Linear Audio Tube (LTA) Z10 Integrated / Headphone Amplifier!!
Feb 17, 2023 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hk29

100+ Head-Fier
I didn’t see a dedicated thread for the LTA Z10. I think it deserves one but I also realize that not many folks here will have an opportunity to hear or to own one. I hope this isn’t short lived, but also provides a reference for future potential buyers - Yes its worth it :)

Background
Music preference: Mainstream vocals pop and indie (sometimes EDM); Not a lot of Jazz, classical, country

Audio equipment chain: Qobuz -> iPad Pro via USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil A1 / Unison -> LTA Z10 -> AByss 1266 TC + stock cables

Previously: Xduoo MT604, Eufonika H7 OTL, Burson 3XP, Schiit mjolnir 2

LTA MZ3
Wait you said Z10? I know just wait for it :) I got the LTA MZ3 because I absolutely adore its looks and prefer the sound of Tubes. I took the plunge to see what was the deal with highend amps and ZOTLs. I also figured the MZ3 is a great preamp to a stereo setup if I ever upgraded.

w1nZeOMzBk6o4w9-o3C_8V4i2cyjQSf-7iljL1agBSbQEIfVTyMpM_f2LEdlR4qCnVQfhiO4AWmwSUOVuEmN_xDpbMx9COJDfM3NeVyRWDpexiB7oHmHDWFkc2KDwA9DrChS8qTIqSEpWv1XQsGuQuI

Sooo beautiful! It's perfect

Its everything you read about. Its 3D holographic, tube "magic, sweetness", detailed and clear. Its musical and has PRAT. With the Abyss 1266, I felt it was “good enough” despite it being "lower powered" - teaser Z10 is more suited for 1266! It sounds natural. The MJ2 sounded harsh and "forced". The tube felt like an after thought - still great for its price; the MZ3 is significantly more natural, organic, and refined. If you're looking for a detailed, spacious with sweetness to the sound you can't go wrong. Read more at: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/microzotl-3-by-linear-tube-audio-true-high-end-audio.895908/

LTA Z10
I found a used LTZ Z10 on the market so I jumped on it. I wondered what more power would do. With the Z10 compared to the MZ3, three key differences for me which I was trying to understand the impact on the sound:
  • More power
  • Different tubes: 12sn7/6sn7 = 12AT7/12AU7 -> EL84, 12AT7, 12AU7
  • Class A -> Class AB

jAJfRmxnFxUsGAmJg_-Tk3VMH8HibMishzuyEiQoDpQQXeCXRkuIvY9NsnDDLYEYZGywDX7Ja5TkmK7YbyGh1EHmvst3UicwI7AVkKrDmvhEIeAqm5XGz5uG77Yn3FPprCKleQyzf-TgAdbrF8MV2TM

I know LTA is bigger than the yggy! I know I need a rack!

What I noticed between the MZ3 -> L10:
  • More details / microplankton
  • Midrange is a bit more forward and fuller bodied
  • More solid clean image - even when getting louder or more complex
  • Effortless
AND as a common cliche, you really hear and feel the singers are in the room. If you felt the MZ3 was like that, you have to hear the Z10. It just feels so natural and effortless. I didn't think I could hear more details but yet sound so smooth and natural - thought it was a tradeoff between the two.

The Z10 has really filled in the midrange of the 1266 – it really has synergized really well. I’ve read very few reviews of the 1266 + Z10 which also supports my perspective (some preferring the Z10 > WA33 wow!).

I don’t have a desire to tube roll yet as the ones in there are really nice; not to mention tube rolling on the Z10 (10 tube) is a lot more expensive than the MZ3 (4 tubes) - and you realize that 12sn7/6sn7 tubes are still reasonable 🙂. This is a pro for the MZ3!!

I still miss the MZ3 - it is a great unit. You can't go wrong!

LTA the company
I’ve reached out to them twice about MZ3 and Z10 both of which I purchased used; and they responded FAST with informational responses. They are no doubt an outstanding company that backs up their product. Thank you Nicholas!

Outtro
I think the Z10 is astonishing and has really upped my listening experience. I highly recommend LTA MZ3 and Z10 if you desire a clean sweet natural balanced 3D holographic detailed sound signature. If you’re looking for pure tuby sound, look elsewhere, otherwise all others apply!

I do recommend the Z10 > MZ3 if you have power hungry headphones. The MZ3 will keep you happy for a while, but you’ll yearn for more. I think the $1200 MSRP difference is well in line or above the dimensioning returns curve. I can’t see how spending $1200 in other ways could improve the listening pleasure if you already have a solid audio chain.

