Micro stack help please
Aug 24, 2006 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zithras

New Head-Fier
First off, I apologize in advance if this has already been asked a million times. I seem to recall a thread with this exact question awhile ago, but couldn't find it
frown.gif
I lose.

Anyway, here's my (newest) question:

I have (will soon have, actually) a pair of senn 650's with cardas cable hooked to a micro stack (amp w/desktop module, dac). What's the best way to power the micro stack (for maximum sound quality)? Should I use the (included) wall wart(s), or batteries? If batteries, what type of batteries? I have heard that for low impedance headphones, batteries tend to be better quality-wise than a wall wart, but only if they're nearly full. On the other hand, I've also heard that batteries in the micro stack can't adequately power high-impedance headphones (and wall warts are cheaper, but thats a side issue...)...Sooo...what would be best quality-wise with my setup?

Always grateful for good advice,
Zithras

600smile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 17
Battery power is adequate for most headphones. It's clear and very high quality, and from my experience therefore the best sounding. The voltage is a little low, but not to the point of creating sonic issues to my ears.

Lithium 9V's are the way to go, not because there is a sonic difference between batteries but because you will bet better voltage performance for longer.

They aren't cheap, but you asked for the best! Also, don't forget that once your Micro DAC runs of out juice from a new pair of batteries, just swap them around, put them back and you'll get another 6 hours or so...

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 17
Hmm if lithium batteries are the way to go, even with high-impedance headphones...

What is a good rechargable 9v lithium battery? Do they even exist?

The link earlier in the thread to a lithium 9v was for a non-rechargable battery, and Headroom apparently only sells Maha 9v batteries, which are NiMH.

Any suggestions?

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zithras
Hmm if lithium batteries are the way to go, even with high-impedance headphones...

What is a good rechargable 9v lithium battery? Do they even exist?

The link earlier in the thread to a lithium 9v was for a non-rechargable battery, and Headroom apparently only sells Maha 9v batteries, which are NiMH.

Any suggestions?

Lithiums are not rechargeable. I didn't know you were specifically after rechargeables. The highest capacity rechargeables are Lithium Polymer, however there seems to be some question as to whether these actually fit in the Micro or not. Some people have said yes, some people have said no...

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Lithiums are not rechargeable. I didn't know you were specifically after rechargeables. .

Well...I wasn't actually after rechargables in specific...I was just wondering if there were lithioum rechargables, since I'd rather get those over lithium non-rechargables.

Since there's not, lithium non-recharables it is.

I found a great price on the batteries linked earlier: Amazon has em for about a dollar each - I picked up several 6-packs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
Considering that everyone else seems to want 5-9 bucks a battery, this is very nice on my wallet!

Eagerly awaiting his audio equipment,
Zithras

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zithras
Well...I wasn't actually after rechargables in specific...I was just wondering if there were lithioum rechargables, since I'd rather get those over lithium non-rechargables.

Since there's not, lithium non-recharables it is.

I found a great price on the batteries linked earlier: Amazon has em for about a dollar each - I picked up several 6-packs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
Considering that everyone else seems to want 5-9 bucks a battery, this is very nice on my wallet!

Eagerly awaiting his audio equipment,
Zithras

That's a great deal. You should get double the battery life out of those than you would from Alkalines.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Zithras,
I don't know where you live but if you have reasonably reliable, clean power you will probably be fine with the wall warts. I can't tell the difference between batteries and the wall warts, although I didn't do a lot of critical listening trying to find any subtle differences.

The MicroStack will eat your wallet alive if you use disposable batteries. Splurging on disposable alkalines or even lithiums would be great for occasional portable use, but no way I'd do that for normal use where I have access to power.

A good source of quality rechargeable batteries is Thomas Distributing; here's the page with the 9 volt batteries. I have 8 of the Powerex batteries at the top of the page, along with a matching charger, and they fit well in the MicroStack battery compartments:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/9v...-batteries.php

I have heard, but do not know from personal experience, that the lithium polymer batteries on this page do not fit.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth

They aren't cheap, but you asked for the best! Also, don't forget that once your Micro DAC runs of out juice from a new pair of batteries, just swap them around, put them back and you'll get another 6 hours or so...

How does this work with the swapping and getting another 6 hours or so?

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
How does this work with the swapping and getting another 6 hours or so?

The Micro DAC runs most of its electronics off one side of the supply. The batteries supply +9 from one battery and -9 from the other. I don't remember which one it is, but I believe the -9 runs most of the electronics and the +9 does rather little. Therefore when it seems empty, the -9 still has enough left to do the job of the +9 side and the +9 side is basically still full.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 17
so does this not work with the micro amp? mine kills batteries and is almost making me think of getting another amp for portable use just to save on battery costs.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
so does this not work with the micro amp? mine kills batteries and is almost making me think of getting another amp for portable use just to save on battery costs.

Nope, the Micro Amp places an even load on both batteries.

I don't know why people don't consider the micro module. Especially with the '06 version, it's an excellent module. Head-Fi seems to push people who need battery life wanting a Micro over to the Desktop Module. There is a reason they offer the Micro Module as well...

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, I also use this as my home amp since I don't have a whole lot of room on my desktop for say their desktop amp. Also, I bought it used off ebay so it came with and I didn't know much more than that I would rather have better sound for no additional cost (whereas perhaps the hidden added cost lies in the batteries)

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 17
i was generally getting about two hours of run time with the micro amp/desktop module when using energizers & even less with rechargeables. the wall wart works fine at home with the micro stack. but, i mostly use the micro amp when i travel with iem's & do not carry the psu. for the past year i have only been using the utralife lithium batteries from thos. distributing in the amp which give me about 25 or 30 hours of run time with iem's. you may only get 20 hours with your senns. do the math & they are well worth the price. i also use the ultralife lithiums in the dac but only run the dac as a micro stack without the psu's when a wall outlet is not convenient like when i am out back in the hammock. use the supplied psu's if you have the option & battery life will not be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back