microphonics in md33 and hj350 and canalphones in general
Feb 26, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfire
headphones dont have microphonics in terms of audio reproduction unless you are using them as either a tube amp or a microphone.

Quote:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=489621&postcount=35

Thanks for the correction. Looks like even the Headroom guys made the same mistake in their descriptiions of the ER4S/P! (That's where I picked up the term ....)

Quote:

That was my first lesson here at headfi and it seems so long ago.

One and a half years IS a long time, and perhaps many would benefit if you posted this in a new thread, so that the error will not be perpetrated? Thanks again.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #18 of 38
I have the Sharps, Sonys and Shures E2&E3. The Sharps are by far the most microphonic, I think its because of the thin hard wire that conducts sounds better then the softer wire of the Sonys or the thicker wire of the Shures.
The Shures BTW are more sensible to occlusion (hearing your footsteps), I guess because they are heavier and 'bounce' more. It depends on the tips too, the foamies giving less occlusion then the soft dark tips.

Feb 26, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 38
helllo,

The earhugger mod works, but before you even bother with it, there is a much simpler and faster solution to the wire noise.

wear the earphones shure style by running the wire over your ears and use a cable tie or a trashbag tie to make a loop around the earpiece wire above the y joint and then slide it up to lock the wires in place ala shure style behind your head.

simple. elegant and cheap solution.

Feb 26, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

helllo,

The earhugger mod works, but before you even bother with it, there is a much simpler and faster solution to the wire noise.

wear the earphones shure style by running the wire over your ears and use a cable tie or a trashbag tie to make a loop around the earpiece wire above the y joint and then slide it up to lock the wires in place ala shure style behind your head.

Interesting.

Feb 26, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
Microphonics occurs when the cable of the canalphone is brushed or bumped against something and the subsequent noise is carried up to your ears. Basically, when the cable is touched, you'll "hear" it in your ears.

ohhhh, i think i get that kind of sound with my mx500s. When i move around, or open my jaw... i'll really hear that sound in my ear.

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 38
Microphonics is an overblown issue for me. When I was considering the ety's, it almost turned me off them. While I wouldn't run with them, I do exercise and do yardwork while wearing them. Moving quite a bit, too. I find the shirt clip to be a big help but frankly, unless I'm listening to Diana Krall at very low levels, it's really no issue for me. JMO.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #24 of 38
I have the MD33s. It's really horrible, I can hear the smallest movement over my music. With my E2C's, I don't hear anything when I touch the wire, but I still hear jaw movement and stepping.

I'm disappointed with the sound quality too. I thought it'd be at least close to the E2C's, but it's not much better than my $10 MX400s. The highs sound muffled and hurts my ears. I tried to be positive about it since it was a little bit cheaper, but I've come to this conclusion. I guess it's alot more comfortable tho....

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #25 of 38
eek.gif
Dang, what an indictment! That might be the worst thing I've read about the MD33. Everything else I see praises them. Really disappointed about the cable noise. I don't think I can return them to audiocubes if they are not sufficient can I...
I'm in a tough spot, I think, because I don't want to go for the E2Cs because of its weird insertion, comfort and I'm not terribly gentle with my 'phones. I think I might get the Panasonics and see how I like canal phones, and if they even match the MX450s in sound, then I'll stick with them until I upgrade...
*shrug* It's late(or early), and I don't know what I'm thinking.

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

helllo,

That is an interesting solution. Do you do this and has anyone else actually tried this before? Looking at the MD33 image, it seems to have a long stem, so would I have to wear them upside down or something? Because it would seem to me that if they get pulled a little bit, it would turn them in my ear because the wire is going over my ear... but I don't know. How is it? And this gets rid of cable noise? It would also seem to me that it would shorten the length a tad.

Edit - I wonder if the MD33 mod where you stretch some earbud foamies over the drivers and put the tip over it would work with the HJE50..? I read that its highs are pretty harsh.

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirou
eek.gif
Dang, what an indictment! That might be the worst thing I've read about the MD33. Everything else I see praises them. Really disappointed about the cable noise. I don't think I can return them to audiocubes if they are not sufficient can I...
I'm in a tough spot, I think, because I don't want to go for the E2Cs because of its weird insertion, comfort and I'm not terribly gentle with my 'phones. I think I might get the Panasonics and see how I like canal phones, and if they even match the MX450s in sound, then I'll stick with them until I upgrade...
*shrug* It's late(or early), and I don't know what I'm thinking.

So enter the light and go with the Ety's.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
So enter the light and go with the Ety's.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lol, yeah right, I wish
3000smile.gif

st4r0c3an, I'm just wary because of all of these posts saying how they break when they're changing tips and whatnot.

And I really need to make a decision soon, or at least temporary because I have a plane trip on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back