I can’t say much about the Z10 for speakers yet as I haven’t done a lot of critical listening - too busy with the 1266 🙂

I wish all of you to have a chance to listen to a LTA headphone amp to make up your minds, if not specifically the Abyss 1266 and the LTA Z10. If you budget allows, you should give them a try along your audiophile journey. Happy hunting - It is amazing ...

Any others have one? Impressions? Tube rolling experiences?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 17
LTA's claim to fame is actually their preamp. It just so happens that good preamp also makes great headphone amp and vice versa. Their integrated is also great if you are careful with your speaker selection.

I demoed their LTA Z40+ and Gibbon Super Nine - yeah that's (insert expletives) music!

Does the current tube crisis make you nervous about owning tube gear?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 17
Z10 as a preamp

Z10 can't be run as a preamp. That is one of the downsides from the mz3 which had two preouts! With 12w 8ohms it's perfectly fine to me for casual listening, but this is going to be for my headphones. You have to look at the preamp or other integrated. The mz3 is supposed to be a top notch preamp.

Does the current tube crisis make you nervous about owning tube gear?

Not really, there seems to be a good supply on ebay and sorts. I just stock up when I see a decent deal. I don't go crazy. They are getting more expensive but that's the price for loving tubes. It's part of the fun. And just need to budget for it. Anyhow, I still prefer "crappy" cheap new stock tubes in a tube amp vs solid state amp :). Of course, NOS (or vintage) sound more smoother and holographic and that special magic?? Tubes in the LTA are supposed to last a lifetime which is a huge benefit. HUGE BENEFIT. you might have to pay for admission :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 17
Z10 can't be run as a preamp. That is one of the downsides from the mz3 which had two preouts! With 12w 8ohms it's perfectly fine to me for casual listening, but this is going to be for my headphones. You have to look at the preamp or other integrated. The mz3 is supposed to be a top notch preamp.
I reached out to LTA and they said the following:
"the subwoofer output can be used as a preamp output, since it's a buffered, full-frequency output. That said, it's a very simple circuit and will not match the sonics of our MicroZOTL line of preamps. In addition, there's quite a lot of overhead when using it just as a preamp, since you're running 10 tubes but only using two of them when using it this way.

Overall, we see this as a nice feature to have as a backup, but not something we would recommend people using the Z10 for in their system for the long-term. This is why we don't talk about it on our website or manual."

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 17
I didn’t see a dedicated thread for the LTA Z10. I think it deserves one but I also realize that not many folks here will have an opportunity to hear or to own one. I hope this isn’t short lived, but also provides a reference for future potential buyers - Yes its worth it :)

Background
Music preference: Mainstream vocals pop and indie (sometimes EDM); Not a lot of Jazz, classical, country

Audio equipment chain: Qobuz -> iPad Pro via USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil A1 / Unison -> LTA Z10 -> AByss 1266 TC + stock cables

Previously: Xduoo MT604, Eufonika H7 OTL, Burson 3XP, Schiit mjolnir 2

LTA MZ3
Wait you said Z10? I know just wait for it :) I got the LTA MZ3 because I absolutely adore its looks and prefer the sound of Tubes. I took the plunge to see what was the deal with highend amps and ZOTLs. I also figured the MZ3 is a great preamp to a stereo setup if I ever upgraded.

w1nZeOMzBk6o4w9-o3C_8V4i2cyjQSf-7iljL1agBSbQEIfVTyMpM_f2LEdlR4qCnVQfhiO4AWmwSUOVuEmN_xDpbMx9COJDfM3NeVyRWDpexiB7oHmHDWFkc2KDwA9DrChS8qTIqSEpWv1XQsGuQuI

Sooo beautiful! It's perfect

Its everything you read about. Its 3D holographic, tube "magic, sweetness", detailed and clear. Its musical and has PRAT. With the Abyss 1266, I felt it was “good enough” despite it being "lower powered" - teaser Z10 is more suited for 1266! It sounds natural. The MJ2 sounded harsh and "forced". The tube felt like an after thought - still great for its price; the MZ3 is significantly more natural, organic, and refined. If you're looking for a detailed, spacious with sweetness to the sound you can't go wrong. Read more at: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/microzotl-3-by-linear-tube-audio-true-high-end-audio.895908/

LTA Z10
I found a used LTZ Z10 on the market so I jumped on it. I wondered what more power would do. With the Z10 compared to the MZ3, three key differences for me which I was trying to understand the impact on the sound:
  • More power
  • Different tubes: 12sn7/6sn7 = 12AT7/12AU7 -> EL84, 12AT7, 12AU7
  • Class A -> Class AB

jAJfRmxnFxUsGAmJg_-Tk3VMH8HibMishzuyEiQoDpQQXeCXRkuIvY9NsnDDLYEYZGywDX7Ja5TkmK7YbyGh1EHmvst3UicwI7AVkKrDmvhEIeAqm5XGz5uG77Yn3FPprCKleQyzf-TgAdbrF8MV2TM

I know LTA is bigger than the yggy! I know I need a rack!

