Microsoft Vista
Jan 1, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 58
I'll be phasing Vista into my rendering CPUs for my 3D work. It's supposed to improve rendering times because of better multithreading and support for up to 128 GB of RAM (where XP pro is limited to 2 to 3 GB). But I'm going to wait a little bit for security patches to come out
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im gonna get a 24" ezio lcd monitor in 20 hours!! shld i wait???? since it doesnt have the chip inside

I nv watch dvds on my computer and i dont play games. will that affect me if i buy the monitor without the chip?

There's no reason to wait for that reason alone unless you want to watch HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movies at full resolution on your computer. Seeing as how you say you never watch DVDs I don't see you needing it. And even with a normal monitor and video card you can still watch the movies - there's just the possibility that it will downscale the video so as to not be true HD.

And note that you'd also need an HDCP enabled video card for true digital HD playback anyhow, so it's not just a matter of waiting and getting a different monitor.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other then the eye candy interface, I don't see any benefit of Vista over XP, yet. All these "security" enhancements are still need to be proven to be secure, while there are many proven 3rd party tools already developed for XP. After using Vista for a few weeks, I got an impression that it was more intended to be "dumb-proof" for its users, rather than for technical/professional use.

A couple of Linux friends of mine have already broken into a Vista machine...
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 58
I think he means the ability to store the bootable section of the OS on a USB drive to increase start up speed.

Intel and Microsoft have different way of implementing this. Microsoft is going for the USB drive aspect. Intel is going for a Flash memory on motherboard to store the bootable section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but its not ram... why use it that way?
real ram in sizes large enough to be "competitive" is available in FAST speeds at prices that are also decent.

if you need 4gb of ram, get a motherboard with 4 slots, and 4 1gb sticks...
if you dont, you are probably not going to notice that you dont even fill up the 512 on your computer, and that the extra slow 1gb you added isnt even being used.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by hongda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he means the ability to store the bootable section of the OS on a USB drive to increase start up speed.

Intel and Microsoft have different way of implementing this. Microsoft is going for the USB drive aspect. Intel is going for a Flash memory on motherboard to store the bootable section.

No, he literally means, the flash memory on your thumb drive, can act as ram.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand vista will use a usb thumb drive as ram...that's prety cool.

I love how everytime I talk to a Windows fanboy.. this is their comment.

*nix has been doing this for years.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #24 of 58
if Vista is going to have DRM... I'm going to back up all of my music to another HD before even connecting my current one. That is completely stupid.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if Vista is going to have DRM... I'm going to back up all of my music to another HD before even connecting my current one. That is completely stupid.

Why?
The DRM will not affect formats or playback of media that do not have DRM in the first place. As Kwisatz has been saying, this is mainly going to be seen with the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray formats. But the HDCP standard is going to be enforced in TV's and the DVD player's. So this isn't some hurdle that is being thrown only at Vista users.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #26 of 58
That took awhile. Page two to get my answer. Thanks b2bw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?
The DRM will not affect formats or playback of media that do not have DRM in the first place. As Kwisatz has been saying, this is mainly going to be seen with the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray formats. But the HDCP standard is going to be enforced in TV's and the DVD player's. So this isn't some hurdle that is being thrown only at Vista users.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be phasing Vista into my rendering CPUs for my 3D work. It's supposed to improve rendering times because of better multithreading and support for up to 128 GB of RAM (where XP pro is limited to 2 to 3 GB). But I'm going to wait a little bit for security patches to come out
icon10.gif

128 GB of RAM??? Who has that much???? I think I'm doing good with my 2GB...

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #29 of 58
Maybe we will all have to migrate to a different OS....

What is there that will handle 4 gigs of main memory and duo core that is not MS?

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #30 of 58
Running Vista at home & work, mainly because we are a MS shop. I did build a new dual-core machine with 2gb, and find it has some new annoyances, allegedly in the namje of security. But, on the surface, pretty much the SOS. The sidebar gadgets are really handy, especially the currency converter and the 'ping' gadget, which are, I'm sure, nods to MacOS, though OS isn't a religious issue with me. ALL PC UI came from Xerox PARC, so what does it now matter who ripped it off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back