Mid-centric headphones besides Grado/Alessandro?
Feb 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 19
Okay folks, I've decided that on top of getting the HD598 (hopefully, ordered from Dakmart) I'll probably order a Grado RS2i as well, since I really do love the Grado sound. I did some calculations and just got my tax return in, and I'm perfectly able to afford both - even more so after selling all of my other open-back full-sized headphones, which will easily pay for the Grado and most, if not all, of the HD598s. I'm hoping that one will fill the other's shoes adequately enough so that I can return one and keep the other. My guess is that the RS2i would be the keeper of the two, due to my taste. Never know till I try them though!

My question to you folks is this: Get a new RS2i, or should I try to get a used RS1i? 200 dollar difference in new, and I'm still in the middle of doing research, but it looks like the RS2i is 90% of what the RS1i is, though some people, strangely enough, think they sound completely different altogether. The most common complaint is that the RS2 is a bit harsh on the treble. Considering that I don't find my MS2 or my K701 harsh on the treble, I don't think that'll be a problem. I just want some smooth up-front and warm mids.

Any ideas?

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 19
One that's very much ignored is the Koss Pro DJ100..yes, it's mid-centric (or close to it) despite being a DJ headphone.
Unlike the Grado's i've tried, it has very good sub-bass extension and overall much more bass. Less treble.

It's fairly well balanced, but does have forward mids, a slight bass hump and slightly rolled off treble.

People who like the mids of the 225i would like the DJ100.

I also find the HD-598 to have forward mids. The Q701 does too, but I would say less so than the 598.

I think the DJ100 and SR-225i have the most engaging mids i've ever heard in a headphone. The DJ100 is rather picky though with amp/dac/source.
Strangely enough it sounds best when I give it a ton of power.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 19
I briefly owned a RS2 and a MS-Pro. The MS-Pro had a low end presence and volume that was missing in the RS2. Since the MS-Pro is a modified version of the RS1 Id venture to say that this might apply to it as well. I myself found myself wanting more from the RS2's lows. But a very enjoyable headphone still.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 19
Interestingly, right after I placed my RS2i order on Amazon, I got a great trade+cash offer for my Alessandro MS2 from a member here. It'll cost me a total of about 350$ for an RS1 vintage B. Too good of a deal to pass up, so I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon order. Unfortunately, I cancelled it too late and was already charged the ~500 for the RS2i.. The seller of the RS1 is kind enough to wait for me to send back the RS2i and to wait for my refund to come back so I'll have the money free to buy his headphones. So.. I WILL be getting the RS1 from him, I just have to wait a week or two before I can do so. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. :D  - From everything I've heard, the RS1 is going to please me more than the RS2, and since I'm getting it for less I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with it.

Really curious to see how this HD598 works for me as well, but it hasn't been shipped yet. I'm hoping that ordering through Dakmart's amazon storefront wasn't a bad move. I'm kind of suspicious because they've already taken the money from my card but haven't sent the cans yet, and they've had 3-4 business days to do so. If I don't get it in by the 7th of March I'm calling Amazon to see if I can get a refund. Still, I'm hopeful that they will come in, as I think they could be not only great cans in their own right, but a great complimenting pair of headphones for my RS1, especially for gaming and watching movies/TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back