What I noticed between the MZ3 -> L10:
  • More details / microplankton
  • Midrange is a bit more forward and fuller bodied
  • More solid clean image - even when getting louder or more complex
  • Effortless
AND as a common cliche, you really hear and feel the singers are in the room. If you felt the MZ3 was like that, you have to hear the Z10. It just feels so natural and effortless. I didn't think I could hear more details but yet sound so smooth and natural - thought it was a tradeoff between the two.

The Z10 has really filled in the midrange of the 1266 – it really has synergized really well. I’ve read very few reviews of the 1266 + Z10 which also supports my perspective (some preferring the Z10 > WA33 wow!).

I don’t have a desire to tube roll yet as the ones in there are really nice; not to mention tube rolling on the Z10 (10 tube) is a lot more expensive than the MZ3 (4 tubes) - and you realize that 12sn7/6sn7 tubes are still reasonable 🙂. This is a pro for the MZ3!!

I still miss the MZ3 - it is a great unit. You can't go wrong!

LTA the company
I’ve reached out to them twice about MZ3 and Z10 both of which I purchased used; and they responded FAST with informational responses. They are no doubt an outstanding company that backs up their product. Thank you Nicholas!

Outtro
I think the Z10 is astonishing and has really upped my listening experience. I highly recommend LTA MZ3 and Z10 if you desire a clean sweet natural balanced 3D holographic detailed sound signature. If you’re looking for pure tuby sound, look elsewhere, otherwise all others apply!

I do recommend the Z10 > MZ3 if you have power hungry headphones. The MZ3 will keep you happy for a while, but you’ll yearn for more. I think the $1200 MSRP difference is well in line or above the dimensioning returns curve. I can’t see how spending $1200 in other ways could improve the listening pleasure if you already have a solid audio chain.

I can’t say much about the Z10 for speakers yet as I haven’t done a lot of critical listening - too busy with the 1266 🙂

I wish all of you to have a chance to listen to a LTA headphone amp to make up your minds, if not specifically the Abyss 1266 and the LTA Z10. If you budget allows, you should give them a try along your audiophile journey. Happy hunting - It is amazing ...

Any others have one? Impressions? Tube rolling experiences?

You've just done what I'm about to do - brilliant timing. Did you try other headphones?

Which tubes are in your Z10?

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Re: headphones
Unfortunately, I only have the abyss 1266 at the moment. I had previously zeroed it down from the ZMF Atrium, HE6SE, Grado RS2i, and Sennheiser 800, but never with the MZ3 or Z10. I think that is important to know that I've been seeking details with musicality (which is hard to define for me. If you forced me, I would say "natural"/organic).

Re: Tubes
I pulled the cover off, but I couldn't tell the tubes. I sent my unit to LTA to get the PS moved to an external case and they suggested a few upgrades and new tubes. I'll report back on what is in the unit, but it should be stock NOS tubes from LTA. Nicholas is great to work with - he's quick, knowledgeable, and helpful. The service cost and turn around is really fair and reasonable for a "high-end" company. I feel like I bought a BMW with a Toyota reliability and service :) Thank you!!

Re: Z10e
The Z10 and Z10e are the same with the exception of the electrostatic energizer confirmed by Nicholas. Here's a great posting on the Z10 in that forum that substantiates my experience with the 1266 : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hav...io-z10e-amplifier.905705/page-5#post-16524274. You could also search there to see other non-electrostatic hp experiences.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 17
Nicholas confirmed the tubes in my app:
  • 2pcs - BEL ECC82 - Preamp
  • 2pcs - Mullard M8162/CV4024 - Input Stage
  • 2pcs - Sylvania 6189 - Phase Splitter
  • 4pcs - Reflektor 6P14P-EV - Power Output
Whew - that 10 tubes.
Wow!!!!!

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Glad they're supposed to last a "lifetime" 10,000-20,000 hour. At 10,000, 1 hr per day = 27 years. But really?!? It sounds wonderful that I don't even think about it. Its worth it for me.
Honestly, as happy as I am with the MZ3, I have a twinge of Z10 envy! :wink: :flushed:

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 17
when driving 1266tc or susvara, will using the speaker output make a difference? Or is it basically the same as using the high power hp output?
The power is the same; just use SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back