microphonics in md33 and hj350 and canalphones in general
Feb 27, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #31 of 38
With Etys the tips don't break in normal use, or haven't for me. The problem seems to be caused by zealous removal/cleaning/sterilising/replacement of the tips combined with forceful use of the filter changing tool in amazingly frequent changing of the filters.

Unless you produce immense amounts of ear wax, that schedule of replacement isn't necessary, and therefore you wouldn't have problems; if you do produce that much earwax then you might think twice about using canalphones generally.

And they sound amazing
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #32 of 38
I dunno, maybe it's just me. The E2C's sound so much clearer with more quality to me. The Sharps sound muddy, yet some sounds are sharp and make my ear hurt. For example, the "Sh" sound - it seems exaggerated with the Sharps and very sharp, but it doesn't hurt much with the Shures. Also, to me, the voices are blended in the background with the sharps, unlike the Shures. I'd rather keep the Shures, but it's uncomfortable and looks weird.

I know one thing for sure, if I barely move the wire with the Sharps, I can hear it over the music (on pretty loud).

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #33 of 38
Well, the Panasonics are back in stock at Amazon, so I ordered a pair. I figure I'll just see how I like canalphones and experiment with them. Maybe later on I'll get a pair of E2Cs or MD33s. Funny(and confusing) how some people say the Shures are muddy and then someone turns around and says the Sharps are muddy. The only way I can tell is if I listen to them, but none of the cheap places have good return policies(compuplus+audiocubes?)
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirou
That is an interesting solution. Do you do this and has anyone else actually tried this before? Looking at the MD33 image, it seems to have a long stem, so would I have to wear them upside down or something? Because it would seem to me that if they get pulled a little bit, it would turn them in my ear because the wire is going over my ear... but I don't know. How is it? And this gets rid of cable noise? It would also seem to me that it would shorten the length a tad.

Edit - I wonder if the MD33 mod where you stretch some earbud foamies over the drivers and put the tip over it would work with the HJE50..? I read that its highs are pretty harsh.

i did this to my hje50's...cut out earbud foamies and stretched the rubber sleeve to wrap it aorund them. its a good mod, cuts down the highs just a bit, so it does sound somewhat better. not THAT noticable but still better than the stock cover. and it helps block earwax too.

on the microphonics issue, with the hje50 i dont notice it...unless the stem of the earbud rubs up against my jacket or something, its not an issue. i dont really hear the cord at all when im walking around or anything.

overall these are a great pair of headphones. they cost half as much as the ex71 here in my city (40 cdn ~ 25usd compared to 80cdn for the ex71). unfortunately the only way for me to get an md33 is to order online so it wasnt worth it. best price/quality ratio in an earbud i think.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 38
Hey, thanks for the response!
280smile.gif
I was wondering if anyone used that mod on the Panasonics. And it's good to hear some positive responses about the cable noise. I can't wait till I get them... I would have gotten them today, but Amazon was out of stock... and apparently every other day they say they're in stock and then the next day say they're out of stock
blink.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #37 of 38
I just use one of those plastic paperclips and clip the cord to my shirt. Now, I only hear my own breathing and footsteps (still kinda annoying
biggrin.gif
).

Not very elegant, but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back