MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread.....
Sep 11, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 102

Why do you believe these are better caps? Temp range and are the specs that much different or your experience with them and results? I will be interested to see what resistors you come up with. 

If you read the manufacturer's specifications on each capacitor you'll note they have higher ripple rejection as well as a higher temperature rating and longer life than the caps used in the stock mZ2.

And we've tested them in several mZ2s we've upgraded
L3000.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 102

If you read the manufacturer's specifications on each capacitor you'll note they have higher ripple rejection as well as a higher temperature rating and longer life than the caps used in the stock mZ2.

And we've tested them in several mZ2s we've upgraded
L3000.gif

Great. I hadn't compared them side by side on the specs. How is the ESR? 

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #18 of 102

Great. I hadn't compared them side by side on the specs. How is the ESR? 

Go online and check out the specifications: everything is better.

To make this easier for some of you to understand, consider capacitance the same as the CCs of an automotive engine. Two engines can have the same CCs but one can have higher RPMs, higher torque, and more horse power.

That is how it is with capacitor values.

BTW, if any of you find even better caps that will fit in the mZ2 please share them with us. These were just the best caps we found from the electronics wholesalers we normally purchase from.

Keep in mind that the mZ2 gets quite hot inside and that you don't want to get too tall of a cap close to the tubes.

Also keep in mind that many so called audiophile caps are a fancy label and high price tag on a known commercial product.
Compare specifications not marketing
L3000.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #19 of 102
I have a good store of NOS Black Gate. I need to see what matches up. I also have a Syncore that I check actual ESR and uf on and I use it to form the caps. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 102
Anti-Resonant Treatment

As long as you have the PCB out of your mZ2, it would be a good time to do anti-resonant treatments.

As most mZ2 owners know, the mZ2 comes from the factory with basic rubber feet and a chassis that is protective, but not particularly heavy duty. That means there is room for improvement in the anti-resonant category. Anti-resonant treatments can be divided into three categories: chassis box, under chassis feet, and under PCB.

I'm sure you all have your personal favorites, and I've certainly not tried all of them, but the ones I'm about to describe are my personal favorites, and a bit on the extreme side (as if you couldn't have guessed). Please post your ideas and photos to give other H-F members a few options.

Now you may be asking yourself, "how much anti-resonant treatment do I need?"

Well that would depend on what you do with your mZ2, where you live, and what other anti-resonant products you use.

If you use your mZ2 as a preamp, play music at over 100db, and are a bit of a bass head, you could use all the help you could get.

If you only use your mZ2 with headphones, live out in the country, have a slab cement floor, and have expensive anti-resonant audio furniture, not so much.

If you live in an apartment in NYC that has squeaky wooden floors, and subways and trucks rattle your windows, even if you only use your mZ2 with headphones, some anti-resonant treatments would be noticeable.

I'm going to show you how to install these three products:

1. Anti-resonant adhesive sheeting.
2. Stillpoints PCB standoffs.
3. Stillpoints Ultra Mini feet.

There are several brands of anti-resonant sheeting. Most are like a thin layer of a gooey tar-like substance applied to a piece of heavy foil sheeting with a sticker backing material. One specification of concern with the mZ2 is thermal resistance (inside the mZ2 can get quite hot). For that reason I would recommend going to a local automotive sound install place and buying their best product. Likely they have packages with small quantities and the better automotive anti-res sheeting is engineered to withstand quite a bit of heat.

One small package that costs about $50 could do about five mZ2s, or you could do one mZ2 and a few other components you own. All the same principles apply.

Since we're doing these every week I made cardboard patterns, but if you're doing just one mZ2 you can simply follow the sizes outlined below and "draft" them onto the sheeting. Keep in mind that most of these products are rather gooey, so you may want to use a new razor knife just for this job, or use a pair of scissors that you don't particularly care about.

You'll need the following:

(1) 8.75" x 2.75" for the bottom
(2) 5.75" x 1.375" for the sides
(1) 6. 875 x 1.875" for the rear
(2) 8.75" x 1.375" for the front

The above measurements are maximum sizes. You're better cutting a bit smaller than a bit larger since this stuff is almost impossible to get off once applied. If you cover an edge, vent, or hole in the chassis you're going to have one heck of a time getting it off. And getting right up to the edges will not provide any higher-performance.

Below are my anti-res sheeting pieces cut.

Note there is one strip for above and one strip for below the switches, attenuator, and connector on the front panel.

Aside from cutting the pieces a bit smaller than a bit larger, be very careful when applying them. If you press them in wrong I have no idea how you're going to get them out
frown.gif

Below are photos of the anti-res sheeting applied. Note how all holes in the chassis are avoided.

Now you're ready for anti-res standoffs and feet. I chose the Stillpoints because I have them in stock for use with products we manufacture. There are some great values in anti-resonant feet and standoffs used in military and aerospace industries that can be purchased from industrial electronics and hardware vendors.

Just remember that both the standoff and the feet in the mZ2 chassis have a 6-32 thread and you should be OK no matter the brand.  

