MicroZOTL
Oct 10, 2001 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RGA

100+ Head-Fier
I have been seeing this amp mentioned a fair bit...what is it? How much does it go for in US or CDN funds? Anyone have a site or pictures or reviews?

Thanks.

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 12
What kind of volume pot does the MicroZOTL use?

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 12
this pic shows outputs for speakers - meaning it isn't a dedicated headphone amp. does this at all effect it's headphone performance since all the R&D for it didn't go into cans listening?

microz4a.jpg

also, does anyone have an experience with it w/ speakers?

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 12
This must be the ugliest amplifier on this planet. I mean c'mon...I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover...but Blue, Red and Dark Brown? ICK.

It may sound fantastic but you'll get ill from it's appearance
biggrin.gif

Just kidding...it looks well built
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 12
It is practically a dedicated headphone amp. Its a dedicated personal amplifier. It will power highly efficient speakers, or work with headphones.

On the otherhand, a power/integrated amp or receiver that has a jack is just usually the speaker outputs with some added resistors.

The definition of "dedicated" headphone amp...is basically something that is much better than an "afterthought" headphone amp.

A minisystem has an amp that powers speakers and probably sports a headphone jack as well. I would imagine there are quite some differences on why the ZOTL still qualifies as a great dedicated headphone amp, while the typical minisystem qualifies as crap.

Oct 10, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 12
The ZOTL's speaker outputs and headphone outputs are connected together and thus are electrically identical. I use the speaker outputs on mine to hook up a second headphone, as there is only one headphone jack. It puts out about 1 watt at 8 ohms, but much less power at the higher impedances that headphones have. It drives the Sennheiser HD600 very nicely. The casework is not fancy but the parts quality is excellent.

Oct 10, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 12
Let's face it ... red, blue or black the thing still looks like it should be in the kitchen toasting bread rather than beside your CD player. BUT! It sounds soooo sweet
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

This must be the ugliest amplifier on this planet.

I gotta admit -- it's definitely the ugliest amp I've ever seen. Good thing it sounds good, or it would be in trouble
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Here's the other side of the ZOTL setting next to some other amps. The camera flash overly highlights the view of the insides, but on the other hand gives you a better idea of what is inside.
BAH3_eqpmt.JPG-link.jpg

This was taken at the last Bay Area meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back