Microsoft Vista
Dec 31, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings.

Anyone waiting to upgrade to the new MS OS? I am hearing that some will stick with XP because they say Vista will have DRM (digital rights management) issues. Anyone know what these issues will be?

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 58
Other then the eye candy interface, I don't see any benefit of Vista over XP, yet. All these "security" enhancements are still need to be proven to be secure, while there are many proven 3rd party tools already developed for XP. After using Vista for a few weeks, I got an impression that it was more intended to be "dumb-proof" for its users, rather than for technical/professional use.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 58
There's a stink over how it'll output HD video to monitors. The last I heard is that you'll have to buy a new kind of monitor that uses encryption to view it in hi-rez. However, I don't think any of them are on the market yet.

I have no plans to run Vista... I've been in the Cult of Macintosh for 20 something years and joined those Linux freaks about five years ago.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 58
I have no plans to upgrade on my current PC. I'll wait until I get a new one which probably won't be until 2008.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 58
Nope, I will stick with Mac OS X!
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 58
I'm not even familiar with XP (running *cough* 98 *cough). What are these 3rd party tools?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...while there are many proven 3rd party tools already developed for XP.

Not too bad really. Some useful info mixed in with the usual thread crap.

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a stink over how it'll output HD video to monitors. The last I heard is that you'll have to buy a new kind of monitor that uses encryption to view it in hi-rez. However, I don't think any of them are on the market yet.

I have no plans to run Vista... I've been in the Cult of Macintosh for 20 something years and joined those Linux freaks about five years ago.

It's called HDCP and yes many recent monitors do have it. And that's not Vista's fault anyhow. This is the same sort of thing that's required for HDDVD/BR disc players to output at full resolution digitally. Honestly all this DRM stuff is really overblown. DRM support doesn't just go lock down everything in sight... The content had to be designed to use the DRM to begin with. Bunch of tin-foil hat wearing people.
wink.gif
Quite frankly I have my doubts whether a lot of the people that use the DRM thing as an excuse for not upgrading to vista would have bought it to begin with. More like "I'm not going to pirate this edition".
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 58
I understand vista will use a usb thumb drive as ram...that's prety cool.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called HDCP and yes many recent monitors do have it. And that's not Vista's fault anyhow. This is the same sort of thing that's required for HDDVD/BR disc players to output at full resolution digitally. Honestly all this DRM stuff is really overblown. DRM support doesn't just go lock down everything in sight... The content had to be designed to use the DRM to begin with. Bunch of tin-foil hat wearing people.
wink.gif
Quite frankly I have my doubts whether a lot of the people that use the DRM thing as an excuse for not upgrading to vista would have bought it to begin with. More like "I'm not going to pirate this edition".
evil_smiley.gif

I didn't know the HDCP monitors were already out there. I think I'll stick with DVI awhile longer.

Also, the problem with DRM isn't that it locks down everything in sight. The problem comes about when it's not so new n' shiny. A few years down the road, someone will change the encryption scheme because it got cracked, a company goes under/gets bought, a lawsuit forces a change, someone begins enforcing a patent, etc. etc. etc., and all of a sudden, the media you paid for is gone. Either that, or you're going to have to pay again for an "upgrade" to keep using what you already have. What will you do when HDCP2 arrives? It will, or something like it. They'll force you to buy a HDCP2 monitor, or else your HDCP monitor will stop working.

Say the encryption scheme changes because of "piracy." All of a sudden, the movies you legitimately bought no longer work because they're "insecure." Have a problem with that? Tough. Read the license agreement and you'll see that they can turn off support any time they damn well please. And if the original company doesn't do it, the company that buys them or merges with them will change the contract and make you buy everything all over again. They can do it, it's in the license agreement.

I bought a few songs off iTunes. What if Apple changes their EULA and I have to buy something else to keep listening to them? And what if "something" happens every few years, so I have to keep paying?

DRM is really about control. If someone else holds the keys, they're not going to lock you out for no reason. Instead, they're going to twist your arm to keep the balance sheet helathy.

No thanks.

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know the HDCP monitors were already out there. I think I'll stick with DVI awhile longer.

Also, the problem with DRM isn't that it locks down everything in sight. The problem comes about when it's not so new n' shiny. A few years down the road, someone will change the encryption scheme because it got cracked, a company goes under/gets bought, a lawsuit forces a change, someone begins enforcing a patent, etc. etc. etc., and all of a sudden, the media you paid for is gone. Either that, or you're going to have to pay again for an "upgrade" to keep using what you already have. What will you do when HDCP2 arrives? It will, or something like it. They'll force you to buy a HDCP2 monitor, or else your HDCP monitor will stop working.

Say the encryption scheme changes because of "piracy." All of a sudden, the movies you legitimately bought no longer work because they're "insecure." Have a problem with that? Tough. Read the license agreement and you'll see that they can turn off support any time they damn well please. And if the original company doesn't do it, the company that buys them or merges with them will change the contract and make you buy everything all over again. They can do it, it's in the license agreement.

I bought a few songs off iTunes. What if Apple changes their EULA and I have to buy something else to keep listening to them? And what if "something" happens every few years, so I have to keep paying?

DRM is really about control. If someone else holds the keys, they're not going to lock you out for no reason. Instead, they're going to twist your arm to keep the balance sheet helathy.

No thanks.

HDCP is just provided by a chip in the monitor - signal is still transmitted over DVI/HDMI. And yes, arguements against DRM easily can go down the slippery slope. And really, I'm not even arguing in its favor. While I understand why the companies want to put it into place, I don't particularly like it - at least how it's done now. My point, however, is how this shouldn't be held against Vista. The HDCP protection exists in set top players, and in order for the next generation DVDs to be played on a computer (legitimately), your computer monitor and video card, thus require it. To use it as an arguement against Vista is silly.

Once again though DRM only exists where it's enforced. AFAIK the individual discs can be set to enable or disable the downscaling that happens when they're viewed digitally through a non HDCP compliant chain. So really it's up to the movie makers.

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 58
Ill wait it out for a year or so, when I upgrade, build a new computer I think.

I have no programs, that I must use, with Vista, so Im not in a hurry

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand vista will use a usb thumb drive as ram...that's prety cool.

but its not ram... why use it that way?
real ram in sizes large enough to be "competitive" is available in FAST speeds at prices that are also decent.

if you need 4gb of ram, get a motherboard with 4 slots, and 4 1gb sticks...
if you dont, you are probably not going to notice that you dont even fill up the 512 on your computer, and that the extra slow 1gb you added isnt even being used.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 58
im gonna get a 24" ezio lcd monitor in 20 hours!! shld i wait???? since it doesnt have the chip inside

I nv watch dvds on my computer and i dont play games. will that affect me if i buy the monitor without the chip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back