Note the thin 1/8" thick 1/4" span wrench sitting next to the Stillpoints Ultra Minis. There is not enough space between the Stillpoints and the chassis to use a normal 1/4" open end wrench. You could grind a spare wrench thin as we originally did. You could find a wrench like the one in the photo that is commonly included with KD furniture. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the official Stillpoints plastic wrench - they strip fairly easily if you put any amount of torque on them. 

Keep in mind that both the Stillpoints Ultra Minis and standoffs should spin freely and have a bit of wiggle to them. That is all part of their secret technology. This also means they are a bit of a PIA to install if you're not used to them.

For the Standoffs  I use model #10041, with a 6-32 male bottom and 6-32 female top. Since they spin, you need to attach them to the PCB first using the same 1/4" wrench to hold the hex in place while screwing in the stock mZ2 PCB mounting screws. Then you place the PCB into the chassis like a table, align with the threaded holes in the bottom, and tighten them in from the bottom using an Allen key. Start the threads on all four before attempting to tighten any of them.

Yea, Stillpoints may sound great, but they are a real PIA to install
angry_face.gif

The Ultra Minis are no easier to install. You need to carefully position the threaded shaft over the hole in the base of your chassis in perfect alignment. While holding the Ultra Mini in place with one hand you need to us the wrench to get a few threads caught using the wrench. In order to do this you need to hold the wrench up high aligned with the hex collar making sure to maintain proper alignment so as to not strip the threads. Once you have the threads started, it is fairly easy to keep the wrench positioned high and rotate until they are properly seated.
And you thought their standoffs were a PIA to install
L3000.gif

Make sure to align the threads perfectly before tightening and don't over-tighten the Ultra Minis or standoffs or you'll strip something.

So now you've seen what I've done to my mZ2...show us all your favorite mZ2 anti-res treatments
L3000.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 102
Hey everyone; surprised to see me in this thread? Often the changes we want to make are limited by a variety of factors, so here are a couple that could be helpful. 

With the introduction of the MZ2-S we've moved to thicker PCBs that have minimal flexing, but for the 200+ MicroZOTL2s out there with standard thickness boards, flex has always been an issue when changing tubes (though I'll mention here that we've had no failures reported caused by this board flexing). This is because David doesn't really design his boards to have the tubes rolled, especially not the Micro-ZOTL, which has surprised him with the seemingly endless potential its reintroduction has revealed. Also, Mark's economic case design for the MicroZOTL2 includes built-in standoffs, which saves on parts cost but are of a non-standard size. 

This flex has always bothered me and when I get some free time after work (or, you know, when I'm working after work and think "I shouldn't be working so much after work, I should work on work things that aren't directly work things") I've experimented with a few solutions for this flex. I finally came up with what turns out to be a very obvious solution. 

http://www.alliedelec.com/essentra-components-tcehcbs-8-01/70208930/

If you look search for the manufacturer's part#, you can find other sources for this nylon edge-mount standoff. Making sure it's nylon is important, because the built in standoffs are just less than 1/4", so you'll have to cut these down to size. You'll want to make the cut bottom as even as possible, because you're going to need to use a strong plastic-to-metal adhesive to mount these to the bottom of the case. I recommend at least two on each side of the board, basically positioned to support the 6SN7 socket. You could also put some on the front edge of the board - I imagine the more you put, the stronger it will be, as the flexing of the board affects the entire board each time. I'd also suggest glueing and securing each one individually, to make sure you get the best adhesion. 

Note: I did not thoroughly test this, but initial tests were very promising and the materials are quite cheap. 

If you're adding the standoff upgrades detailed by Ben, I'm sure there's some version of this you could do, but I don't know, and it may degrade the upgrade's effectiveness. 

A second thing. if fairly obvious as well: if you want to use larger, especially wider feet, but don't want them sticking out the side, and you're taking the PCB out, you can use a screw and nut to mount the feet through the ventilation holes - just be sure that the nut is quite thin, as the standard PCB height is just under 1/4" above the floor of the case. The ventilation holes are not going to give you perfect evenness front-to-back and side-to-side, but I imagine that if you're wanting centimeter-specific foot placement you're going to be using detached feet already. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #22 of 102
Thin PCBs on Early mZ2s - Repairing Torn Traces

I have to agree with Will on the potential problems with the thin PCBs on early mZ2s to flex and tearing the copper traces: we've experienced a few from customers that sent them in to upgrade.

His ideas for putting supporting stand offs are good, though some are easier than others.

For example, over the years I've found it quite hard to cut down a nylon standoff and make it flat and even: sanding nylon standoffs down or cutting the mass length off and sanding the bottom flat with an electric sander has worked better for me. A rotary tool can be quite handy for this, especially since most of you don't have belt sanders.

I also like Will's recommendation to use the vent holes in the bottom to mount standoffs. You can get "female - female" nylon standoffs that would be flat on both ends. Put a screw through a vent hole in the bottom, put a locking "star" washer inside the mZ2 chassis around the exposed screw, and mount the nylon standoff to the screw.

