Micro iUSB3.0 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #106 of 663
just might spring for this over the nano.
might be overkill for my gig:
laptop to micro idsd to cans ...or to headphone tube amp.

this whole 'conditioning of signals / tweaks area is a most nebulous area:
can be an area so full of 'voodoo' smoke and mirrors, esp when boatloads of
tech specs and theory are tossed around.

just have to trust that iFi, however, given it's reputable history,
has a commendable product that supports it's price.

if anyone is wanting to unload one, pm me please.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #107 of 663
  just might spring for this over the nano.
might be overkill for my gig:
laptop to micro idsd to cans ...or to headphone tube amp.

The way I see it the Micro iUSB3 may not be overkill since you have a laptop on one end and a tube amp on the other end. In addition you have IEM's which may benefit from the lower noise floor of the iUSB3 and the isoGround which can lower any 60Hz ground noise better than the Nano and you have the longer ground path from your laptop out to your tube amp.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #108 of 663

thanks for that, john57....oftentimes with these units and this area, unless i  am able to understand
how they'll impact (or not) my own specific setup, I am often left scratching my head
with confusion...esp since i don't come from a strong understanding in audio/electronics.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #109 of 663
IMO, compared to other solutions like Audiophilleo, iFi's iUSB 3.0 micro or nano is still a great value to get a peace of mind in ensuring that your USB input is as good as it gets. In my experience, iUSB 3.0 made a noticeable improvement in soundstage and clarity of my Schiit Bifrost MB which is known to have less soundstage than its higher priced brother, Gungnir and Yggdrasil. This is listening to a entry level headphone like my AKG K712s. iUSB nano or micro also allows low powered android phones supporting USB audio to be able to handshake with my DAC without issues.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #110 of 663
Well I'm about to join the iUSB 3.0 club as I ordered one today to go with an iDAC2 I ordered at the same time.

This pairing will replace the Nano iDSD I'm currently feeding into an iTunes and iCan SE.

Yes the iUSB is probably overkill but I've just had to watch my mother die from a quick and horrible cancer and music is what is keeping me sane at the moment and for the first time in my life I can actually afford such things so **** it! As the events of the last few weeks have shown me you only live once and if it's a true passion and the bills, rent and family are all taken care of it then go for it.

I commute by train a couple of hours a day so I'm going to pair the Nano iDSD with a Nano iCan then I'll be set I think.

Hopefully the postie will come bearing gifts on Saturday. Will report my findings accordingly...

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #111 of 663
Well I'm about to join the iUSB 3.0 club as I ordered one today to go with an iDAC2 I ordered at the same time.

This pairing will replace the Nano iDSD I'm currently feeding into an iTunes and iCan SE.

Yes the iUSB is probably overkill but I've just had to watch my mother die from a quick and horrible cancer and music is what is keeping me sane at the moment and for the first time in my life I can actually afford such things so **** it! As the events of the last few weeks have shown me you only live once and if it's a true passion and the bills, rent and family are all taken care of it then go for it.

my condolences on the loss of your mom....may she enjoy the music in spirit, alongside you.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #112 of 663
Thank you. Music was very important to my mum also (she was far more musical than me!) so I think she'd approve although she never caught the hi fi bug.

I tried to convince her, she had a stunning classical cd collection, really really stunning and was quite happy with a cheap mini system.

I think she knew the pieces that well (she was a singer so had performed a lot of them) she could mentally improve the performance so to speak.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #114 of 663

The Gadget Show - iFi giving out free tickets - first come first served.

iFI audio is exhibiting at the Gadget Show from Thursday 31st March through to Sunday 3rd April. This is the UK’s largest electronics show held at the Birmingham NEC. There are some 75,000 visitors.

We have a limited number of FREE tickets for any customers planning to attend.

http://www.gadgetshowlive.net/visiting

Just message us on FaceBook with your contact telephone and we’ll contact you.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/

Able to play with drones, test drive Teslas and listen to DSD512 on the Retro Stereo 50. What more could one wish for?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #116 of 663
just got my iusb3.0 today.  Everything works except plugging external usb3.0 hdd to the extra USB ports.  Anyone else having issues having hdd recognized in windows 10 when plugging into iusb3?

There are only two data ports on the iUSB3.0.

Are you referring to the extra two charging ports on the side towards the rear?

They are for charging phones and such like.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #117 of 663

I'm talking about using the extra data port.  I'm using dual head usb gemini for first set of power and power+data port.  Which means extra set of Power and Power+Data port is available.  I used the extra Power+Data port and drive doesn't get recognized.

Per IFI:
We like to try not only forensically but also comprehensively. With two sets of Dual-Ports, the micro iUSB3.0 operates as a computer audiophile-grade powered hub to serve two devices such as DAC and HDD. This means the whole complete computer audio is whisper quiet as noise from one source does not contaminate another.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #118 of 663

I'm talking about using the extra data port.  I'm using dual head usb gemini for first set of power and power+data port.  Which means extra set of Power and Power+Data port is available.  I used the extra Power+Data port and drive doesn't get recognized.

Hmm. Should be plug and play.

Have you eliminated the cable?

Have you tried the other power+data port?

Does the DAC keep working after the HDD is connected?

If the DAC plays up, it may be the quality of the cable connecting the iUSB3.0 to the PC.

Or it might just be Windows 10 being flaky.

Can you try it with another PC that's not running Windows 10?

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #120 of 663
Any recommendations for cable upgrades for the input? I know that it works with standard 2.0, but interested in any 3.0 options.... Thanks

There would be no difference using 3.0 cable over 2.0, hence input in the DAC would be 2.0 anyways. That's a no-brainer.

What should you be interested in is premium audiophile USB cables (they are 2.0), take a look at those, especially with separated power and data lines. Make sure to audition one before buying, as difference can be quite subtle.

As a nice coincidence, a couple of hours ago I have published a review of one great piece of cable which I consider literally best in the market regarding price/quality, making the end-game cable for me. Make sure to check out my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back