Microsoft Introduces Zune
Jul 25, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
At the risk of this getting further ridiculous, would you seriously compare MSs closed WMA/WMV to Apples much greater support for open standards like MP3, MP4, AAC, H.264, etc.

That is ridiculous because it's an unfair comparison, comparing DRM vs. codec instead of DRM vs. DRM or codev vs codec. AAC is open and WMA is not (and this is a separate argument), but the point is FairPlay is closed and at the moment will not work with any non-Apple device. This is lock-in and monopolisitc in my opinion. Until this changes, I doubt the iPod will lose to anything. WMA does work with many devices, however.

I find it difficult to judge something that doesn't exist, at least to the public anyway. But if MS can make a device that rivals the iPod in terms of features and price and integrates with WMP10/11 instead of trailing Apple by six months in releasing new competing devices, a la the woeful Creative, then that's a good start. The iPod didn't explode until it became Windows/PC compatible.

Aug 12, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #18 of 27
What a load of nonsense in this thread. Ipods play non-DRMed files and so will this "Zune". If you WANT to play DRMed files then you can compare the players' support for this. Treating this as a disadvantage is ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 27
Given that Microsoft's so strict & involved in 'Anti-piracy', I think tat they might do a 'sony' here putting stuff into other people's PC so tat no 'illegal' songs can be put into the zune!

IMO the design is really crap, think its goin to be a flop like the media centre player with Creative.
blink.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 27
It seems likely that the price is not going to be competitive -- which sort of disappoint me, as I half-hoped that MS will sell the device cheaply (or even at a loss) in order to gain market share. Few things cheers me more than a really big hole in Apple's pod, but it looks like the beans are safe for the time being...

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #22 of 27
Wi-Fi is becoming more and more prevalent, isn't it? I know recently West Edmonton Mall installed Wi-Fi connectivity throughout the entire mall, and there are at a lot more places in the world that provide Wi-Fi connectivity.

http://www.wifinder.com

This badboy may actually be popular amongst travellers what with Wi-Fi existing in the airports and hotels.

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
One can only imagine the type of DRM shackles that a Microsoft brand could come up with for their players. As soon as you plug it into your computer it turns everything into 64kps WMA DRM files. Haha.

...and implements Microsoft's Genuine Advantage authentication of your Windows XP license at the same time....

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 27
This looks so freaking ugly compared to iPod. I think I would rather get a Creative or iRiver than this thing.

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i'm thinking this will be as close as video game. x-box vs ps.

I read, this version will NOT be a game console. It is solely a mp3 or a video player only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back