MicroLab SOLO6C - truly amazing powered speakers for the £70 asking price- thats for the pair!!!
May 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
MicroLab SOLO6C

Yeh you have never heard of microlab but more people should have... got these a few months back and I can whole heartedly reccomend them...they are crazy for the price of £70 over here in the UK, you can connect a 3.5mm or RCA aux in too, they have built in EQ and a remote...bloddy brilliant and solidly made too, with thick wooden panels, if Microlab had the mark up of more mainstream companies like M-Audio etc they would quite literally be 2-3 times the price, and still I would be over the moon with the SQ for that price!

I would say these are rather flat speakers, with the soundstage being a little narrow but that is the only negative thing i can say about these speakers! Clarity, mids and highs are all very good...bass even shocked me quite a bit for such small speakers, (bigger than your average set of 2.0´s with their 6.5" woofers!) but I had already bought a used wharfedale SW150 10" subwoofer, and I have to admit this setup really has to be up there for one of the best bang for buck things i have ever bought, compared with my parents B&W 684 floorstanders with an arcam solo neo, this 2.1 setup > Titanium HD really does compete well considering its a fraction of the price, of course it isnt as good and I am not saying that but its a 10th of the price if you factor in the need of a quality amp for the 684´s and you would NEVER guess that hearing the two setups side by side!

If your not a basshead then you will find the Microlab just fine with no sub...its there when its called for but never overpowers or bleeds into the mids, its a very neutral sound with an ever so slight emphasis on the mids, or this just may be everything else I own has slightly recessed mids haha
The only time when a sub really shows its worth is when you put on some dubstep or similar with bass that extends past or near 30Hz then that is where you can sense the Micrlobs start to strain...but they still put on a good show! haha 

Also for the price I doubt you will find any powered set that can go louder...they literally shake the house haha...as in i go downstairs and glasses are shaking, and this is WITHOUT the sub (but with bass EQ on 5/8!) and volume on 2/3 
eek.gif
 and zero audible distortion...very clean sound even at high volume! 

At low listening volumes the detail is still GREAT so they make a very nice set of desktop speakers if your on a budget! 

This review sums it up quite nicely...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4112/microlab_solo6c_powered_stereo_speakers_review/index5.html Sooooo glad i went for these, pics dont do the speakers justice, I love the retro look of em´ (wood panels look great!)

I wanna hear some other opinions on these...so please guys if you have them or buy some because of this thread post impressions here...bang for buck speaker king haha 

People literally dont believe me when I tell them the price after listening, I have to show them on the net haha! 

May 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 25
Cummon guys i waInna hear another opinion on these great budget speakers!

May 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 25
I can recommend these speakers, especially if you live in Australia or New Zealand. They seem to be the best speakers available for under $200 NZD.
I prefer these over Audioengine A2, although the size and weight of these things are pretty huge.
Another con would be that it doesn't have any memory of the volume/settings etc. when you turn them on again.

May 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 25
I have just been on the lookout for a pair of bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening and this just seems to be an interesting option.

May 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 25
I have just been on the lookout for a pair of bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening and this just seems to be an interesting option.

Yeh I love these...an absolute bargain, I am surprised not many people have been interested tbh and I actually think that if these were £120 or so then there would be more interest in them LOL 

If you do end up getting them then let me know how you like them on the thread! I can gurantee you that you wont be dissapointed! 

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 25
My Solo 6Cs just came in and ..wow...these are bigger than I expected! I cleared out some space on my desk but that just doesn't seem to cut it...guess would have to pick up a pair of stands! had a quick listen and am loving it, more impressions to come 
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
My Solo 6Cs just came in and ..wow...these are bigger than I expected! I cleared out some space on my desk but that just doesn't seem to cut it...guess would have to pick up a pair of stands! had a quick listen and am loving it, more impressions to come 
biggrin.gif

Great news...it only gets better with more burn in, so keep them playing! The bass extension gets much better with a few hours of some loud DnB or something! 

Really interested in your impressions so do let me know what you think, initially I was a bit dissapointed with the sub bass, but I am very impressed with it now! I find treble on 3 and bass on 4 to suit me nicely! 

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 25
Danny93, did you notice any "whine" coming from the speakers from time to time when they aren't playing anything...? I can distinctly make out a whine from the speakers when they are not playing anything and powered up! May be its just a fault with my set of speakers! 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
Danny93, did you notice any "whine" coming from the speakers from time to time when they aren't playing anything...? I can distinctly make out a whine from the speakers when they are not playing anything and powered up! May be its just a fault with my set of speakers! 
rolleyes.gif

Well if I put my head up really close to the speaker with the amp in it then I can hear a very slight hum (natural for an amp) but the other speaker is dead silent, my computer fans are BY FAR the loudest thing I can hear...sitting about a metre away from the speakers I can hear nothing

The hum from my Subwoofer is MUCH louder than the one from the speakers 

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 25
No, this noise is more of a whine than a hum and it comes only from the tweeter of both the speakers! Guess, I need to send them back 
frown.gif
 the noise is really annoying and it comes  on once I power-up the speakers, even without any input plugged in (so i know its not the source!)

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
No, this noise is more of a whine than a hum and it comes only from the tweeter of both the speakers! Guess, I need to send them back 
frown.gif
 the noise is really annoying and it comes  on once I power-up the speakers, even without any input plugged in (so i know its not the source!)

When I put my ear right close (few cm´s) to the tweeter then I can hear a higher pitched static sort of sound...but when I put my ear back towards the woofer then I can no longer hear it (thats how quiet it is) 

Try moving the volume dial on the back of the speaker with the amp...now I come to think of it when I first got them I think there was a distinctive noise when nothing was playing and by moving the volume dial I vaguely remember finding a sweet spot with minimal noise, scared to move the dial incase I cant get this sweet spot back haha 

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 25
I got in touch Microlab Support Germany and they asked me to go ahead and get a replacement from the vendor I bought from. So will be sending this one back to Amazon and getting a replacement. 

@danny93 The noise or whine from my unit is not as subtle as you seem to be experiencing, its pretty audible! 
frown.gif
 infact its audible even over silent parts of the music!

Otherwise, the Solo 6C is just amazing...infact I'm having a hard time letting it go for a replacement
wink.gif
. Guess I will write a longer post once I get the new one. First impressions are very very good!

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
I got in touch Microlab Support Germany and they asked me to go ahead and get a replacement from the vendor I bought from. So will be sending this one back to Amazon and getting a replacement. 

@danny93 The noise or whine from my unit is not as subtle as you seem to be experiencing, its pretty audible! 
frown.gif
 infact its audible even over silent parts of the music!

Otherwise, the Solo 6C is just amazing...infact I'm having a hard time letting it go for a replacement
wink.gif
. Guess I will write a longer post once I get the new one. First impressions are very very good!

Glad to hear you like it...but now I come to think of it i do remember having to find this sweet spot and it took me ages...the volume dial on the back of the speaker...put music on pause and turn it up so you can hear the whine then adjust the volume dial until the whine is at its lowest volume...barely audible, but it did take me a while...I completely forgot about this though so thanks for bringing it up 

Good luck mate 

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 25
Not impressed with my pair. Amp broke after less than a days use. I can power the left speaker that doesn't have an amp fine from a separate, but the right is a complete dud. Will be getting them refunded and going for a more reliable company like Genelac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back