Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #76 of 1,873
If transparency and stage is your thing. Penon Leo Plus is a monster for that. Still my best cable to date. The difference between the Leo Plus and the AG8. Both will have great space and stage but the Leo Plus adds texture to the sonics other cables just cant do.

I forgot to add that Leo Plus does need a bit of burn in before sounding correct. They will have a brighter tinge to the sonics on open listen. Which eventually turn into crazy amounts of detail. Great cable.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #77 of 1,873
If transparency and stage is your thing. Penon Leo Plus is a monster for that. Still my best cable to date. The difference between the Leo Plus and the AG8. Both will have great space and stage but the Leo Plus adds texture to the sonics other cables just cant do.

I forgot to add that Leo Plus does need a bit of burn in before sounding correct. They will have a brighter tinge to the sonics on open listen. Which eventually turn into crazy amounts of detail. Great cable.
Mine arrives on Monday. I can’t wait to try it out!

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #78 of 1,873
I know the idea of cable burn in is trivial to a lot of guys and believe it or not I actually tested this. I got a fully burned in AG8 and and a brand new out of the box AG8
1587225538368.png

I used a JVC FDX1 to go back n forth and It was clear to me that well burned in AG8 over 200 hours was more spacious sounding. It is not night and day but the difference was there. Even I was skeptical until I did this head to head comparison. Just using your cable attached to your favorite IEMs will do the trick over time.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #79 of 1,873
I know the idea of cable burn in is trivial to a lot of guys and believe it or not I actually tested this. I got a fully burned in AG8 and and a brand new out of the box AG8
1587225538368.png
I used a JVC FDX1 to go back n forth and It was clear to me that well burned in AG8 over 200 hours was more spacious sounding. It is not night and day but the difference was there. Even I was skeptical until I did this head to head comparison. Just using your cable attached to your favorite IEMs will do the trick over time.
Agree...I DO believe in cable and transducer burn in. 30 years in audio...and I hear it with almost everything. My only wish is: why the *** can't the manufacturers burn them in before they ship them out to their paying customers.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #80 of 1,873
I did my research and narrowed down to two cables(8 cores version) from EAC, namely #170/171(CS series) and #175(MS series) for my incoming Thieaudio Legacy 3.
At first I was going to get the #175, since its mixed I thought it might be the most balanced. But I heard it made the mids recess in some cases.
Anyone knows if the #170/171 would be a better choice without missing out much on silver properties? Also going balanced 4.4mm.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #81 of 1,873

thanks. i was looking for this comparison.

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #83 of 1,873
Ord
I ordered a penon audio cable, I've been waiting for 10 days,
does anyone know how long this can take

cheers
Peter

Ordered Leo+ last Thursday, received dispatched notice and tracking no: from Penon on Friday. No movement till yesterday when I received an update from FedEx saying they estimate delivery for tomorrow. I'm based in the UK.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #85 of 1,873
Hi,

Same here, the cable is shipped but is stucked in Dubai?!

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #87 of 1,873
On the penon delivery page
-Delivery lead-time:

*North America: 7-14 days

*European Union: 7-21 days

*Russia and other European countries: 14-35 days

*South America 14-35 days

*Asia 7-21 days

*Africa 14-35 days

*Elsewhere: 14-45 days

In the current situation with a much higher frequency of packets, I think the deadlines can be longer

May 6, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #89 of 1,873
Just received the Penon Leo Plus and hooked it up my Hyla TE-5B instead of the good ol' cable 175. Here are my impressions after a quick listening session...

First thing I noticed was not the bass texture (what is "texture" by the way? :sweat_smile:) as @Dsnuts mentioned in his review... but the treble?! It sounds more refined... airy... natural and like it would expand to the end of the universe or beyond... well.. it sounds better and not fatiguing at all! :L3000:

Mids are relatively unchanged. Maybe a little better, but I didn't notice a huge improvement.

Bass... bass is bold, deep and it hits hard! The TE-5B already has a reputation for having one of the (if not THE) best bass in the IEM industry... and with the Penon Leo Plus it sounds even better. :sunglasses:

And now for the soundstage. It feels like width, height and depth are slightly improved. On some songs, cymbals sound as if they were coming from the other side of the room :astonished:

All in all, cables only bring the "icing on the cake" and the changes are never night and day. I guess it depends on the IEM you pair them with. Reading the @Dsnuts review, my expectations were high, but realist. I knew I would not be like having a brand new IEM in my ears, but I knew I would be able to notice some differences. And boy, those differences are there and are improvements over the cable 175.

Finally, I do believe in cable burn-in. It might sounds crazy but I will come back with my impressions after ~ 200h of burn-in.

May 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #90 of 1,873
How would you guys rate the Electro Acousti AKA 175 when it comes to microphonics?

I would say it's very good. I didn't notice a lot of microphonics. At least, not enough to bother me like the Alo Audio Ref8 for example. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back