Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #301 of 1,874
Well the idea of graphene. I mean who would have thought a carbon based material would have an effect on sound. I can tell they did a crap ton of R n D just to figure this one out. The reaction I am getting from the other threads are.

For reals? One guy just came out and asked if Beryllium is next. I was expecting that one.

As you know when something new goes public. People will be in disbelief. I was told these cables sell for higher in China. They are proud of this one. The workmanship is like all of their cables. Very premium but as far as I know Penon is the first to bring out a cable with graphene in it so it does show innovation in the cable realm. I can see these cables leading to a line of cables with the use of graphene. A silver based one perhaps. How about one with palladium alloy. I suppose all in due time.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #302 of 1,874
This maybe the first iem cable. I have not heard of another. Cerious Technologies has been making I/Cs, power cables and speaker cables for some time. I have a graphene power cable on my streamer and am contemplating one for my new regenerator. Very well constructed.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #303 of 1,874
Well the idea of graphene. I mean who would have thought a carbon based material would have an effect on sound. I can tell they did a crap ton of R n D just to figure this one out. The reaction I am getting from the other threads are.

For reals? One guy just came out and asked if Beryllium is next. I was expecting that one.

As you know when something new goes public. People will be in disbelief. I was told these cables sell for higher in China. They are proud of this one. The workmanship is like all of their cables. Very premium but as far as I know Penon is the first to bring out a cable with graphene in it so it does show innovation in the cable realm. I can see these cables leading to a line of cables with the use of graphene. A silver based one perhaps. How about one with palladium alloy. I suppose all in due time.
Well I for one, am looking forward to a beryllium infused cable, but for now that graphene is quite interesting. :wink: There are always gonna be doubters that either can't afford the new product or for that matter hear worth a crap, so I wouldn't worry about that man. I get the same crap, when I recommend a new tube. I know tubes like you know cables, so I know how it goes. Keep up the killer work! I am looking forward to hearing the OSG soon, and continue to be impressed with Penon.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #304 of 1,874
Agreed Leo Plus is a superb cable. That bang for buck thread is really for cables in the budget realm of cables. There are some truly great cables you can buy for dirt cheap now a days. I got a 4 core pure silver cable from NiceHCK for example that costs $20. It sounds every bit as good as more expensive silver cables.

This thread is for guys that want a step up from the budget finds on that thread. I would say OS849 is a very safe cable to get and is extremely versatile. That is a great cable for the money. I am just getting to know the new OSG and the price difference is pretty substantial from the OS849.

I can't say the OSG has the same type of value as the OS849 but it does seem to be catering toward more discriminating enthusiasts that want that distinction. I am going to get to know the OSG real well here and I will post my results soon. In the mean while if your in the need for another excellent cable I will say the OS849 you just can't go wrong with.

I haven't heard an earphone I have attached that cable to, that it didn't consistently provide excellent sonics for.

what's the OSG compared to the Leo Plus?

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #305 of 1,874
Good question. Leo Plus has its foundation based on silver which adds a nice uptick in resolution for your earphones. So it will be more dedicated for treble extension, stage and detail. Earphones with a fuller sound, warm tilt in tone will do exceptionally well with the Leo Plus. Leo plus is not recommended for neutral earphones with an already detailed treble end. Leo Plus is excellent at bass as well actually which is not too common for silver based cables.

OSG I feel is more versatile than the Leo Plus as its foundation is more SPC than Silver which is mostly made of Crystal copper. Sound separation is excellent on both cables but OSG kinda specializes in it. The OSG wont change the balancing on your earphones but they will separate the 3 zones of sound clearly and have a blacker space making room for aspects of the tuning to come through. On my Solaris, I went from the GS849 cable to the OSG and there was an immediate uptick in treble clarity, vocal clarity and bass authority. And the GS849 is not a weak sauce cable either. SPC cables are more versatile as it has elements of silver, copper and now in the OSG graphene. I think the Leo plus will win in treble extension but overall I would give the nod to the OSG for better versatility. It can be used on more than just warmer earphones the sound enhancements seem to be uniform for every earphone I have attached to it. Warm to neutral and everything in between .

I will do a more closer head to head comparison between these two cables when I get a chance but so far I am very impressed with the capabilities of Penons newest cable.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #306 of 1,874
DSC07444.JPG

So out of my own curiosity I went back n forth from the OS849 to the OSG something like 4X in a row and what I initially thought about the OSG being a super SPC cable was correct. I do notice a natural sound expansion in stage as well. With that sound expansion again the individual details from trebles to the bass end was clearly more separated on the OSG. Very similar tonality and emphasis on the sonics but the OSG clearly has a leg up on instrument separation from the OS849.

It is like going from a 2.1 channel to a 5.1 channel speaker set up. The best way to describe it.

