Michelle Wie - I don't like what I'm seeing here
Jul 17, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #91 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
I want to check out her swing. If Johnny Miller goes on and on about how talented she is then she definitely is the real deal. He is notoriously hard on golfers.

MJ

I'm no expert, but she has one sweet swing. I love watching her strike the ball.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #92 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I said that wasn't an expert in golf....but...it seems that in pure logical terms, and for the sake of women players, strength should be the sine qua non condition of higher performance. In fact it's the foundation of the way golf is played these days. Evidence of this could be found just by looking how this sport equipment is going to sell you their new products based on the the constant obsession about the new and more powerfull items.

Power, not strength is not the foundation of the way the came is played these days. These days, guys just bomb it as far as possible, then work out of whatever they need using their deep, square groove wedges and utility clubs. Although strength is a factor in that distance off the tee, it is not the only factor. Michelle is capable of generating the swing speed required to bomb drives as far as at least 50% of the PGA players. That being said, I have seen that she has trouble generating height or distance out of the rough, where strength is a bigger factor.

Personally, I find it surpising that she is competing with the top players in the LPGA already. Her short game is really not good IMO. I think when her short game develops more in a few years and she is getting a few more yards off the tee, the LPGA isn't going to offer her much competition. I don't know that she will ever be competitive with the top players in the PGA, but I could certainly see her making a living on that tour. Nevertheless, she has a long way to go.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #93 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
I'm no expert, but she has one sweet swing. I love watching her strike the ball.

That's why they call her the Big Wiesy. Her swing very much resembles that of Ernie Els, the Big Easy.

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #94 of 109
I don't know alot about tennis but I think that one of the williams sister's could of beaten a top 50 player. My reason for saying this is that firstly, Venus has a much more powerful serve than alot of the men, somewhere around the 129mph mark or so. Secondly, at this years Wimbledon, I was watching a doubles match which Venus participated in and when ever she took a shot at the male tennis player, he was unable to return the ball on many occusions mainly due to Venus's ferocious hitting. I also hear that one of the Italian women can out bench press alot of the top ten guys, I think her name was Scievonie or something.

Back to wie
Usually when a womens enters any mens tournament in any sports, its because they have dominated the womens scene for many years and not because of marketing and business. If she's not carful of her career she could potentially lose all fire in her belly and even fail to be a force in the womens game. I've seen this on many occassions in mens sport wether it be Soccer, Motorsport or any other sport. When a young athlete is forced into the deep end when unproven in their own league, when they fail and return, they often lose the will and desire they once had because they have come to the shocking realization that the people who they thought had their back were only there because of business.
Lets just pray that theis doesn't happen to Wie

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #95 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo

I don't know alot about tennis but I think that one of the williams sister's could of beaten a top 50 player. My reason for saying this is that firstly, Venus has a much more powerful serve than alot of the men, somewhere around the 129mph mark or so. Secondly, at this years Wimbledon, I was watching a doubles match which Venus participated in and when ever she took a shot at the male tennis player, he was unable to return the ball on many occusions mainly due to Venus's ferocious hitting. I also hear that one of the Italian women can out bench press alot of the top ten guys, I think her name was Scievonie or something.

I know I'm off topic here but I have some light to shared about this Venus possibility.

It wont happen based on what you saw because:

1) On grass all the players have difficulties returning serves. BTW if she averaged 129 mph for an entire match I realy doubt they were all good.....

2) In mix double the men are (it's an unwriten rule) not going to be as 100% agressive when they play the « weak side» of the opposite team. But the women are going «full throttle» (My apologies in advance to Sleestack's sister...
wink.gif
) This usually cause the men to be a bit out of synch with their usual game unless they are exclusively mixed double players.

3) About the benck press...my own serve could have «ripped» Arnold's knee caps any day of the week...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #97 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Yes, if Roddick keeps his serve at 140-150MPH in the mix doubles, very few women would be able to return that with quality.

LOL....and you have to pay me real good money to be at the net waiting for Roddick to serve at 140-150MPH over my shoulder....
eek.gif

Amicalement

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #98 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Power, not strength is not the foundation of the way the came is played these days. These days, guys just bomb it as far as possible, then work out of whatever they need using their deep, square groove wedges and utility clubs. Although strength is a factor in that distance off the tee, it is not the only factor. Michelle is capable of generating the swing speed required to bomb drives as far as at least 50% of the PGA players. That being said, I have seen that she has trouble generating height or distance out of the rough, where strength is a bigger factor.

So her difficulties are arising from not being an accomplished player more than being a female?