The heights of these nylon standoffs should be fairly close to exact: remember that upward pressure from a supporting standoff could tear a copper trace just as easily as downward pressure from inserting a tube
eek.gif

You can also purchase different height standoffs and get a precise height by using slightly longer screws and putting spacer washers between the standoff and the mZ2 chassis.

Make sure only the non-conductive nylon is touching the bottom of the PCB so nothing gets shorted out.

On the other hand, I've owned my personal mZ2 for well over a year now, done quite a bit of tube rolling, and I've not had a problem.

Lucky...careful...who knows.

A few tips to avoid tearing copper traces when inserting tubes:

1. When inserting tubes do not use excessive downward force - just the minimum required.
2. If the PCB flexes more when inserting a specific tube whose pins fit tighter than most, don't force it.
3. Before insertion, clean the pins on your tubes and apply a contact enhancer/lubricant, such as Caig Gold.

FYI, much to my surprise, Caig product are used by the US military to clean/enhance contact on their PCBs. Several of the guys I went to EE school with confirmed they used Caig products on boards from targeting/guidance systems they worked on. That speaks volumes. I also have several customers with high-end systems that swear by Caig products as "the real deal" for cleaning and enhancing the contacts on all their connectors and tube sockets - they treat their entire system a few times a year.

Below are some photos that have to do with over-flexed PCBs, one potential problem, and the DIY solution.

This first board is Dr. Blue's. He had an issue with his mZ2 shortly after he got it, but we didn't even realize what it was until it brought it to me for upgrading. Note the "swelled" and "burned" capacitor. The copper trace on his PCB was intermittently contacting and blew this PSU cap. Not being able to visually see a problem, I replaced the cap, it seemed to work fine for about a month, but then the same cap blew again. That is when we realized there was an intermittent contact issue.

I didn't take a photo of Dr. Blue's repaired PCB, but below is a photo of a PCB with intentional jumpers done by LTA. When a customer sent it to us for upgrading we spotted it immediately. This is done by many manufacturers to efficiently connect different parts of the PCB rather than adding a 3rd layer of copper to the entire board.

Doing a repair of a torn copper trace would look quite similar, with insulation assuring the jumper can't sort through the thin painted green mask to another trace below.

A few tips for a DIY repair should your LTA warranty be expired:

1. Carefully scrape off 1/4" of the green masking cover over the copper one both sides of the tear (rotary tool).
2. Tin the exposed copper with solder.
3. Solder a jumper wire to the tinned "pads" over the torn copper trace.

Note: you can also solder to an existing pad or pin at one end.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #23 of 102
Just to clarify, the point-to-point on the underside of the board is not reworking of mistakes, it is part of David Berning's own design. You'll find the same wiring on all MicroZOTL2 boards, though it won't all look identical, as certain techniques have changed since the earliest MicroZOTL2s were built and different people built them before our current team settled in (approaching a year behind those soldering irons!). David selectively point-to-points certain connections, which you'll find in larger amounts in his more expensive amplifiers. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 102
Just shipped off my MZ2 to Ben today for the "Extreme" upgrades along with the Illuminati. I'm super stoked to hear what it will sound like when I get it back!

When this amp was first introduced I wanted to purchase right away , two of the dealers declined shipping into Canada so I moved on and bought something else ,..Well I'll have to try again ,.Look forward to reading about your modified amp ,.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #25 of 102
Just shipped off my MZ2 to Ben today for the "Extreme" upgrades along with the Illuminati. I'm super stoked to hear what it will sound like when I get it back!

When this amp was first introduced I wanted to purchase right away , two of the dealers declined shipping into Canada so I moved on and bought something else ,..Well I'll have to try again ,.Look forward to reading about your modified amp ,.

I purchased from a Canadian dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #26 of 102

Unrelated to this thread, but I suppose anything to help with acquisition of the original MicroZOTL2 amplifier could be considered related. In case you weren't aware of this link, and how to find your Canadian dealer:

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/wheretobuy/

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #28 of 102
Unrelated to this thread, but I suppose anything to help with acquisition of the original MicroZOTL2 amplifier could be considered related. In case you weren't aware of this link, and how to find your Canadian dealer:

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/wheretobuy/

Thanks for the info however at the time there weren't any dealers in Canada nor anywhere else other then the US unfortunately I don't know what the issue is for them not wanting to sell me the amp having purchased other components from dealers in the US at many times the price of this Berning amp , oh well business must be good to turn down a sale ,..Ill have to order one and join in the group ,...

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 102
Thanks for the info however at the time there weren't any dealers in Canada nor anywhere else other then the US unfortunately I don't know what the issue is for them not wanting to sell me the amp having purchased other components from dealers in the US at many times the price of this Berning amp , oh well business must be good to turn down a sale ,..Ill have to order one and join in the group ,...

Prediction: You won't regret getting an MZ 2. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back