Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 12, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,381 of 1,858
deleted - wrong thread.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #1,382 of 1,858
Yay
Half way done and it looks nice already

Another nightmare to solder however.

Edit: not looking forward to soldering the Tony Audiophile system.

The cable overall is on the thin side btw. I would have preferred something thicker.
20230413_132035.jpg
Great it is finally done. The shielding wires had some coating (oh ok, it's the so called litz so the shielding wires were all individually insulated) I needed to sand the super thin wires by hand to allow them to take some solder. Very time consuming but I think it's worth it.

Sound-wise it sounds very very different from the Gray Dragon. Actually I think the wire is called Golden Phoneix by Hakugei. So the Phoneix is cleaner and faster sounding than the Dragon with a smaller stage and dryer sounding overall. Probably will report again after a week as from my experience it takes about a week to burn-in. Also, I made the wires after the Y-splitter longer than normal so it's more comfortable to wear.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,383 of 1,858

Great it is finally done. The shielding wires had some coating I needed to sand the super thin wires by hand to allow them to take some solder. Very time consuming but I think it's worth it.

Sound-wise it sounds very very different from the Gray Dragon. Actually I think the wire is called Golden Phoneix by Hakugei. So the Phoneix is cleaner and faster sounding than the Dragon with a smaller stage and dryer sounding overall. Probably will report again after a week as from my experience it takes about a week to burn-in. Also, I made the wires after the Y-splitter longer than normal so it's more comfortable to wear.
Excellent work! The cable looks great and I guess the sound of shielded cores is amazing.
Upd. I wonder what the final cost of the finished cable turned out to be?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,384 of 1,858
Excellent work! The cable looks great and I guess the sound of shielded cores is amazing.
It's very revealing without having any dry and grainy treble but at the moment I find it a bit clinical sounding despite the larger than usual stage size which is a bit offset by the revealing treble and the seperation. It's a bit too "accurate" basically. Hope the stage will expand a bit and the treble will tone down a little after burn-in. Sure it needs some time to settle.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,385 of 1,858
Brave man :)

I might order another cable too, but am a bit hesitating with myself, unable to decide, whether to pull the trigger on an Effect Audio at last or going for one of the offers on Ali eg this particular one...
GreenMood
IMG_20230414_131245.jpg
IMG_20230414_131253.jpg
IMG_20230414_131303.jpg
IMG_20230414_131730.jpg

Just got it! First impressions of the sound: bright, very detailed, fast transients. Will burn in it now and wait.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,387 of 1,858
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,388 of 1,858
Brave man :)

I might order another cable too, but am a bit hesitating with myself, unable to decide, whether to pull the trigger on an Effect Audio at last or going for one of the offers on Ali eg this particular one...
GreenMood
go for the Greenmood, this cable is something fine, Not smooth out like those palladium or dark like graphene , but very neutral and very refine cable, detail/soundstage/holographic is nice with this cable, bass hit deep and weight :not over the place. Buy when Ali sale, it's worth buying and keep for me, ( just for info, i had 3 diff of palladium and one graphene and diff cable from Hakugei/tainwan/Cema and Haldane/Xinns and greenmood is diff from other, like i had said before, most of mid from Ali 100-300$ us cable sound similar, nut greenmood is diff , just little bulky but better than OG totem and graydragon

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,389 of 1,858
go for the Greenmood, this cable is something fine, Not smooth out like those palladium or dark like graphene , but very neutral and very refine cable, detail/soundstage/holographic is nice with this cable, bass hit deep and weight :not over the place. Buy when Ali sale, it's worth buying and keep for me, ( just for info, i had 3 diff of palladium and one graphene and diff cable from Hakugei/tainwan/Cema and Haldane/Xinns and greenmood is diff from other, like i had said before, most of mid from Ali 100-300$ us cable sound similar, nut greenmood is diff , just little bulky but better than OG totem and graydragon
Thanks a lot for such detailed description. I just got that Greenmood does not suit for my musical preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #1,390 of 1,858
Thanks a lot for such detailed description. I just got that Greenmood does not suit for my musical preferences.
sorry to hear that, synergy is everything, i do normally open solder socket and treat inside out with contact enhaner stabilant 22 for all my cables (iem/hp/main) , and i concur this cable is not for all around, and sound too good with my Impact and Fourte, but not with Z1R/UM and others ,all test with Antelope Zodiac
note: i do stop over buy Chifi cables and more to other brands, Wagnus, PWA and EA may do the trick for your taste, most of my chifi collections is very similar with cut-off and smooth out freq, maybe due to poor solder paste, or fake ends connectors, and/or all fake advertized structure itself, but you get what you paid for, and i do not trust sale 80%+ off retail prize is the good prize you paid for and they still make plenty profit out of sale :) , but guest blind buy is fun and deceived sometimes

