microphonics....etymotic ER6 (not 6i) vs HF5 ?
May 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

CallMeZsaZsa

Head-Fier
Ive only ever used the Ety ER6's and am pleased with the sound (nothing to compare it to) but the fit is bad--too large for my ear. The Amazon deal is tempting me to purchase the HF5s but I keep reading about the bad microphonics with this iem. So I wonder, in terms of microphonics, do the HF5's have more, the same or less than the ER6's? This would help me greatly in my decision
thanks

May 31, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 17
A LOT of people have said that looping over the ear seems to fix this problem.

May 31, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 17
What I need to know is how the 2 compare....I dont mind the microphonics on the er6, so if the hf5 are the same, its all good....if the hf5 is worse, that might bug me (I know I could wear them over ear but prefer not to and may not buy this model if that would be necessary)

May 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 17
Never tryed the ER6 but I find very little microphonics with the HF2 (which is the HF5 with a microphone) and certainly a lot less microphonic than the ER4

May 31, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 17
I bought the hf2 for my iPhone, but the microphonics are so bad I can´t use them at all. So money to the toilet!
angry_face.gif

May 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the hf2 for my iPhone, but the microphonics are so bad I can´t use them at all. So money to the toilet!
angry_face.gif

Hmmm, completely the opposite of my findings, hardly any microphonics

May 31, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angry_face.gif

Have you tried putting them in upside down and running the cable over your ears?

Steven.

May 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Have you tried putting them in upside down and running the cable over your ears?

Steven.

Yes. Helps a littlebit, but it´s totally uncomfortable and the cables slip out from behind the ears.

May 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 17
That would be uncomfortable as the microphone will virtually sit behind the ear. All other iem's I have/have had I hve used over and behind the ear and with the ER4 this mandatory or microphonics will kill you.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be uncomfortable as the microphone will virtually sit behind the ear. All other iem's I have/have had I hve used over and behind the ear and with the ER4 this mandatory or microphonics will kill you.

With the ER4 when I use the shirt clip and there are no microphonics.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 17
Yes that helps too but I don't like the shirt clip

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 17
I have also found ER4P, ER4S and HF5 all have microphonics. HF5 is slightly better than the ER4 series, but still ranks pretty high compared to other IEMs I've tried (Senn IE8, IE7, UM3x, W3..etc). Running them over the ears would 'fix' microphonics for the most part, but it may be harder to do on HF5 (I've sold it off already) due to the angle of earpiece cable. ER4 is nearly impossible to wear over the ears with the original cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back