Amicalement

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #99 of 109
I love watching her play the PGA tour, and so do alot of others obviously.
She is certainly a talented player and has had sucess on the LPGA, coming in runner-up in majors. She will start winning there in no time. Just listen to the pros from the PGA tour speak about her. She is he real deal.
If and when she makes the cut on the PGA, it will be a great accomplishment for women in sports.
Annika Sorenstam, the best women's golfer could even do it.
She isn't taking away anyone's spot for the tournament, so what does it matter ? Too much pressure ? Give me a break, she was born to be a golfer and probably loves the excitement and competition.
There are many others who are male and get sponsor's exemptions, who have similar talent--- Tiger, Ty Tryon, etc. Heck, amateurs even play in the Masters, do you think they have a chance to win/ or even make the cut ? Most of them don't.
Tiger was 16 in his first PGA tour event, missed the cut by 6 strokes.
Wie was 14 at the Sony Open and missed by 2 strokes.
So tell me there's no place for her in a PGA tour event !

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #100 of 109
To those who want to play the gender card, and you know who you are: If you have your prejudices then there's nothing that will change it really, and I have to feel bad for you that your minds are so closed, and feel worse for the women who live with you, unless of course, they are also shackled by the same beliefs.

Men and women are different. Duh. Stereotype compared to stereotype, each has advantages over the other at a given skill.

But that's what you seem to be missing here. Stereotype to stereotype. All compared to all. In the human race it just doesn't work. There are too many individuals outside the stereotypes.

So despite what you may have been raised to think, or what experience has somehow taught you, it's wrong. You cannot lump all women into a group and say "They can't do.." this, that, or the other and compete successfully against men. There are just too many individuals outside your box of criteria. Can you imagine trying to stereotype all men, by say, for example, race? Yeah, that's insane. Well, it's just as insulting to any female who has half a brain to think.

And before my last paragraph causes anyone to rise to anger, I'm just trying to point out the absurdity of stereotyping. Accord women the same respect you _should_ accord your fellow man.

To say that no woman has accomplished this or the other is a valid statement only on the surface. You have to take into account how many have tried, and that number, compared to the men, is very small.

As for tennis, are memories that short?
wink.gif

This wasn't even about gender, it was about the negative influence of marketing and media hype on a sport. The tough thing to try to figure out is what _she_ really thinks and believes, as opposed to her parents and publists and agents, and sponsors. If she believes she has a shot, I can't help but think she should approach this later with more experience. The only that would change my mind from that if I were her, would be if I really felt I had something different, some edge I could use, if I could just work out how to use it.

Jul 19, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #101 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong

wink.gif

This wasn't even about gender, it was about the negative influence of marketing and media hype on a sport

LOL....where were you whe he was looking for a coach.....
rolleyes.gif

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...richards,0.jpg

Amicalement

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #102 of 109
Quote:

So despite what you may have been raised to think, or what experience has somehow taught you, it's wrong. You cannot lump all women into a group and say "They can't do.." this, that, or the other and compete successfully against men. There are just too many individuals outside your box of criteria. Can you imagine trying to stereotype all men, by say, for example, race? Yeah, that's insane. Well, it's just as insulting to any female who has half a brain to think.

I generally agree with you, but when you are talking about the specific area of professional tennis, I think you hwould be hard pressed to name one female who can compete on the men's professional tour.

Quote:

wink.gif

You're not talking about that farce of a tennis match between King and Riggs, are you?

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
LOL....where were you whe he was looking for a coach.....
rolleyes.gif

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...richards,0.jpg

Amicalement

I'm not sure why it makes people so angry to state what in many homes would be the obvious. I feel like I'm saying something as innocuous as pass the salt. All I'm saying is that just because a gender bender hasn't come along, doesn't mean it can't, won't or shouldn't happen.

As for the tennis reference, well yeah we're comparing a has-been with a big mouth to someone at the top of their game. However, to say it didn't happen would be untrue.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #104 of 109
Quote:

I'm not sure why it makes people so angry to state what in many homes would be the obvious. I feel like I'm saying something as innocuous as pass the salt. All I'm saying is that just because a gender bender hasn't come along, doesn't mean it can't, won't or shouldn't happen.

As for the tennis reference, well yeah we're comparing a has-been with a big mouth to someone at the top of their game. However, to say it didn't happen would be untrue.
wink.gif

I don't think anyone is (well at least I'm not) getting angry. I firmly believe b/c of the nature of golf, a woman like Wie may be competitive in the near future.

It may happen in tennis too, but an exhibition match hardly counts as a woman competing on the men's tour. Of course there are women who have beaten men in tennis. That's all that happened in the King/Riggs match. My sister used to make mince meat out of me on the court when she was a pro... but she still had trouble with my serve.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #105 of 109
Quote:

If you have your prejudices then there's nothing that will change it really

There's an awesome attitude to live by - if you feel this way why have you bothered replying to said people anyways? See if you can believe that I am not replying in "anger" but rather to question this contradiction.

Quote:

If she believes she has a shot, I can't help but think she should approach this later with more experience. The only that would change my mind from that if I were her, would be if I really felt I had something different, some edge I could use, if I could just work out how to use it.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back