microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,096 of 1,191
So running the MZ3 as a power amp? That’s an interesting thought. Why that route and not running your DAC at full output?

Yes, this would amount to running the MZ3 like a power amp.

As to why: I have a lot of faith on my DAC when it comes to volume control. It's a high-end DAC (3 times the price of MZ3). When I used it with another amp previously, I found that doing volume control on the DAC sounded better than using the amp's potentiometer.

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,097 of 1,191
So running the MZ3 as a power amp? That’s an interesting thought. Why that route and not running your DAC at full output?
I can give an perspective if not exactly in voltage/gain terms, I have the MICROZOTL PREAMPLIFIER with level 2 upgrades, DAC is SMSL SU-9n using balanced inputs, The RCA inputs the difference is ~10 to 15 more turns on the Mztl. Beyer Dt 770 pro at 32 Ohms is the headphone.

I used Su-9n in variable pre-map mode to use the built in volume control and have Mztl at Max - 100 volume, my Dac is at 25 out of 99 in volume control for my listening level, 5 more will be ok but may be e quite a bit louder.

For Su9n in Fixed Pre out mode, the DAC volume control is disabled at max of 99, my Mztl is at 35 volume level.

I don't hear any difference in either mode, but my Mztl volume control is better quality than the Su9n so I go for fixed pre mode on my DAC.

Its probably not apple to apple comparison but hopefully helpful..

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,098 of 1,191
Can someone shed light on how the 0 dB / -15 dB / -30 dB gain options work on the MZ3, for a fixed input tube (say 12AT7)?
This feature only added to MZ3 later model, i believed in the early 2022 or late 2021. It uses for sensitive headphones and speakers.

New: Updated Volume Control w/ Adjustable Gain & “Hi-Res” Settings

Now shipping in all unit is our new 8-bit volume control, which gives you 128dB of total attenuation via 100 individual steps. We use precision thin film Nichrome resistors with low thermal noise and ceramic circuit boards with low dialectric content for the highest level of clarity and transparency.
For the ultimate in control, you can activate the “Hi-Res” setting in the menu system, which offers 199 steps to dial in exactly the volume level that works best for you.
We’ve also added the ability to adjust the gain via the menu system. This adjusts the volume level to allow for finer low-level attenuation when using sensitive speakers or headphones. There are three settings: 0db (default), -15db, and -30dB.

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #1,099 of 1,191
It just occurred to me yesterday to use the -15dB gain option to run a sensitive IEM with the MZ3. I had tried an IEM before without the gain adjustment and the hiss was distracting. Gave up, moved on, it wasn’t a real use case anyway. I had just left my dongle at work that day and was being impatient wanting to try a new toy. Fast forward to yesterday and a little gain adjust made the hiss go away.

This should have been completely obvious. I guess I’m a little slow sometimes. At least now I know it’s an option. Better late than never.

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #1,100 of 1,191
Hi All
For those interested in such things, I recently recable my entire system, wall to speakers, with Nordost Heimdall 2. The gains in palpability and tonal mass, dynamic expression, soundstage depth and engagement have been startling. I very much prefer it to the loom of Cardas Clear I was using prior.
Power, Ethernet, USB, digital coax, analogue interconnects and speaker cables. Really brilliant improvements for me. Convincing enough to start saving for the power strip and plug-in conditioners.

I mention this because it seems the MZ3 has welcomed the extra detail, colour and power it can now send out to the amp or headphones. What an amazing piece of kit.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,101 of 1,191
See the classified adverts.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,103 of 1,191
With the Abyss 1266 I enjoyed the MZ3. I listen to vocals and pop which don't have huge dynamic swings and listen in the 80db range. But felt I was lacking in the midrange body - thought it was mostly the 1266 character. I was debating selling the abyss 1266 because I loved the MZ3; but took a gamble on the Z10 (See headfi post) and absolutely love it. I didn't realize how much I was missing: Full body midrange, music just flows effortless - plus its even more detailed, but natural. And this is still listening at 80db.

But it is a jump in price ($1,000 diff MSRP) + 10 tubes to roll vs. 4. Again I took a gamble on a used Z10. Loved it so much, I sent it back to LTA to get it updated + car wash. It should be back next week.

That said, I think the MZ3 looks soooo much better than the Z10. I wish they had kept the design language of the tubes popping out. +1 for big tubes :)
Have you heard the 1266 Phi TC with the Z10 and holo May KTE? I'm curious as to how that setup sounds and if I should just go for that or just save up a few more months for an Aperio.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,104 of 1,191
Have you heard the 1266 Phi TC with the Z10 and holo May KTE? I'm curious as to how that setup sounds and if I should just go for that or just save up a few more months for an Aperio.
The Z10e has a surprising amount of power and works well with the original HE6, TC or anything else I have tried. Excellent dynamics and bass, and then the rest is all there as well, with aplomb. I first heard the TC on the MZ3 and really enjoyed the soundstage and overall presentation, which is why I got the TC.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,105 of 1,191
Does anyone have an opinion on the pairing of the Sennheiser HD800S with the MZ3?

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,106 of 1,191
Does anyone have an opinion on the pairing of the Sennheiser HD800S with the MZ3?
I was thinking about adding HD800S to the collection earlier this year, but then I heard them at CanJam London and was left feeling distinctly underwhelmed. Although source and amplification could have been part of the issue...

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,107 of 1,191
I do not have HD800S, but i do have HD800XX modded. At the last meet in Fairfax, several people preferred the modded HD800XX over the HD800s. They said the HD800s a bit warmer and the HD800XX is more neutral.

MZ3 drives the HD800XX beautifully, with warm vocal and the mid is very neutral. Out of the 3 amps, DNA Sonett2 , MZ3 and WA 22. I prefer DNA Sonett2(A+) and it is a tossing between MZ3 (A) and Woo WA22(A).
PXL_20231109_143535773 (2).jpg

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,108 of 1,191
I do not have HD800S, but i do have HD800XX modded. At the last meet in Fairfax, several people preferred the modded HD800XX over the HD800s. They said the HD800s a bit warmer and the HD800XX is more neutral.

MZ3 drives the HD800XX beautifully, with warm vocal and the mid is very neutral. Out of the 3 amps, DNA Sonett2 , MZ3 and WA 22. I prefer DNA Sonett2(A+) and it is a tossing between MZ3 (A) and Woo WA22(A).PXL_20231109_143535773 (2).jpg
What is the mod? Is it something that people typically undertake themselves, or send them away for?

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,109 of 1,191
What is the mod? Is it something that people typically undertake themselves, or send them away for?
Hi John, It is a DIY mod. There are 3 stickers inside the earpad, 2 shorts and 1 long. It depends on your hearing, some people removed 1, 2 or all stickers. For me, i only removed the longest one.

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,110 of 1,191
Hi John, It is a DIY mod. There are 3 stickers inside the earpad, 2 shorts and 1 long. It depends on your hearing, some people removed 1, 2 or all stickers. For me, i only removed the longest one.
Thank you! 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back