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #1,391 of 1,858
sorry to hear that, synergy is everything, i do normally open solder socket and treat inside out with contact enhaner stabilant 22 for all my cables (iem/hp/main) , and i concur this cable is not for all around, and sound too good with my Impact and Fourte, but not with Z1R/UM and others ,all test with Antelope Zodiac
note: i do stop over buy Chifi cables and more to other brands, Wagnus, PWA and EA may do the trick for your taste, most of my chifi collections is very similar with cut-off and smooth out freq, maybe due to poor solder paste, or fake ends connectors, and/or all fake advertized structure itself, but you get what you paid for, and i do not trust sale 80%+ off retail prize is the good prize you paid for and they still make plenty profit out of sale :) , but guest blind buy is fun and deceived sometimes
I'm agree totally. Almost all Ali cables cannot be disassembled because connectors and plugs are glued. Also, I have not yet been able to find a stabilant 22 or equivalent outside of the EU, unfortunately. I hope after the war I can start resoldering my cables.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,392 of 1,858
I wonder what the final cost of the finished cable turned out to be?
It's about $130 as I went cheap with the plug ($14) and and splitter ($3, lol), plus the cost of my time (Warning: Hakugei cables are harder to solder than your normal wires).

Anyway, I will get 5m of another premium wires to make a 4 core (4 times the cost and again, it's shielded, so 8 core technically speaking) soon, and maybe try to make a 4 core version of the Gray Dragon. The 2 core version I made sounds so darn good and I expect heavenly sound if I make it 4 core. (but it will be really thick)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #1,393 of 1,858
It's about $130 as I went cheap with the plug ($14) and and splitter ($3, lol), plus the cost of my time (Warning: Hakugei cables are harder to solder than your normal wires).

Anyway, I will get 5m of another premium wires to make a 4 core (4 times the cost and again, it's shielded, so 8 core technically speaking) soon, and maybe try to make a 4 core version of the Gray Dragon. The 2 core version I made sounds so darn good and I expect heavenly sound if I make it 4 core. (but it will be really thick)
I'll be patiently waiting on you to sell your handmade cables, brother. This newest one is beautiful and once you feel comfortable, I'll be happy to support all your efforts!

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,394 of 1,858
Buy when Ali sale,
Today I see final price with all discounts - $91.93.
Time after time I return to your post and curiosity overcomes me. I have been looking for a cable for Dunu SA4 and still can't find it. SA4 has unusual sound as for full BA: very smooth, warm and quite dark, so every my cable makes some the smallest distortion, due to which the sound is a little cloudy and indistinct. But I'm looking for transparency and clarity.
With wich IEM did you try that cable?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,395 of 1,858
Today I see final price with all discounts - $91.93.
Time after time I return to your post and curiosity overcomes me. I have been looking for a cable for Dunu SA4 and still can't find it. SA4 has unusual sound as for full BA: very smooth, warm and quite dark, so every my cable makes some the smallest distortion, due to which the sound is a little cloudy and indistinct. But I'm looking for transparency and clarity.
With wich IEM did you try that cable?
i'm not snobe about cable or iem, i use to had variations of 4$ iems to 3000$ iems, and mostly gave away all cheap and/or sale, just keep few of them and slim down collections: iem/hp/and main with all DAP/desktop/main components with SS and specially tubes amp collections cost a crazy fortune
now: just keep : Impact/fourte/Z1r/Indigo and 7Hz, those $$-$$$ cables improve more from high technical ($$$) iem than med to low iem
just be honest 400-1500$ cables doesn't make yours mid tier sound like a premium top tier, like greenmood sound Niezt-Zero with Z1R (old technologie) and 7Hz , but can improve few characteristics that i'm looking to bring Impact to closely as possible as Bird and i'm happy with the sound i had now combo greenmood+Impact, for sure nothing is perfect but i enjoy what i had in hand is the most prior to me
cheap cables doesn't mean bad, or expensive cables doesn't sound good either, synergy is everything, i think greenmood is good with EST and BA drivers, not match with DD and planars
and maybe you find diff from my taste , all ears is diff and we hear diff from age to age , i cannot tolerate high peak treble (hot) at fews song anymore like before, hot and piercing treble is not enjoy anymore. And found all palladium/graphene from most of chifi smooth down alots of thing include treble and trade off is too much too at ballance end, pure silver/copper is very nice with DD and NON mix ( planars|DD or all Ba), and when iems MIX config. from duo/tri/quad (mix like spaghetti) , this pure pure cable lost theirs magic Then Chifi or highend market with those mix-mat'l will do magic, just find what match to your taste and you'll be reward well with bliss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back