sure.

If you're willing to amp and want significantly more bass than the 600 and even more mids (vocal presence), then suggest looking into the Monoprice M1060C. It's kind of an odd bird design-wise but sounds really great IMO. Being planar magnetic it has very low distortion (very clear mids). $250 new.

If you don't want to bother with an amp, then have a look at my first headphone love: VModa XS. It's an on-ear portable with nice clarity and a very natural overall balance, but leans more toward the mids. Also not expensive: $200 new.

So there, I've just managed to recommend all but one of my <$500 headphones in one post - a new record! I value clarity and mids almost above all, so that's why I think my collection might be worth a look.

Actually (lol) let's go for broke: Meze 99 Classics / Noir! The only reason I didn't inlclude these with the others is because they are pretty heavy on the low end. But IMO they do it in a way that doesn't take anything away from a very nice mids presentation. No need for an amp. And again, bell clarity. $300 new.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 9
HD 600 has issues with some female vocals since there's distortion and a lack of refinement in the upper mids.

The HiFiMan Sundara is a logical pick especially now that it's only $350. It hits far above its price range, I easily prefer it to many times more expensive headphones like the Final D8000 for example. It doesn't do anything wrong in terms of sound quality, and the clarity is probably only bested by electrostatics in this price range. It is certainly more clear and detailed than the HE-500.

The aforementioned Verum 1 is also worth considering. I have no experience with it but its reputation is up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back