So is getting some extra in the way of instrument separation and definition worth the price premium? That depends on if you feel this is the aspect of sound you want to enhance from your earphones. So basically the OSG will give similar emphasis on tone and sonics to the OS849 but that added sound separation makes a higher end earphone sound even more higher end if that makes sense.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #307 of 1,874
DSC07444.JPG

So out of my own curiosity I went back n forth from the OS849 to the OSG something like 4X in a row and what I initially thought about the OSG being a super SPC cable was correct. I do notice a natural sound expansion in stage as well. With that sound expansion again the individual details from trebles to the bass end was clearly more separated on the OSG. Very similar tonality and emphasis on the sonics but the OSG clearly has a leg up on instrument separation from the OS849.

It is like going from a 2.1 channel to a 5.1 channel speaker set up. The best way to describe it.

So is getting some extra in the way of instrument separation and definition worth the price premium? That depends on if you feel this is the aspect of sound you want to enhance from your earphones. So basically the OSG will give similar emphasis on tone and sonics to the OS849 but that added sound separation makes a higher end earphone sound even more higher end if that makes sense.

Do you think it would be a nice cable for the U12T ? I'm currently using the Leo Plus and love it even if it makes the sound brighter. The added space and separation is so nice. I was thinking of trying the CEMA's super copper with gold and silver plating but here comes the OSG...

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #309 of 1,874
Do you think it would be a nice cable for the U12T ? I'm currently using the Leo Plus and love it even if it makes the sound brighter. The added space and separation is so nice. I was thinking of trying the CEMA's super copper with gold and silver plating but here comes the OSG...

For the U12T I would try a UPOCC copper based cable. Be it CEMA and I suppose OSG would be a good option without turning the earphone to be more brighter than the Leo Plus. If you want to add a bit of warmth and retain the spacious sound UPOCC is a higher grade of copper that can do that for you and not add too much in the way of treble extension like the Leo Plus. Gold kinda limits staging a touch for some reason. Look on CEMA site for their UPOCC 8 core copper. Sometimes simple is better than going fancy. And certainly the OSG will be a good option in that it does have some silver in it to retain all the detail of the U12T.

I am looking for cable for andromeda 2020. I will Play it with ibasso dx160. Please provide your recommendation along with link to order.

Try a OS849 https://penonaudio.com/penon-os849.html

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #310 of 1,874
For the U12T I would try a UPOCC copper based cable. Be it CEMA and I suppose OSG would be a good option without turning the earphone to be more brighter than the Leo Plus. If you want to add a bit of warmth and retain the spacious sound UPOCC is a higher grade of copper that can do that for you and not add too much in the way of treble extension like the Leo Plus. Gold kinda limits staging a touch for some reason. Look on CEMA site for their UPOCC 8 core copper. Sometimes simple is better than going fancy. And certainly the OSG will be a good option in that it does have some silver in it to retain all the detail of the U12T.

Try a OS849 https://penonaudio.com/penon-os849.html

Thanks for the explanation and the suggestion. I already own the CEMA's 175. Isn't it an hybrid cable with UPOCC copper in it?

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #311 of 1,874
I suppose if you have the 175 which is half UPOCC. You can go for the OSG for something completely new. OSG will add that sound separation without brightening the sonics. Some might perceive treble to have more emphasis but upon careful listening. It is due to the distinction of the treble region as well as the other regions of the tuning that might seem like it but in reality the OSG cable does an awesome job at enhancing what earphones do best in their tuning emphasis by adding to it that distinct note presentation.

You might as well go for something different than what you have. 175 cable I like a lot but in the end wasn't so versatile for me. I think it leans more toward the silver aspect of tuning more so than the copper for some reason. It wasn't a good match for my Solaris as it sounded more leaner than I would have liked. I do use it on my Andro S though since it added that treble sparkle back to the sonics with stage.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #312 of 1,874
OSG cable is mostly copper based so bass authority is very good on this cable. Mids emphasis is highlighted and treble has even better clarity. Adds to these aspects a natural expansion of stage with a blacker background.

I am certain Penon pricing reflects on how they view these cables and how they rank among others. As I stated earlier due to the strengths of the cable I feel it will bring a higher end tuning even more higher end. Which is what some of you guys might be looking for.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #313 of 1,874
I came to realize that the U12T are kinda picky with cables. I haven't found one cable that enhance "everything". It comes at the price of sacrificing something. The Leo Plus is nice, but it removes some "weight" to the sound. I don't like the 175's effect on treble. The CEMA's super copper cable is nice but I feel like I miss some space in the stage.

Well, the search continues :sweat_smile:

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #314 of 1,874
Ya those earphones do seem a bit picky. My zeus was like that and in the end ISN CU4 tamed the upper registers where the tuning was more coherent for me adding some fullness to the sound in the process.

reason why I initially suggested UPOCC is it has that fullness of sound. And doesnt change up the tuning to a large degree. Can I ask you what type of cable came with your earphones. Might be a clue into the type of cable you should be looking at.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #315 of 1,874
They came with the "premium cable" from 64 Audio. I think it's a 4 cores SPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back