Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 3, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #1,336 of 1,924

Some DIY materials for this mid range cable because I think I can solder better. This is the Hakugei Gray Dragon (Wrong Translation I believe, it should have been called Green Dragon but well the cable is in gray anyway. The wire is 3.6mm dia. coaxial with cable centre core made of 6n copper and outer shielding made of gold silver palladium alloy. I am going cheap so I just bought some AEC connectors and I will use Mundorf Silvergold solder.
This cable is such a challenge for me to make...and it's finally here:
20230403_140904.jpg
The plug's inner cavity is super tight for the thickness of the cable and I consider a miracle that I actually managed to squeez two 3.6mm dia. cable inside a 6.5mm dia. plug with all the solder and UV glue (I had to use UV glue coz it's just impossible to fit a heat shrink tube with just 0.35mm wall thickness.)

The sound - honestly I have never heard something like this before, not with my other 50 cables. The background is super black the bass is super punchy and there's a lot of reverb with no piercing but sparkle-ly treble. The sparkles are rounded rather than being dry and there's a lot of information to be heard. Yes the sound is coloured and mostly in the bass in the way of being more bouncy and higher in quantity but very controlled.
20230403_142820.jpg

Syngergizes super well with songs like this.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,337 of 1,924
Yes the sound is coloured and mostly in the bass in the way of being more bouncy and higher in quantity but very controlled.
Is the tone more warmer?

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #1,339 of 1,924
No, not at all. It's the very revealing type and the treble is smoothed with all the extension you need.
Edit: and the stage is quite ridiculous.
Thank you. I guess resoldering increased SQ.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #1,341 of 1,924
New ISN cable!
$39.90

ISN Audio H8Plus 8 Strands OCC & Sliver-plated Mixed Braided HiFi Audiophile IEM Cable with 3-in-1 Modular Plugs

Description

Continuously optimize knitting methods, tightness and direction. Not only have the softness like skin, still reduce the mutual interference of conductor piece effectively, achieve stable sound.

The use of single crystal copper silver conductor, low frequency has a certain subduction, not paste appears stuffiness, elasticity is good, at the same time the texture and details of the intermediate frequency processing in place,

Audio signal transmission is highly lossless, making the high frequency more delicate sweet resolution power, strong sense of space.

Silver-plated and copper belong to precious metals. Silver has stable chemical properties and good thermal and electrical conductivity in metals.

Copper is a soft metal with good ductility. Enhance the low-frequency transient response, reduce the high-frequency burr, improve the resolution power significantly, full-voice reduction.

Specification

Brand:ISN Audio

Model: H8plus

Material: OCC & Sliver-plated Mixed Braided

Number of cores: 8 shares, single share is 19 cores, a total of 8 × 19.

Connector: MMCX/2pin 0.78mm

Plug:3-in-1 3.5mm audio/2.5mm/4.4mm modular gold-plated plug

Cable length: 1.2M

Package

ISN H8plus Cable

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h8plus.html

BA302AA8-7E2E-43E2-871A-7AC1885AF110.jpeg

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #1,342 of 1,924
Penon Vocal
HiFi Audiophile Earphone IEM Cable
Single crystal copper silver-plated plus gold foil wire
4 strands, each strand contains 60 cores
Carbon fiber + aluminum alloy accessories
MMCX/2Pin 0.78mm connector
3.5mm audio/2.5mm/4.4mm balanced

No price released as of yet, but they are dynamite with the ISN EST50!
DSC_0122.jpeg1212.jpeg

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,343 of 1,924
Apr 3, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,344 of 1,924
ISN H40 and Penon Vocal cable:

Taken from the ISN thread:
My Gosh, the H40 is insanity....pure insanity! So smooth and of an ambiance that enhances the lushness! In fact this lushness was always there with the H40 experience, yet now somehow it’s better heard?

I mean part of all this is I don’t maybe listen to the H40 enough, and I am slightly prejudice due to price? So the H40 always reminds me anyway of why it was the first and most successful ISN IEM. :)

But to get back to the sound demo, the midrange is now more forward yet due to the exact tune the H40 always has vocals which are not grainy or too much. They are amazingly clear, clear and positioned into a slight movement of forward into the stage. But the end result and what is the almost complete basis for the mini-demo is that they are HUGE, bigger than any IEM priced around or near the H40!

This HUGENESS is something and maybe not exactly what you buy the H40 for, but maybe it is? Remembering back to me review of the H40, the comparisons to the EST50 was that they had to pull back the total forwardness of soundstage in order to gain detail. So the EST50 gets its detail performance by stepping back and adding refinement of objects (better sculpted) into the stage.

Still there is a magic with the H40, and in-fact that magic is enhanced by the Penon Vocal cable! It’s (to me) literally perfect with the H40, and maybe even a little better than the EST50?

Priced at $69.00

DSC_0003.jpeg1313.jpeg

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,345 of 1,924
Thanks, I already have this one in fact.

Looking for some other options
One more cable with a dark sound:
GUCraftsman 6N Single Crystal Silver
This cable is not such v-shaped like XS CEMA. The sound is quite smooth with good clarity and transparency, but as for me the resolution is not the same excellent as XS CEMA has.

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,347 of 1,924
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,348 of 1,924
Nah, you can collect few cents of interest for fews week, i'm sure you'll get Greenmood next Ali sale event, because this cable sound and punch more than you think
Thanks @Meme123. The cable is currently $302 on aliexpress, too rich for my blood. What is the lowest sale price I should wait for and watch for before pulling the trigger?

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,349 of 1,924
Thanks @Meme123. The cable is currently $302 on aliexpress, too rich for my blood. What is the lowest sale price I should wait for and watch for before pulling the trigger?
Actually, the cable is near $100, if you apply all discounts:
Screenshot_20230404-210055.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,350 of 1,924
Actually, the cable is near $100, if you apply all discounts:
Screenshot_20230404-210055.jpg
Alas does not seem to work in the region where I live. Can get down the price to 167 €. In the last sale it could be had for 136 €. For 100 I would grab one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back