Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,757 of 1,875
IMG_4083.jpeg

A very belated report on the NiceHCK GoldCrown, which I’m enjoying very much with the Penon Impact.

What I’m hearing here - very resolving, extended airy highs; natural, not particularly coloured mids. Sounds very wide and spacious. Really nice decay to notes. The Impact’s mids and EST highs are just superb here.

I’ve had this cable for some time. Not sure why I slept on it for so long. Oh yeah - MMCX. The cable is officially discontinued and was heavily discounted when I picked it up but they were out of 4.4mm 2-pin. So I have to use it with adapters on the Impact but it hasn’t stopped me from reaching for it all week.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #1,761 of 1,875
A cable review of the Penon ASOS+

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-asos-the-purple-plug-asos-cable.27109/reviews#review-33259

The Good:
Same ideas as the original ASOS, only added to with the Palladium ASOS+
Denser note-weight and added separation into imaging as appose to the original ASOS
Enhanced soundstage and midrange girth on every IEM tested
Slightly warmer, yet just a tad
Not the same as just putting a 3-in-1 modular Purple Plug on the original ASOS
Incredibly well rounded performer going with all IEMs and all DAPs
Gains timbre improvements with Hybrids from the original ASOS
Permanent non-removable plug (in your choice of 3.5mm or 4.4mm)
Purple Plug 4.4mm or 3.5mm
Purple Plug 2Pins in action
Supple and on the larger size, but low-weight side of the cable world
Reduced Microphonics
Gold platted hardware
Color coded 2Pins
Palladium Purple Plug and Palladium 2Pins
Slightly different cable wire formula from the original ASOS
Can come with or with-out ear-hooks

The Bad:
A little expensive at $215.00, yet it may be all you ever need?
DSC_0426.jpegw.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,763 of 1,875
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,764 of 1,875
My Dragon Scale2 on the way :)

How’s the Dragonscale 2? Did anyone else get it?

Frankly at this point I’m still enamoured of the GoldCrown and pretty much stunned by how resolving it is and the dimensionality and treble air that it is able to bring out in the Impact. To the extent I keep thinking of it when I’m not listening to it. So I’m open to taking a punt on another NiceHCK cable at the impending AE sale.

Anyone have experience of AuKing, RedGod or Wabizone or any of their other higher end offerings?

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,765 of 1,875
How’s the Dragonscale 2? Did anyone else get it?

Frankly at this point I’m still enamoured of the GoldCrown and pretty much stunned by how resolving it is and the dimensionality and treble air that it is able to bring out in the Impact. To the extent I keep thinking of it when I’m not listening to it. So I’m open to taking a punt on another NiceHCK cable at the impending AE sale.

Anyone have experience of AuKing, RedGod or Wabizone or any of their other higher end offerings?
I have bought a lot of Nicehck cables. I am most impressed with Dragonscale, it is a great cable, I am very likely to buy Dragonscale 2 as well. Auking on the other hand disappointed me, at a rather high price it loses out to both Dragonscale and AceOrfeus.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,766 of 1,875
I have bought a lot of Nicehck cables. I am most impressed with Dragonscale, it is a great cable, I am very likely to buy Dragonscale 2 as well. Auking on the other hand disappointed me, at a rather high price it loses out to both Dragonscale and AceOrfeus.

Thanks for the opinions. What did you dislike about AuKing compared to the other two, and did you get it with or without the OFC plug?

For instance, I personally hear more stage depth and treble extension with the GoldCrown than AceOrpheus, which sounds darker. GoldCrown is more resolving as well.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #1,767 of 1,875
Anyone aware of a cable that sounds like Effect Audio Code 24 (but obviously cost less)?
I got a recommendation from a friend, who says synergy is amazing between Penon Quattro and Code 24...

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #1,768 of 1,875
Anyone aware of a cable that sounds like Effect Audio Code 24 (but obviously cost less)?
I got a recommendation from a friend, who says synergy is amazing between Penon Quattro and Code 24...
My Code 23 in classifieds here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,769 of 1,875

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_220547_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240221_220547_Chrome.png
    369.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,770 of 1,875
Is there a decent ear hook that you can fit to cables without. I've seen a few that look cumbersome. Would a piece of shrink tubing or something work?
I bought a Campfire copper litz with mic. Seemed a good idea to have at least one cable I can use on phone calls if the situation comes up. And it was on sale at Marketplace. I didn't think I would miss the memory wire from the OEM smokey litz, but I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back